weekly The Oakster's 52 - Week 11 "SHINY" added

And I thought we were all friends on here!

Thanks for looking everyone. I appreciate it. (y)

I prefer the first shot of your daughter out of the three. A very 'butter wouldnt melt in my mouth', sweet expression with great eye contact (y)

I prefer the first shot of your daughter out of the three. A very 'butter wouldnt melt in my mouth', sweet expression with great eye contact (y)

Thanks Nick. She's not always so sweet, I'll tell you!

You have 2 lovely images there and makes it a very tough one to choose from! They both have there merits! I do like the black and white one!

Cheers Michael. If the DoF or/and the positioning of the flowers wasnt wrong then the mono shot would be the one.

Thanks for commenting. (y)

Hi Ben

great image for SIGH...the expression says it all...like the mono...nice work mister :clap:

Sweet....quite liking the Sepia image....suits the building

Your 2 portraits are lovely....2nd one for me , even with the flower slightly covering the smile....her expression seems more natural ....it's a belter of a shot :clap:

Another for #1 on the portraits Ben :D
Lovely sweet smile, great eye contact too. Something a bit different from the more obvious interpretations I like your thinking (y) Iain

THe first of the two portraits for me - very nice!

Hi Ben, sorry mate but its another vote for the 1st shot of your daughter :D

Thanks Snorton :D

Hi Ben

great image for SIGH...the expression says it all...like the mono...nice work mister :clap:

Sweet....quite liking the Sepia image....suits the building

Your 2 portraits are lovely....2nd one for me , even with the flower slightly covering the smile....her expression seems more natural ....it's a belter of a shot :clap:

NOt only are you obviously the only one with good taste around here, you're also my new best friend :love: :LOL:

Another for #1 on the portraits Ben :D
Lovely sweet smile, great eye contact too. Something a bit different from the more obvious interpretations I like your thinking (y) Iain

Cheers Iain :D

THe first of the two portraits for me - very nice!

Grrr but thanks ;) :LOL:

For those that have read my other thread you'll know that I've had some camera issues :D

Thats now all sorted, a quick change around and then I ventured out for the first proper test shots. This wasnt meant to be an entry but after I looked at it I thought it may fit.

It caught my eye as despite all the security its obviously been breached at least 3 times!

Week 5 - Secure by The_Oakster, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Ben

week 5 already !

Right on theme & like the mono... :clap:though just to be awkward I'm wondering if the brickwork had those nice deep red tones which could have contrasted well with the boarding? (there's always one & it's usually me :LOL: )

ps..... I'm pressuming that the 3 fix's are some sort of wood ?...did it not occur to the owners that 3 times someone has smashed through the wooden doors.......maybe metal re-inforcement would be better :thinking:

Hi Ben

week 5 already !

Right on theme & like the mono... :clap:though just to be awkward I'm wondering if the brickwork had those nice deep red tones which could have contrasted well with the boarding? (there's always one & it's usually me :LOL: )

ps..... I'm pressuming that the 3 fix's are some sort of wood ?...did it not occur to the owners that 3 times someone has smashed through the wooden doors.......maybe metal re-inforcement would be better :thinking:

The brick work consisted of some light, sandy colours at the top that were all covered in salt from the sea air and just looked washed out in colour. As you get nearer the bottom they are darker but not the impressive old bricks your picturing.

As for the common sense NOT exhibited. What can I say other than that area of town isn't going to be producing any Einsteins in the near future ;)

Those doors are more secure-ish than properly secure with the bodge it and scarper repair job :LOL:
Bang on theme Ben but quite a tight crop on the doors. How does a wider crop look? I am with Lynne on the colour aspect as well :D
Good to hear you have sorted the camera issues. Iain

Hahaha I think I like it better in colour with the PP I did to get the mono and then just converting it back to colour!

Hi Ben,

Good take on this weeks theme, I much prefer the wider crop, not sure why but it puts the door in context and I like the lines created by the lighter bricks and drainpipe.

Carol

Shhhh Carol! I'm trying to win an argument here :LOL: ;)

michael23 said:
I think I am going with the wider crop, in black and white, the colour version looks good, but the b+w just has th edge. Maybe a bit of selective colouring might work?

