weekly Dacmirc's 52 Week Challenge 2013

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Id just like to say im really looking forwards to doing this challenge this year. I feel this is what i need to do to make me think outside the box with regards to the pictures im taking.

Ive just purchased some flash equipment for my 580ex ii so hopefully ill get plenty of use of that in my shots.

I look forwards to seeing the rest of the 52 Challenge unfold and your critique.

Many Thanks Lee

Week 1 : Sin
Week 2 : Season
Week 3 : Gravity
Week 4 : Wild
Week 5 : Space
Week 6 : Work
Week 7 : Gluttony
Week 8 :
Week 9 :
Week 10 :
Week 11 :
Week 12 :
Week 13 :
Week 14 :
Week 15 :
Week 16 :
Week 17 :
Week18 :
Week 19 :
Week 20 :
Week 21 :
Week 22 :
Week 23 :
Week 24 :
Week 25 :
Week 26 :
Week 27 :
Week 28 :
Week 29 :
Week 30 :
Week 31 :
Week 32 :
Week 33 :
Week 34 :
Week 35 :
Week 36 :
Week 37 :
Week 38 :
Week 39 :
Week 40 :
Week 41 :
Week 42 :
Week 43 :
Week 44 :
Week 45 :
Week 46 :
Week 47 :
Week 48 :
Week 49 :
Week 50 :
Week 51 :
Week 52 :

Last edited:
Look forward to seeing your shots and hopefully this will help us all develop our skills and thinking
And the loonies that lurk here seem nice :D

Hi Lee...& welcome to the 52's madhouse :wave:

look forward to seeing your shots (y)

Sin by Dacmirc, on Flickr

Well here's my first submission. The thinking behind this photo is a man would be prepared to 'sin' or commit a 'sin' for a person they care about as signified in the small photo.

I had this idea when the theme first was announced. Im not sure how technically correct it is as im v new to flash photography. I only currently have one flash atm and it is a self shot picture. If i had some help in doing this pic i would have liked to have some sort of fill light on the ground and also the picture with maybe a snoot of sorts.

Processing was a bit of a crop, sharpening, white balance off from lettering of the hoodie and a vignette.

Be Gentle :) cant wait to read what you think.

thats a really good start its nice to see something a little different :clap: dont think I would have got it without the explanation but that is not a bad thing. weel done for thinking a little outside the box (y)

Hi Lee :)

Sin - I'm liking that a lot, I'm not up on the technical side of stuff much, only just trying OCF myself, really like what you have produced, nice and bright yet the light from that angle has produced effective shadows on your face and the wall - Great take on the theme (y)

Eeek, is that you?? if so, it's great!

Liking the idea behind your Sin, but would not have known it was a photograph.

Having 3 daughters I agree with the story behind the theme.

I'd like it a tad closer and I'd like to see a more dramatic holding of the knife. WB looks good and nice rich yellows.

Great start.

Cheers.

I though the jumper might have been a bit too much im my own worst critic, thought it may draw away from eye ( knife or pic) yea thats me and i was pressing the remote to take this shot, u might notice the remote in the knife hand! :confused: thank you so much for all your comments, really looking forwards to the next theme! Cant believe how inspiring everyone's shots are really think that this will bring on my skills as a photographer :)

I got the the connection and like the way the knife is held pondering over the photo by a hoodie leaning back on a wall. Very creative yet could be reality. Well done.

He looked more sad than threatening to me but I did not notice the photo until you mentioned it.

Fake blood, I made some today, heated flour and water and red food colouring and simmered until started to thicken, stirring constantly but discovered you don't need to worry about lumps as they look like clots. No idea as to quantity as made it up as I went along

Christine - Ive seen your fake blood in the shot absolutely wicked (Blood and Shot)! I was going to make some and do so some splatter, might even do it this week if i manage to get time and a cheap hoodie from Primark.

Michael - Ive actually learned something from doing this shot, i didn't realize there was a switch on the back of the canon remote that could change it to two seconds. I agree the knife holding grip is a bit naff! I was actually pressing the shutter release button at the same time.

Thanks again for commenting!

Christine - Ive seen your fake blood in the shot absolutely wicked (Blood and Shot)! I was going to make some and do so some splatter, might even do it this week if i manage to get time and a cheap hoodie from Primark.

