Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Thanks Alby, with this one I was trying out a newly aquired x1.4 Canon type A teleconverter. It seems to work a treat with the Tokina.

Where did you track one of those down from Huw? Been looking for one for ages!

Cheers,

Simon.

Where did you track one of those down from Huw? Been looking for one for ages!

Cheers,

Simon.

Hi Simon,

I've been keeping a regular eye out on ebay. They are pretty rare in comparison to the plentiful x2 Canon type A and all the other manufacturers.
There was one in Japan last week and one in the States a little while before. This one was on recently then the seller removed it before the auction ended so I assumed he had sold it away from ebay.
However being interested I took a punt and contacted him, I think he must have removed it because an apparent lack of interest. Anyway he put it back on with a 'buy it now' for me.

Great pictures there greytop.

Lindsay always enjoy reading your blogs as they are very informative and always like looking at your photos .

Heres one from the garden spring is on its way!!! Taken with macro setting on the kit lens.

8441097954_b139c8d2d6_c.jpg
[/url] Spring is coming by Thunderbird_010, on Flickr[/IMG]

That Oly kit lens looks a useful lens given the macro function

I coupled my OM-D with the Oly 45mm for the first time yesterday (45 normally stays on the E-P3). The 45mm has to be one of my fav lenses, for the size, weight, and value I've never seen anything better.

8439243872_e899b5ca82_c.jpg

Gorgeous Blue Tit Huw!

I had an excursion today with the Panasonic 14-42 f3.5-5.6 pancake zoom. Quite a useful little lens: http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/blog/panasonic-vario-pz-14-42mm-f3-5-5-6-asph-power-ois/
Good read and some lovely photos Lindsay. ;)
Great pictures there greytop.

Lindsay always enjoy reading your blogs as they are very informative and always like looking at your photos .

Heres one from the garden spring is on its way!!! Taken with macro setting on the kit lens.

8441097954_b139c8d2d6_c.jpg
[/url] Spring is coming by Thunderbird_010, on Flickr[/IMG]
Ahh spring is returning albeit slowly, lovely take TB ;)
That Oly kit lens looks a useful lens given the macro function

I coupled my OM-D with the Oly 45mm for the first time yesterday (45 normally stays on the E-P3). The 45mm has to be one of my fav lenses, for the size, weight, and value I've never seen anything better.

8439243872_e899b5ca82_c.jpg
Great spot and vibrant colour Julian, the blue of the paint and sky match perfectly. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
chrism_scotland said:
Can I just ask does anyone have focus issues using Panasonic lenses on an EM5?
I used to get instances with my old EM5 where the 100-300 and 25mm would just stop focusing at times... just wondered if this still happened?

Sorry Chris not heard of this as an issue before

Missed it by £5!! Was out when auction finished. It went for £220 :crying:

Sorry to hear that, if you're keen it's definitely worth looking out for another or of course there's the new stock at Ffordes which is gradually going.
Another forum member over at Olympus UK E-System User Group just purchased one.

What a bargain that lucky buyer had got!

Absolutely, I'm told when new (in the late eighties) they were around £1300 which is about £2800 in today's money.
Makes £599 for a brand new untouched one seem not so bad after all.

Can anyone tell me how to customise the buttons please. I was hoping to have quick access to ISO and white balance. Many thanks, Sarah

Customising button functions can be accessed via the following sequence:
Menu / Custom Menu (two gears meshed) / B, Button (Gear) / Dial/Button Function

And if you haven't done it it makes sense to enable the 'super control panel' in all modes, that way you can quickly access many functions without taking your eye away from the view finder.
Menu / Custom Menu (two gears meshed) / D, Button (Gear) / Control settings / select Live SCP for all modes (note I also have Live guide and Live control off for all those modes).

Hope that helps :)

From a day out at Wisley Gardens (near Guildford) a couple of weekends ago 'Butterflies in the Glass House' is on until the 24th February.
If you are interested in visiting (and I would recommended it for macro shooters) I would suggest a week day as weekends can be a bit of a scrum in places ;)

All images with the 60mm macro and E-M5, some with fill flash, some without.

Exotic Butterflies :)

Blue Morpho

Achilles Morpho

Common Mormon

Owl

I hope you like them :)

Thanks Lindsay, it's worth getting down there (on a weekday) if you can make it :)

Lovely images Huw. Thank you for sharing!

Thanks very much, it's quite an amazing experiencing seeing all these exotic butterflies flying around in the big glass house.

We had a session on flash photography at our photo group last night. This was taken with continuous lighting. I was just too tempted and ended up largely using the art filters (naughty!) and this one is using dramatic tone. Left the session smiling, not because my pictures are any good but because I so enjoyed using the Olympus!!

Interesting to see what dramatic tone has done Sarah, do you have any other examples that were closer in to the subject?

I just got one of these with a 45/1.8. I thought I would try it as an alternative to my Fuji x-pro1. Hard to compare the two as they are like chalk and cheese, at least the way I use them. Fuji is bare bones, minimalist and slow. You take the picture how and when the camera wants to. The Oly is all-singing, all-dancing, buttons everywhere, can be set up just how you want it and is fast. I much prefer the shots out of the Fuji when looking closely, but can see advantages with the Oly.

Anyway, a couple of my son after some PP in Lightroom:

8441495847_4480a7c407_z.jpg

8441495191_4fa07fa8b4_z.jpg

and one of my daughter:
8438235323_f3bebe870c_z.jpg

ianmarsh said:
I just got one of these with a 45/1.8. I thought I would try it as an alternative to my Fuji x-pro1. Hard to compare the two as they are like chalk and cheese, at least the way I use them. Fuji is bare bones, minimalist and slow. You take the picture how and when the camera wants to. The Oly is all-singing, all-dancing, buttons everywhere, can be set up just how you want it and is fast. I much prefer the shots out of the Fuji when looking closely, but can see advantages with the Oly.

Anyway, a couple of my son after some PP in Lightroom:

and one of my daughter:

Great shots here, the Oly 45mm is one of he best lenses I've ever used on any camera, love it

Cracking shots Ian, that 45 is great lens :)

I made it to Wisley today to see the butterflies. It was fantastic! I've never seen proper butterflies close-up, they were so beautiful. You can see them here: http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/blog/butterflies-at-wisley/

Fantastic series Lindsay, you have certainly captured the essence of Wisley.
Was it very busy?
We visited on a Saturday and had to queue for about 30 minutes at the glass house. After we came out the queue had grown substantially :)

Nice and Shape Ian, you will enjoy that 45mm I'm sure as it is a great lens as said.
Looks like you had a good trip Lindsay, I have yet to visit Wisley but will get there one day.

Here is one from my Garden today. Shot through a double glazing filter. :D

My Garden Robin by Alby Oakshott, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Back