SSDs and Lightroom

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Just posting this as a thought process more than anything else. Hopefully others will find it useful.

I've been running an i7-2600K/16G memory system for 18 months. In that time, I've always run it with a 90G Vertex 2 SSD as boot drive and 1TB of storage space. Having recently been using a couple of laptops with SSDs in, I've become a bit "meh" about the performance of the i7 system. I know it isn't the processor that's doing that as it's much more powerful than the laptops, and has more memory. It HAS to be the disks.

Playing with browsing through Lightroom the other night and monitoring what was going on in the Disk tab of Resource Monitor, it was very easy to see that the reason LR was slow was that it was reading a lot of data from the data disk. This surprised me - I expected that it would be reading from the Camera Raw cache directory, but not the image files themselves.

files.gif

This is actually one of the system after I've upgraded, but you can see that it hits the filestore disk hard. Note: I think Resource Monitor has a decay function - that is, it reports more files open than are actually open.

Time to get the data files onto a faster SSD. Now which one....

I've been a little wary of Sandforce based SSDs (the ones that end in 10's of GBs - 60, 120, 240 etc...). This is because they compress the data as it gets written to flash to gain speed and space. This is a problem as images and videos - essentially everything I work with - is already compressed. This means write performance is often compromised with this data. I prefer the more expensive Marvell based disks, as they tend to have a more even performance profile and they have very fast compressed data write times too (in practice, this is probably me being prejudiced as 95% of the time I'll be reading from the disk and that's just as fast). I don't have that many pictures - perhaps 100GBytes and I don't have much else in Documents: a 128G SSD is not going to be enough, 256G is what's needed. I'll probably manage this down to something lower than 100GB but I don't want to be constantly managing my data (I'll be keeping the 1TB drive in as extra storage). I decided on a 256G Corsair Performance Pro.

Looking at the price of 128G SSDs the newer ones are at a price/performance point where I might as well upgrade my system disk as well. Here write performance is immaterial (I rarely add new programs to the system) but something more current generation with excellent read performance. Might as well go for an OCZ-Vertex 3.

Like any benchmark, there's allsorts which will provide numbers, and they're all just numbers... Starting with the old system (read only benchmarks) here's the two graphs for the Vertex 2 and the old HDD

vertex-2-read.png
samsung-1TB-read.png

The Vertex 2 is pretty patchy on performance, and the HDD shows a slowing down the further out you get. Also, notice the access times 18.6ms for the HDD and 0.17ms for the Vertex 2. The 18ms will cause significant slowing down of reads from the HDD if you're reading multiple things at once.

The new drives (OCZ-Vertex 3 and 256G Corsair)

ocz-120G-read.png
cpp-256G-read.png

which are much more consistent and much higher performance (I have a motherboard that supports SATA III 6Gbps links). These benchmarks are for 64k blocks - if you up it to 1MByte blocks, the latter two get into the late 400MB/s read performance. Notice the much lower - and more consistent - access times.

What's the result? Well, everything is more snappy. All apps that read data from my home directory start much quicker. Thunderbird starts significantly quicker - it's reading a fairly large folder off my home SSD now. Browsing performance in Lightroom is significantly better too.

Bottom line: keep an older HDD in the system for relatively infrequently used data, but try and keep as much of your current data as you can on fast SSDs - including your user directories.

Interesting write up.
I've got 4 x hybrid disks that I use for my main Lightroom. One for os, one for this years raw files, one for the cache and one for the catalogue. Then I've a couple of 2tb disks for jpegs exports and older raw files.
performance seems reasonable.
I've just got a vertex 3 ssd 240 gb to swap in as my os disk. I must get around to it soon.

I was pondering this very thing this week myself Andy

Bottom line: keep an older HDD in the system for relatively infrequently used data, but try and keep as much of your current data as you can on fast SSDs - including your user directories.

