weekly Southdowns' 52/2012 - Week 52 - Busy SP Posted. Thank You, and Goodnight :)

oh well done and right on theme, though I agree about the shiny bits where the vent was :clap:

well-cloned sir :banana:

i think it fits the theme perfectly. It must have taken a while to produce :clap:

Excellent abstract image, really nicely done. Symmetry is also spot on, and very nice bit of clean up work.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Fact is, I agree with them all, especially the negative ones, so it's definitely not my submission for this week. Learned a lot from it though :)

Sooooo, here's my submission this week: Natural Symmetry. This one I AM pleased with :)

W24 - Natural Symetry.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

I did a horizontal tryptic too, but it works better this way I think.

Last edited:
I like that one Mark...beat me to it as well. I saw an article in Amateur Photographer today with some similar photographs.

I like the composition and especially how each leaf has three element to each leaf.

Cheers.

Have to say Mark, I prefer the triptych.. suits the theme really well

Nice triptych. You've really captured symmetry in nature. I thought about a nature one but maybe was too ambitious when I started googling to find out how to create my own snowflakes:eek:

Hi Mark

Better late than never hey :cautious: :bonk:

Abstract - That's very clever, nice to see how you done it, extremely effective, loving the colours !!!

Symmetry - That's really good, I think it works well, taking the buildings out is done very well and certainly makes the shot symmetrical, really liking the sky too

The natural symmetry set is very effective presented vertically, and with the ever increasing sizes and spot on dof, spot on (y)

Hi Mark, and you should be proud!!:clap:

I really really like your natural symmetry. The tryptic works well and I hadn't thought about making one verticle!:) Focus, exposure and DOF spot on, well done!:)

Mark, the natural Symmetry Tryptic works well in my opinion , well done

and pleased you should be Mark...great idea , well shot ,pp'd & laid out :clap:

I saw an article in Amateur Photographer today with some similar photographs.

Yeah, they copied my idea ;). No problem though, I have my legal team on the case.

Glad you like it!

Hi Mark, like the triptych and the composition is relly good in the pics too.

Hi Mark, I like the triptych too.

I was debating symmetry in nature, I just need to get out and find something.

Have to say Mark, I prefer the triptych.. suits the theme really well

Thank you all :)

Nice triptych. You've really captured symmetry in nature. I thought about a nature one but maybe was too ambitious when I started googling to find out how to create my own snowflakes:eek:

Wow, did you find out how? I think we should have a meet to do that!!!!

Abstract - That's very clever, nice to see how you done it, extremely effective, loving the colours !!!

Symmetry - That's really good, I think it works well, taking the buildings out is done very well and certainly makes the shot symmetrical, really liking the sky too

The natural symmetry set is very effective presented vertically, and with the ever increasing sizes and spot on dof, spot on (y)

Thanks!!! To be honest, I hadn't even noticed that I had the leaves in size order! I spent ages working out the correct order based on the colours and tones, but didn't think once about the sizes! I'll put it down to being a natural artist; I don't need to stoop so low as to consciously think about stuff!!!

Hi Mark, and you should be proud!!:clap:

I really really like your natural symmetry. The tryptic works well and I hadn't thought about making one verticle!:) Focus, exposure and DOF spot on, well done!:)

As I say, I tried a horizontal one, but it didn't really work. It must be to do with those sizes that I didn't notice!!! Glad you like it, thanks :)

Mark, the natural Symmetry Tryptic works well in my opinion , well done

Cheers Lizzy!

Symmetry liking the leaves idea a lot. I thought of a similar idea but couldn't make it work. Like buses the right leaves never seem to be around when you want them.

Yes it's amazing how things you think of as symmetrical aren't when you start to look at them closely! Or if they are, they're in completely the wrong place to get a nice photo!

and pleased you should be Mark...great idea , well shot ,pp'd & laid out :clap:

Why, thank you Ma'am :)

The tryptic is a really great idea and bang on for this theme. I was going to do similar but abandoned when I saw this!!

Nicely done, good leaf choices and overall effect.

You shouldn't abandon an idea just because someone else does it, especially me! That said, that's why I try not to look at others until I've done my own!

