Canon 600D vs Canon 7D

Edit My Images
No
In the new year I intend to upgrade my DSLR. I will be purchasing a camera by Canon but need some other opinions as to the most appropriate model.

I went onto the Canon website and did a comparison between the 600D and the 7D models. After spending some considerable time analysing the specs in detail I came away with the view that the most significant difference between the two models (except for the price) is that the 600D has a plastic body and the 7D has a titanium body.

You really would have to be a nitpicker to find significant differences in the specs that would actually make a real difference in the real world.

I can buy two 600D's for the price of a 7D. Seems like a lot to pay for a titanium body. Or am I missing something of earth-moving significance between these two cameras ?

T.

Or am I missing something of earth-moving significance between these two cameras ?

T.
7D has far superior focusing system, ability to micro adjust, faster burst frame rate, larger body, magnesium alloy body, faster sync speed, faster min shutter time.... Whether or not those are important to you is a different matter.

This may help:

5630405857_65f1ba3b1f_b.jpg

Last edited:
All of what Andy has pointed out, plus the top mounted display screen, the ability to make adjustments with external controls rather than diving into a menu, the removal of various preset auto modes ( portrait, sport etc).

It really is a vastly different camera.

It's worth going in to a camera shop and having a play. Also look at the 60D which lies between the two in terms of functions, handling, size and price. If you need the features of the 7D, whether it is the fast frame rate or spot focussing then it is worth the money, if you don't then the portability of the 600D brings its own benefits.

I doubt very much if the 7d has a titanium body. Much more likely to have a magnesium one.

I doubt very much if the 7d has a titanium body. Much more likely to have a magnesium one.

actually its much more likely to be a magnesium alloy - magnesium itself is soft and highly flamable - not a good choice for building anything out of (except fireworks)

also the 600D and the 60D bodies arent plastic , they are polycarbonate - which if its tough enough to make an automatic handgun out of (glock - the type the armed police carry) is plenty tough enough for the handling a camera's going to get - if a camera gets dropped theres far more likely to be shock damage to the electronics and mechanics than to the body shell

Last edited:
Andy in post 2 has it in a nutshell.
7D is in a different league for the reasons mentioned above.

7d can also act as a master for wireless flashes such as a multiple 430 exii where as a 600d requires a 580 exii to act as the master. 600d is in a different market really burst and autofocus system are in a different league on a 7d.

Last edited:
600d is in a different market really burst and autofocus system are in a different league on a 7d.

This

the 600D is a good camera for someone starting out (or as a second body for the more experienced amateur) - the same being true of the 550D and the other xxxd models second hand

hpowever they are not really in anyway comparable to the 7D which is pretty much a slightly cut down pro camera aimed at serious photographers or pros wanting a second body.

the only thing i'd be inclined to consider if i had the cash for a 7D would be whether a second user 1D mk2 or 3 would suit me better.

In the new year I intend to upgrade my DSLR. I will be purchasing a camera by Canon but need some other opinions as to the most appropriate model.

I went onto the Canon website and did a comparison between the 600D and the 7D models. After spending some considerable time analysing the specs in detail I came away with the view that the most significant difference between the two models (except for the price) is that the 600D has a plastic body and the 7D has a titanium body.

You really would have to be a nitpicker to find significant differences in the specs that would actually make a real difference in the real world.

I can buy two 600D's for the price of a 7D. Seems like a lot to pay for a titanium body. Or am I missing something of earth-moving significance between these two cameras ?

T.
Every camera have different features than the other, the 7d have an alloy body & the 550d-600d also 60D have "polycarbonate bodies" some people like to have a light weight camera than a brick, also any camera can get damage falling from a tripod even an alloy body, no camera is super strong not even alloy;)

So it depends on what camera is for you a 600D or 60D as others have pointed out, good luck:)

Last edited:
pablo_paul said:
7d can also act as a master for wireless flashes such as a multiple 430 exii where as a 600d requires a 580 exii to act as the master. 600d is in a different market really burst and autofocus system are in a different league on a 7d.

The 7d, 60d AND the 600d can act as a master without the need of a dedicated master flash. The 600d does however have less channels.

Build quality and UI are both big features by themselves even before better specs are taken into account. Even the 60D is significantly ahead of the 600D.

also the 600D and the 60D bodies arent plastic , they are polycarbonate
Nonsense. Polycarbonate is a type of plastic, i.e. a polymer. There are a variety of polycarbonates with a wide range of properties. Some are cheap, others are highly engineered compounds. A big problem with all plastics is dimensional stability over temperature variation. Additionally, thermoplastics such as polycarbonates have a low heat threshold. This is partially overcome by using fillers such as glass, and using metal or other materials where accuracy is critical or there are large temperature changes. Your example of using polycarbonates for guns for instance will probably use a different material for the gun barrel, e.g. steel or ceramics. Even the cheapest DSLRs still use a metal lens mount where accuracy and strength is important, but even the best pro cameras use plastic for non-critical components.