Thank you. It might wash out, came off me, dog and cat quite easily (cat got in way while I was splattering and dog stuck nose in pan in case you wonder how they got it on them)

works very well for the theme.. not much clue on using flash so cant really comment on that other than I think you did a great job on the lighting.. like the vivid yellow hoodie, adds a nice pop of colour

Hi lee,

Fantastic image, very well lit and a nice dark sinister feel to it, i cant help but feeling that it would of benefitted from some fake blood though, would of drawn the eyes attention to the knife a little more and helped to portray the story :)

Danny

WinterCat by Dacmirc, on Flickr

Well this is my submission for season so far, hopefully manage to get at least another on in before the end of the week

The story behind it is:-

Noticed this stray cat whilst in my Nan's back garden, The theme for this week being "season" well its winter and the poor little beggar looked cold as it was shivering on the fence.

I gave him/her half my bacon buttie :)

Im not 100% sure about the image as i think the story is needed to explain the theme but ill see what you guys think.

Hi, Lee, that is one fed up cat :D

I thought s shallower DOF would be better but then again, the BG gives it some context and with the cat being ginger it stands put anyway. Good eye contact as well?

Crit....hmmm, I might cropped out the bright sky.

And :clap: for sharing your nutty...not sure I would have :D

Cheers.

nice focus on the cat and nicely placed in the frame but the BG needs to be lost if you had opened the aperture a bit more it would have blurred it.
like the explanation as to the theme (y)

Da... da da dadaDA... It's Coronation street! :LOL:

Not sure that its on theme for me but it's a good strong image. I like how you captured the cats expression the colours are good and you nailed the focus and the depth of field perfectly. The subject matter is obvious and the BG gives the image context. He doesn't look very happy does he?

Hmmm, ok. The longer I look at it the more i can't help noticing that although the fence looks straight horizontally, all the verticals are off. Perhaps a small rotation would also help to increase the perspective? maybe have a play and see what you think?

PS someone told me that all ginger cats are toms, don't know how true that is.

We're a 26th of the way there, see you next week! ;)

Yep great focus on the cat, and the DOF is perfect to just be throwing the houses behind out. Which serves to sharpen the cat - so spot on there!

As I undertand it - verticals should always be vertical, especially in the centre of the shot, whereas horizontals can appear to slope depending on your relative height to them, and whether they are going away / coming towards you.

think a letterbox crop might have worked cutting off the rooftops.. poor old boy, he looks fed up and miserable.. feed many visiting strays here.. they come and go, some disappear which makes you hope someone has taken them in.. have 3 myself so am a sucker for a sad face at the door!

good interpretation of the theme..

focas on the cat it amazing and the way the ginger stands out from the BG just would have liked a little less Dof other than that lovley pic

Maybe the theme is a little lost on me, but the composition and tones are great.

As someone else has suggested, lose the sky and it would have even more impact.

Great effort.

Well guys took on board what you have been commenting on! Have a look at these two variations. Thank you for all your comments and ill try to get round your 52's later on this evening soon as i get in later on :)

WinterCat3 by Dacmirc, on Flickr

WinterCat2 by Dacmirc, on Flickr

Ive wrote what has been done to the origional images in the Flickr description if anyone wants to know or cant see it.

Lee

Hi, Lee, quite like the SC on #1 because the colours are quite subtle.

Personally, I'd sacrifice wonky buildings for a straight fence.

Cheers.

Im finding now that with all the comments im starting to look at image and pick out crit points as well so you really do learn on here ey!

I though the fence looked better on the original also. I just tried to straighten the verticals out on the fence panels but im still more of a image 1 fan, i think crop the top off that one is the next step to improve the image.

Dark Knight said:
Hi Lee :)

Season - Slight level and crop the top would make for a great picture, bit of a loose connection but that doesn't matter at all, the idea is to get you out, think of stuff and experiment, so with that you have done great (y)

Cheers for the comment, i agree with the loose connection just a kind of opportunistic moment and it kinda fitted the theme. You are right though it is getting me out and i keep my camera with me much more these days! Thanks for taking the time to comment, im kinda realising how much time it takes getting through all the imahes!

I like the narrow crop.. but prefer the straighter fence of the first image too.. saying that, the selective colour version is nicely done too... that helps huh? ;)

mich66 said:
I like the narrow crop.. but prefer the straighter fence of the first image too.. saying that, the selective colour version is nicely done too... that helps huh? ;)

Ha im the same like different aspects from each picture! Im not going to play with any more, but im glad i did try a few new things! Ill do that from now on before posting my images!

Excellent shot Lee, I like the impact of the cat in the foreground and the colour stands out.

Back