Thanks for your comment, I'm pleased you like it.

I have to say I'm still loving this. It's just wonderful to find something vaguely creative I can get results out of that I'm reasonably happy with. Everything I've ever done before has been more scientific than creative. I even find myself thinking about kit in terms of what it can be used for creatively, instead of in engineering terms, which is unheard of for this gadget freak!!!!!!

I'm not saying I'm in any way artistic in comparison to others - I'm not stupid enough to think that - but I am being more creative than I've ever been before :)

Thanks for the encouragement everyone (y)

(PS, it's also nice to have a hobby at last that my wife actually approves of!)

Last edited:
Definitely the natural symmetry photograph gets my vote Mark (y)

Everything about it works, lovely colour tones in there, very appealing!

I enjoyed reading your little back story as to where you are with your photography and your artistic view on things now. All round good work. Looking forward to meeting you and the others this week. Iain

Cheers Iain! See you at the weekend :)

Here goes then. I'm not going to shoot Moody; I have a couple of ideas, but no facilities to carry them through. I may post a shot if I can do later on.

Instead, I'm using the reshoot to have another go at secure, which I wasn't that happy with before. This one has turned out exactly how I imagined it, so I hope you like it :)

All PP done on my iPad.

W25 - Secure Reshoot by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Last edited:
OK, I lied! I took this yesterday, and didn't think I'd be able to process it for moody, but I think it works. I've always found the Angel of the North quite moody or imposing.

I don't want my work to be all in the PP; I don't want to be "rescuing" average photos with heavy PP, but I think this was a good shot even before the PP, which just adds to the impact and feel of it. I'd be interested to hear what you lot think though :)

W25 - Moody by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Reshoot - Great shot. It fits the theme and the processing really suits the subject

Moody - Cracking shot. I liked the processing on your reshoot but love the prcocessing on this one. It would have been so easy to take a standard shot of this subject but this has been lifted considerably out of that zone. Well done.

Here... I have corrected it for you ;)

... I'll put it down to being a natural P1ss-artist; .......

Hi Mark... only kidding

Re-Shoot - Boy that is good, excellent image, I can't fault it at all :clap:

Moody - Bang on, real good processing, and the angle gives it great presence !!!!

Last edited:
Oops, you know me too well DK!

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Last edited:
both excellent shots saw the angle of the north back in March and it is quite moody I have to agree

Moody - great picture and processing, really works for this one. Good work (y) and glad that you did lie :)

Reshoot - I like it but a little too processed for me. Good idea though, very hard hitting and high impact.

Hi Mark, I think your reshoot for secure is excellent. I love the processing on it, it makes it a really powerful shot:clap:

Moody, again the PP has worked really well here. The Angel of the North has been photographed a lot so you've done well to make this your own and not the same old shot (y)

I also have to add that I like how you've made your pride shot into your logo, very clever(y)

Hi Mark,

Secure reshoot - Processings great, ideas great and very well taken and thought of - as you can probably guess I like this one!

Moody - as above really, the diagonal composition adds to this as well!

A good week for you Mark it must be the northern air!!:LOL::LOL:

Thanks everyone :)

Vicky, I'll post the original up when I get back on Monday. I think it's a nice shot, but it didn't suit moody without the PP.

I'll also get around to comment on a few others when I'm back.

Soooo, for those interested (Vicky), here's the original, completely untouched from the camera except the watermark. S'good (if I say so myself!), but s'not moody!!!

20120619-185821.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Last edited:
First thing I thought was Kate Winslet from Titanic :D

#1 for me...moody processing, if not subject.

Must get up there for a closer look sometime.

Cheers.

Mark, the reshoot is really good, and fits the theme... nice bit of PP too

Moody, a great shot, and the PP really makes it moody... the original is moody in a way, but a far more light and airy mood.. not sure it quite goes with the intent though ;)

Thanks everyone :)

Not much time this week. I did have a pretty good idea, but no time to execute it.

Still, I'm quite pleased with this. I think I've managed to capture joy in Mandy's eyes, enhanced by the smily melon face! I know some won't like the close crop, but I do!

W26 - Joy.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Back