Haida 10 stop filters

leftcurl said:
no, just AWB and away we go. i wanted to see how it would look without tweaking anything and this is what i got. Ok, so it was a great day for it, with a nice blue sky and a bit of wind to give the clouds some movement - but it gives me confidence now to go out and give it a bash in varying conditions and lighting.

here is their store on fleabay (y)

I bought one of these to have a play with long exposures. £30 well spent in my opinion. This is High Force in Teesdale on a very bright sunny day.

7181487680_722a07fa24_c.jpg

Yes, Haida 3.0 10-stops ND from Camera Gear UK (good e-bay supplier) and also from retailers Premier-Ink.

Interesting; was thinking of getting a HiTech but this looks good from some of these shots! Do I just get a step-up adaptor or something to fit it on my nikon 18-55mm lens? (52mm)

This was taken with a B+W 10 stopper bought second hand off the forum this was the first shot taken with it the colour was very accurate

bam11_edited-1.jpg

cost was £63.00
B+W 77mm 110 ND3 10 stop - non multicoated
Regards
Richard

They got a damn fine review in Advanced Photography Magazine last month.

They (almost) all did actually - Hoya, LightCraftWorkshop, Heliopan, Lee, with B+W coming top by a short head and Haida being by far the cheapest - all good. Only the HiTech Pro Stop was diappointing with infrared pollution problems.

They vary in density a bit, with Hoya and LCW being nearer eight than ten stops, not that it matters much in practise. And none of them is perfectly neutral in colour - but all easily corrected with a custom white balance or in post procesing. Unfortunately, you can't correct IR issues properly.

BTW, it's Advanced Photographer magazine Frank ;)

Hi,

Just bought this filter. Looks solid and well built. But measured the light on my rooms wall with camera expometer: without filter - 1/5 sec., with it - 10 sec. And that is only 6 stops. I also get 6 stops when measuring the lamp itself. For eg with my ND8 i get 3 stops as it should be. Shouldnt I get 10 stops with it? What do you get with yours?

Cheers,
Joe

Hi,

Just bought this filter. Looks solid and well built. But measured the light on my rooms wall with camera expometer: without filter - 1/5 sec., with it - 10 sec. And that is only 6 stops. I also get 6 stops when measuring the lamp itself. For eg with my ND8 i get 3 stops as it should be. Shouldnt I get 10 stops with it? What do you get with yours?

Cheers,
Joe

The Haida I tested was a bit over ten stops, though they're likely to vary a smidge batch to batch. What you are probably measuring is the light coming through the viewfinder, which is more than is coming through the lens. You must always cover the viewfinder when using these things.

The only way to measure it accurately is to take a picture of a plain wall without and then with the filter (viewfinder covered). Adjust the shutter speed until the two images are the same brightness, and then calculate the difference.

,Just bought this filter. Looks solid and well built. But measured the light on my rooms wall with camera expometer: without filter - 1/5 sec., with it - 10 sec. And that is only 6 stops. I also get 6 stops when measuring the lamp itself. For eg with my ND8 i get 3 stops as it should be. Shouldnt I get 10 stops with it? What do you get with yours?

This is quite common with high-density ND filters to varying extents. It's because the filter isn't very good at blocking IR and the fact that the exposure sensor is sensitive to IR whilst the imaging sensor is not.

My Heliopan 10-stopper is only around 5 or 6 stops on my IR camera.

As Richard says, the only way to tell for sure is to take pictures.

I only saw this thread the other day and was prompted to order a filter yesterday, and will hopefully arrive tomorrow. I didn't think I could have got a 10 stop filter so cheap. And I know especially with lenses and filters, you get what you pay for, but hopefully it will be good enough for me. I'm not expecting perfection. ;)

I'm looking to use it, initially at least, to try and make tourists disappear when I'm on holiday.

I will have to do some tests to see how accurate the 10 stop claim is.

Glad I seen this. I'd seen the Haida ones on ebay recently but decided not to order one in case they weren't up to much. Some lovely pics here have just convinced me otherwise.

Hi,

Cheers,
Joe

I found the same as Hoppy has said, and that mine is more like 11 stops rather than 10, and definitely not 6 stops.

Very nice Martin, love the 1st shot. Havent been out with mine for a few months so feel a trip coming on this weekend :)

Thanks Matt. I'm struggling for motivation atm due to the awful weather.

My filter came in 2 days. :clap: :D

I had a quick play with it today out through the back window, and it seems to be 10 Stops. Mine went from 1/30th to 30 seconds looking at the same scene.

It had a blue colour cast, but because of the scene, grey rooftops, fixing the colour was one click. (y)

Had mine last week, only took one photo to test, AWB, seems to have a slight blue tint, nothing major, certainly nothing that cant be taken out in PP or custom WB.

Very happy.

For the money it really is great. I don't use it very often so didn't want to spend hundreds but when I do use it I'm always impressed.

Nothing good just a quick test with it I took last weekend:

Derwent Dam by bensambrook, on Flickr

Just to let you all know that we soon have a new version of the Haida ND1000 filters coming very shortly.

A multi-coated version very similar to the coatings found on the Marumi Super DHG series.

Keep the great pictures coming guys & gals :)

Just to let you all know that we soon have a new version of the Haida ND1000 filters coming very shortly.

A multi-coated version very similar to the coatings found on the Marumi Super DHG series.

Typical, just after I've bought one. :bang: :LOL:

Seriously, thanks for the heads up. Will there be a significant increase in price? :shrug:

Just ordered one from premier inks. Tried cameragearuk but they had no stock. Understandable now, if a new version, is to be released.

They will be initially offered at £49.99 as an intro price, but after that the normal price will be £54.99.

A lot of work have gone into these new ones, we hope you're going to like them

btw: Yes, slim frames are OOS, but replacements on the way!

Last edited:
Sorry to ask what might be a silly question but what benefits will the new model have over the current one? Cheers, Ben

hollis_f said:
Multi-coatings should reduce the incidence of flare and loss of contrast.

In addition to glare reduction, the new coating will also have a scratch proof layer, making them ultra tough and easy to clean.

They got a damn fine review in Advanced Photography Magazine last month.
Can i be cheeky and ask for a scan or photo of the advanced photography review on 10 stops could i? I can not find any decent reviews anywhere.

I've got a Haida 1.8 which I tried out yesterday morning, after seeing the results I got with that I'm certainly gonna have a put on one of their 10 stop filters. :)

They have the pro 2 versions on ebay at the moment, finally decided to have a play with a 10 stopper.

For the money they do look spot on, think I might have to try one out for myself soon.

do you have problems keeping image in focus when putting it on the lens my wide angle does not have a focus lock on it

seems a better bet than the £100 plus for the square filters and adapters etc

greenoak said:
do you have problems keeping image in focus when putting it on the lens my wide angle does not have a focus lock on it

seems a better bet than the £100 plus for the square filters and adapters etc

You need to focus without the filter on, then switch to manual focus to stop it refocusing. If you want to refocus you will need to take the filter off first. That's one disadvantage off having a screw on filter

thats the new one, i went for one yesterday, should be here today or tomorrow

Back