Came to the same conclusion as well

its true, my raw images are stored on the nas and thats always chomping away when lightroom is open.

i was thinking about moving files from the NAS to the SSD while editing then back again but thats going to serverly impact workflow..

i was thinking about moving files from the NAS to the SSD while editing then back again but thats going to serverly impact workflow..
Second SSD as your main disk with moving significant portions of your catalogue to NAS when you've finished with them (say >6 months)... TBH I probably should have saved £80 and gone for a 240G Vertex 3. Here are the read/write speeds of incompressible data (AKA images). You can see the tradeoff the Sandforce controller has....

Vertex 3 120G

ocz-120G-as-compr-bench.png

Perf. Pro 256G

cpp-256G-as-compr-bench.png

The 240G Vertex 3 will be faster than the 120G and can be had for £140.

Not sure what the percentages refer to though....

Second SSD as your main disk with moving significant portions of your catalogue to NAS when you've finished with them (say >6 months)... TBH I probably should have saved £80 and gone for a 240G Vertex 3. Here are the read/write speeds of incompressible data (AKA images). You can see the tradeoff the Sandforce controller has....

Vertex 3 120G

http://www.arad85.co.uk/hosted/talkp/SSD/ocz-120G-as-compr-bench.png

Perf. Pro 256G

http://www.arad85.co.uk/hosted/talkp/SSD/cpp-256G-as-compr-bench.png

The 240G Vertex 3 will be faster than the 120G and can be had for £140.

Not sure what the percentages refer to though....

yeah true a 240 should be a good amount of space for images to go back to.

where are you seeing them for £140? ebuyer is £170.

Last edited:
Is this not a situation where SSD caching would come in handy? Yes the 1st read would be slow but once it's loaded that once you get SSD performance but rust capacity.

It's something I am considering but I need to look into the practicalities of the set up further (ie do i have to use both the Intel SATA3 headers for this of can I use SATA2 for the HD).

Possibly, but you need a chipset that supports it which means Z68 or Q/H/Z77. I'm also not convinced that the cache drives will be as fast as the bigger SSD drives (in the same way the smaller drives are not as fast as their bigger brethren). They should be cheaper though and they will definitely reduce access times....

i used to put /User/ directory on a mechanical drive, WD Black, and windows performance isn't fantastic. then i bought 128GB M4, installed Windows with default /User/ on the SSD, everything is so much more snappier.

but for RAW images, i think it's still a bit expensive to store images on there. you really need mass storage space for that kind of things.

good point about caching, i'll play around with caching and see what happens. im running FancyCache which is hardware independent and can cache into RAM. 16GB is slightly overkill IMHO so im using 6GB of it for RAMdisk and cache on the SSD (it cuts down SSD write by 60%).

one problem i see with caching is that i don't see the point re-reading the RAW files. surely Lightroom should read RAW files into RAM anyway?

Win7 caches any way - what's the benefit of a 3rd party piece of software for caching? (serious question...).

I have a mechanical disk for backing store. I don't take too many pictures, but for even the most hardened of photographers, the last 6 months should be fairly easy to keep on an SSD.

As to rereading the files, I've not been able to get LR to use more than 1.8G of memory, so it will be releasing the images as you go through the system. No idea how many it keeps in its internal cache tho...

Win7 caches any way - what's the benefit of a 3rd party piece of software for caching? (serious question...).

I have a mechanical disk for backing store. I don't take too many pictures, but for even the most hardened of photographers, the last 6 months should be fairly easy to keep on an SSD.

As to rereading the files, I've not been able to get LR to use more than 1.8G of memory, so it will be releasing the images as you go through the system. No idea how many it keeps in its internal cache tho...
It was only an idea I've been playing with for an upcoming build. Not sure if it will happen yet as a: it means a 2nd SSD and b: I'm not sure it will work when you have more than 1 volume. The docs all focus on the single HD with and SSD cache, as this was the primary goal of the technology.

The goal was to allow speedier access to large storage to prevent the need for data shuffling.

andy, what are your thoughts on the Samsung 128GB 830 Series SSD?

thinking of getting a pair to replace my aging vertex 2 60Gb, one as a boot and one as a staging post for images in lightroom.

Nice and cheap and pretty performant from what I can see. They seem to get recommended on other forums that we're on quite a lot (together with the M4's). Should probably have gone with one of those instead of the OCZ....

It could be close to 2 years old then!!!!

Back