weekly The Oakster's 52 - Week 11 "SHINY" added

I completely agree with you all :D

I get no inspiration at all from 'root'. I figured there would be loads of tree pictures posted so I didnt want to do that and I am trying to use a different technique, style of shot or PP'ing for each week. The idea being that I am trying to concentrate on the technical side of the shot rather than the subject.

Here is the original shot before I adjusted it. Maybe you can see the root element better :shrug:

Tree Root by The_Oakster, on Flickr

And here is the shot to show what the root element is if it's still not clear.

Tree Root by The_Oakster, on Flickr

Hi Ben

great 1st image for Root...love the colors & sharpness....also like the 3rd image showing more of the root leading to the tree...maybe a much lower POV as in right down on the ground at the end of the root shooting towards t& showing the base if the tree would also work ?

Good take on the theme & well shot :clap:

Hiya Ben,

I like your 1st one; clearly a root, but I like the last one even better. It looks like the one my lawnmower chops to bits :)

Thanks for the comments everyone :D

Ive had a busy week with shift work, tonsilitis infected kids and bad weather add that to finding out I have nothing in my house that is handmade at all and its been tough from a TP point!!

I will submit this for my week 8 but its not great and I haven't had a chance to comment on any of the other week 8's but I should be back now. I hope.

Week 8 - Handmade by The_Oakster, on Flickr

I like the vibrant colours in this one Ben, good composition too. Small niggle would be the oof spinning top in the foreground, a little distracting.
Good work on keeping your 52 going whilst feeling poorly. Iain

Well done Ben for managing to get a photo taken on such a busy week! I like the colours on this one and your use of DOF.:)

I was told by Andy (Posiview) once that things work better in odd numbers, I can't decide if that would work on this pic or not:shrug:.

I hope this week is quieter for you and that the kids recover quickly for you as well!

Hi Ben...hope the kiddies are all recovered now...tonisilits is a mare :(

Handmade....like it....good colors & use of DOF....odd numbers do work better so maybe lose the furthest top or put another one in if you ever feel like a reshoot ?

Good work on keeping going through your trials though (y)

Well done for keeping going (y) nice colourful image.

Thanks for the great comments everyone. Its been an effort again this week because of my work/kids/blah blah blah ;)

However, Week 9 - Money. Not much to do except take a photo of money so I messed around with a few things and as I've said before the content isnt the issue its trying to learn a different type of shot or technique that I try.

This one started out with a makeshift home studio set up with a tripod and lighting etc but as I looked through the shots it was the detail and colour in the notes that caught my eye so it's ended up with the notes in good detail and to mix things up I added a border! :LOL:

Week 9 - Money by The_Oakster, on Flickr

Critiques, comments and cheques made payable to Ben all appreciated :p

Hi Ben

Handmade - lovely colours and movement well captured. Good lighting. Agree with others about odd numbers and that the front top could be a bit sharper or further back. But did not get relationship to the theme. Not sure if it is because they have been made by hand or spun by hand

Money - nice to see a well complsed pidture with pictures in it. good arrangement and fills the frame and the details of the etched lines well captured. And the odd number does work well(y)

Hi Ben, hope the kids are feeling better which must have taken up a lot of your time, really like the 'handmade' spinning tops, great colours and composition so great choice of lens.

'Money' - again great composition. I like the way the eyes peer over the edge of the previous notes. If i'm being a bit picky would like to have seen a little more of HM The Queens nose to balance with the others, very nice colours and a great image (y)

Thanks for the great comments everyone. Its been an effort again this week because of my work/kids/blah blah blah ;)

However, Week 9 - Money. Not much to do except take a photo of money so I messed around with a few things and as I've said before the content isnt the issue its trying to learn a different type of shot or technique that I try.

This one started out with a makeshift home studio set up with a tripod and lighting etc but as I looked through the shots it was the detail and colour in the notes that caught my eye so it's ended up with the notes in good detail and to mix things up I added a border! :LOL:

Week 9 - Money by The_Oakster, on Flickr

Critiques, comments and cheques made payable to Ben all appreciated :p

Love the money shot........bang on...(y)

A lot of people have gone down the same path this week with this type of shot you either take the obvious differently or come up with something different you have done the first and I think you have done the best job I have seen so far,
I love the way you have shown a bit more of the face in each picture great colours too A* of me. :clap:

Amazing comments again everyone! I enjoyed taking the photo and the preparation etc. I don't have much confidence in my shots but that will grow I'm sure.

It's a shame that people haven't carried the 52 weeks on but I can see why sometimes. The topics are tricky and it takes time to sort the shots out but we still have 30-40 left from the original 100. Well done everyone still in it (y)

Last edited:
I like the detail, composition and colours, and agree that you've captured the holograms really well!

Industry - I like this but unfortunately the skip doesn't do anything for me

Root - This doesn't do much for me I'm afraid - sorry

Handmade - Now this one I do like. The colours and DoF work really well

Money - Nice, sharp and well exposed

Thanks for the comments again people :D

Week 10 - Win. Seriously, who picks these words!!

Here is my submission. Its a tankard I won when I was in the Army - Best Shot.

The technical aspect is the studio set up with controlled highlights and reflections. I'm not overly impressed with the tankard. It looked a lot cleaner before I looked at the picture but I the reflections and highlights work well.

Comments and critiques welcome ;)

Week 10 - Win by The_Oakster, on Flickr

Well what can I say after your very kind comments on mine Ben.....

Excellent shot. Agree the reflections work really well. The only niggle is the scratch on the right hand side, maybe clone out in ps? Nevertheless it's well lit and works wonderfully against the black background (y)

Cheers you two. I have edited the scratch and increased the room in the shot but Flickr is being rubbish and wont let me get the BB code. :(

When I get it I'll post it :D

Back