Which bits would you colour though? :thinking:

Hi Ben, doing a bit of catch up.

Lovely portraits for 'sweet'. For me #1 because of the pose of hands, flowers and face all of which are in focus whreas #2 has the flowers oof and to me they should be part of the portrait.

Not sure about secure. seems a bit wonky and i can't understand the shadow at the top of the pic. Don't know whether that is the exposure or if there is a canopy above. Also not sure that it is quite on theme as the buliding does not seem all that secure:thinking:

Dark Knight said:
Ooo the wider cropped Colour for me Ben, for me you can see the run down look more with the graffiti and denatured sterling-board - not that the mono is poor, Great shots (y)

Many thanks. It's becoming my favourite too I think, just don't tell Lynne ;) (y)

superpippo said:
Hi Ben, doing a bit of catch up.

Lovely portraits for 'sweet'. For me #1 because of the pose of hands, flowers and face all of which are in focus whreas #2 has the flowers oof and to me they should be part of the portrait.

Point taken :)

superpippo said:
Not sure about secure. seems a bit wonky and i can't understand the shadow at the top of the pic. Don't know whether that is the exposure or if there is a canopy above. Also not sure that it is quite on theme as the buliding does not seem all that secure:thinking:

I don't see which bits wonky apart from the repairs ;) and the shadow is from the guttering. I liked it without that in but liked the shadow so cropped it just below.

The fact it's so not secure is what tickled me. Two big padlocks, one underneath a cover and a steel strip down the middle and yet it's clearly been broken into at least once!

I like the wider shot in B&W the best. The black and white shows more detail in the brickwork!

It covers the theme well and shows that whoever boarded it up has a different idea on secure!!

Sweet - Just to throw you I actually like the closed door shot

Secure - Another vote for the B&W conversion. You could even try an angled shot of this one to add another perspective.

I'm way behind on both my own and looking at others so I'm playing catchup :(

Sigh - Liking it, subtle and good choice on the conversion to B&W

Sweet - Definitely the second one.
The first one I can see what you were doing but I don't think the composition or the post processing works on it.
The third one is too tight a crop to evoke sweetness to me but a great shot.
Definietly the second one as it's a nice shot and gets more of the "sweetness" in the frame, love the expression (y)

Secure - Nicely framed and again the B&W works well with this. I wonder if you added a little more contrast if it would enhance the image anymore?

I like the wider shot in B&W the best. The black and white shows more detail in the brickwork!

It covers the theme well and shows that whoever boarded it up has a different idea on secure!!

Thanks Sarah

When I posted for some reason I did not see the edit of the wider version.. On the narrow version the door step and vertical sides are not parallel with the frame on my monitor - however that is not the case with the wider version, which I think is the better pic and i think works better in colour

Ah I see. Many thanks :D

Sweet - Just to throw you I actually like the closed door shot

Secure - Another vote for the B&W conversion. You could even try an angled shot of this one to add another perspective.

Thanks for the comments. The angled version is a possibility but all these other edits are keeping me busy enough!

The B + W in the wider crop is looking good, agree with others some selective colour would add to it. Area of colour I think would the locks and the centre wooden panel,

Your wish is my command :p

I'm way behind on both my own and looking at others so I'm playing catchup :(

Sigh - Liking it, subtle and good choice on the conversion to B&W

Sweet - Definitely the second one.
The first one I can see what you were doing but I don't think the composition or the post processing works on it.
The third one is too tight a crop to evoke sweetness to me but a great shot.
Definietly the second one as it's a nice shot and gets more of the "sweetness" in the frame, love the expression (y)

Secure - Nicely framed and again the B&W works well with this. I wonder if you added a little more contrast if it would enhance the image anymore?

If you up the contrast the boarding loses definition and I'm not clever enough to do it selectively yet. :D

Thanks for all the comments (y)

mono wide shot for me

Thanks Lizzie :D

Wow have I not been on your thread for a while? I seemed to be a few weeks behind!

I prefer the second shot of your daughter, but to throw another choice what does that one look like in colour?

I like the wide colour shot of the door, not keen on the area that has been selectively coloured as it looks too central and splits the image!

Back