Grasmoor Fell, Lake District, UK

Edit My Images
No
Yesterday I headed out with a group to tackle Grasmoor Fell. We went for the hard direct approach climbing 2000ft of the face of it which was very steep and went from grass to heather to snow and ice and at points it was near vertical! The views from the top were obscured by a big snow cloud we ended up in. Due to time I shot either in the EXR mode or pano mode of my fuji X10.

Grasmoor Fell by Ferj Photography, on Flickr

Wow! Nice work climbing up that! As for the shots #2 and #4 are awesome (especially #4). Think #2 could be even better if there was a bit more space at the bottom of the photo but no biggie. The last one has a stunning view and the rays of light are so nice however I think there was a bit too much foreground for me.

Anyway in general awesome set :)

Since nobody else has commented yet, I'll make a start.

First of all, you were brave going up there in the weather you experienced, but obviously it was worth it from the high quality of the images you brought back.

Just a couple of comments, though which I hope you don't take a sbeing too harsh......

#1. I would have cropped out a bit of the snowy foreground to put the group at the left hand third, which to me would make it more interesting.

#2. To me, the group on the bottom rhs leads my eye out of the picture. I would try a crop which would just take them out of the image and see what it looks like.

#3. Not sure if this was hdr'd or not but the grass seems un-naturally bright to me.....but that's just me; I'm not a fan of HDR! I would like to hear what others say.

Keep up the good work.

Ernie

2 & 4 for me.
Can look past the ramblers, even the one determined not get lost and stick out like a sore thumb.
I see the valley carved out with the stream meandering down it, leading to the other side and lightly dusted with snow hilltop.

4 looks very clean, albeit slightly pushed on the saturation front, but still highly agreeable and acceptable.

nice set, have to say though i'm very distracted by the watermark, totally understand the need for it but why straighta across the middle of what are stunning photographs

Good work in tough conditions, really liking 2 and 4 though they all are good. Not liking the water mark so much.

Thanks for all the positive comments :) I also appreciate the constructive comments and will work on my watermark and its placement & cropping! To be honest I kept the people in as I am passing them on to our walking group but get what people are saying photographically!

For information, No 4 was taken probably around 1000ft up just before it nearly went vertical and got snowy and icy. it was amazingly clear and the Pano feature on the X10 is just sooo good (especially handheld!). I wouldn't have had time to do it all with a DSLR, tripod etc. I wish I had had more time to hang about and get photos but it gets dark so quick in the winter, just not worth the risk!

4's really nice and 2 & 5 both look good but as mentioned above they could possibly do with a crop across the bottom.

Which walking group is it? I've been thinking about joining a lakes based group as I currently tend to go out alone so have to be a bit more careful about what I tackle, particularly in winter.

4's really nice and 2 & 5 both look good but as mentioned above they could possibly do with a crop across the bottom.

Which walking group is it? I've been thinking about joining a lakes based group as I currently tend to go out alone so have to be a bit more careful about what I tackle, particularly in winter.

Its actually a work based group form Lancashire and we tend to do walks all over, I completely understand why, I wouldn't have wanted to do it on my own, it was a bit of a whiteout at the top and quite disorientating!

Back