Last edited:
Nonsense. Polycarbonate is a type of plastic, i.e. a polymer. There are a variety of polycarbonates with a wide range of properties. Some are cheap, others are highly engineered compounds. A big problem with all plastics is dimensional stability over temperature variation. This is overcome by using metal components where accuracy is critical. Your example of using polycarbonates for guns for instance will probably use a different material for the gun barrel, e.g. steel or ceramics. Even the cheapest DSLRs still use a metal lens mount.

yeah but people who talk about the 600D having a plastic body are usually implying that its fragile - my point is that that isnt the case - yes the polycarbonate used in camera shells is a sort of plastic, but its a robust, tough sort which is easily strong enough for camera bodies

my main point was that no camera is going to survive if you chuck it arround regardless of whether it plastic or mag alloy because the mirror mech and the electronics won't stand that kind of hadling

your point about temperature stability is valid (the glock has a steel reciever and barrel) but irrelevant to the matter at hand as sufficiently high/low temeratures to distort the body of a 60 or 600D would also shag up the circuitry, lcd etc of a metal bodied camera

Last edited:
The stuff you find out on a photo forum amazes me.

I went for the 60d from the 500d and am very impressed with it. I dont think you could go wrong with a 60D.

Comparing a 600D to a 7D is like comparing a 7D to a 1DmkIV....

There are only two features that the 600D has got that the 7D hasn't:
1) Twisty out display
2) Movie crop mode

There are loads of features on the 7D that the 600D doesn't have.

It all depends on what you intend on using it for.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I will need some time to digest all of this information and will reply to all a.s.a.p.

Apologies for the "typo" - the 7D has a magnesium alloy not a titanium body. I had been working with another product which was made of titanium and simply got my wires crossed. Oops :wacky:

Comparing a 600D to a 7D is like comparing a 7D to a 1DmkIV....

There are only two features that the 600D has got that the 7D hasn't:
1) Twisty out display
2) Movie crop mode

There are loads of features on the 7D that the 600D doesn't have.

It all depends on what you intend on using it for.

MMMM!!!....now that's a subject for a whole new thread!!!:LOL::LOL:..having used both extensively personally I prefer the 7D...only advantage of 1D4 OMHO is better noise performance and better build quality...whereas 7D has better af system, point focus with all lenses not just super tele....but we better not start that one!!!

Best advice is forget about the reviews and try out the camera's in the shop. At the end of the day you're buying the camera for you, so you have to feel comfortable using it, are all the controls in the right place and accessible. When I bought my 1st DSLR, I had limited choice, Nikon D70s, Canon 350D and Canon 20D that were roughly in my price range, after trying them out, the 20D won hands down, the 350D was too small and cramped for me, the camera's ergonomics just didn't sit right when I held it, couldn't get on with the Nikon. Today there's a vast selection of camera's to choose from so what you need to ask yourself is what you require from the camera, is it for sports or landscape, what lenses are available for that particular manufacturer, what limitations does that model have over another.

As for the 600D v 7D beginner model v semi pro vast difference, just the same as mentioned above the 7D v 1D big difference again.

I guess the image quality would be almost identical on both with the same lens setup, but it maybe easier for you to get the shot on the 7d with the better af and external buttons to change your settings on the fly!

As for the 600D v 7D beginner model v semi pro vast difference, just the same as mentioned above the 7D v 1D big difference again.[/QUOTE]

NO NO NO NO NO!!!! :nono::nono::wave: there isn't!!!!

OOOOh yes there is

OOOOh nOO there isnt

He's behind youuuuu

EtC

:LOL::LOL:

Ad infinitum....but seriously, I used both on a safari, did a report for Canon, and kept the 7D rather than the 1 D4!!...and haven't regretted it in the main.

George.

600D doesn't have a rear control dial and is just too small to handle with a serious lens. The ergonomics are far superior on the 7D but if you are going to use the kit zoom in auto modes it won't matter.

actually its much more likely to be a magnesium alloy - magnesium itself is soft and highly flamable - not a good choice for building anything out of (except fireworks)

also the 600D and the 60D bodies arent plastic , they are polycarbonate - which if its tough enough to make an automatic handgun out of (glock - the type the armed police carry) is plenty tough enough for the handling a camera's going to get - if a camera gets dropped theres far more likely to be shock damage to the electronics and mechanics than to the body shell

just thought I'd mention that polycarbonate IS A PLASTIC! and very durable one too.

there is nothing wrong with plastic
the range of plastics is immense as are their characteristics
it's like classing metals as all being the same
from titanium to mercury

just thought I'd mention that polycarbonate IS A PLASTIC! and very durable one too.

You obviously haven't read the entire thread?

Eccles, "Nonsense. Polycarbonate is a type of plastic,...."

If you're into video the 600D is the better choice imo with it's flippy outy screen, and if you stick a grip on it handling is much better.

The 7D wins hands down if focusing speed is a consideration.

Last edited:
Back