Gig/band shoot

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
First go at this...

Red lights are more tricky than I expected add to that the humid conditions and lack of room-iam quite happy with the results. Advice on how to improve the PP would be great-finding it quite hard. Even more so with a good B&W they all look really flat :(

8442764234_1c60c174a7_c.jpg

8442764240_519f7faa5a_c.jpg

8441673535_4db3e6b0bf_c.jpg

ajax_andy said:
Great shots!!!

I would just remove a little red from the top pic, but other than that I can't offer much advice... top work! :)

Ah thanks Andy! I did try-I ended up decreasing the red and saturation on all of them so far.

Ah thanks Andy! I did try-I ended up decreasing the red and saturation on all of them so far.

Not sure how good you are with photoshop, but if you know how to use layer masks you could just remove some extra red from the whole image uisng a hue /saturation layer, invert the layer mask for it, then paint over the face with a white brush set to 100% opacity.

That way you'd remove it only from the face and it wouldn't affect the rest of the image :)

Not sure how good you are with photoshop, but if you know how to use layer masks you could just remove some extra red from the whole image uisng a hue /saturation layer, invert the layer mask for it, then paint over the face with a white brush set to 100% opacity.

That way you'd remove it only from the face and it wouldn't affect the rest of the image :)

Cheers! I do have access to PS although its on my old PC which I dont use anymore now ive switch to Mac, do you know if the above is possible in LR?

Cheers! I do have access to PS although its on my old PC which I dont use anymore now ive switch to Mac, do you know if the above is possible in LR?

Not sure tbh as only use LR for minor adjustments before doing the bulk of the work in PS.

If there's an option to remove red from just the midtone channel in LR then that should do a similar job :)

Composition wise, with the top two you could crop much tighter.. basic rule for shooting artists (goes for all people too really) is that if you have to 'chop a limb' do it just above the joint.

Also, try to keep the whole headstock in, or none at all..

They look nice & sharp though, lots of detail.. looks like a pretty well lit venue for a small stage. :)

Not sure tbh as only use LR for minor adjustments before doing the bulk of the work in PS.

If there's an option to remove red from just the midtone channel in LR then that should do a similar job :)

Ok thanks, will take a look.

Composition wise, with the top two you could crop much tighter.. basic rule for shooting artists (goes for all people too really) is that if you have to 'chop a limb' do it just above the joint.

Cheers, Zukabak I normally have really tight crops on my portrait photos actually-probably too much sometimes. But thats another matter. I thought to myself that I didnt get any of the whole band-thats why I didnt crop them. I know I still didnt manage the whole band, lens was at its max wide plus I was tight for space.

Also, try to keep the whole headstock in, or none at all..

Sorry what do you mean by headstock?

They look nice & sharp though, lots of detail.. looks like a pretty well lit venue for a small stage. :)

Yeah was pretty good-lights where always changing. Found the red's quite harsh tho :(

The headstock is the part of the guitar at the end of the neck, where the strings can be tuned and where the makers name is located. Eg Fender, Gibson, PRS etc

serenesunrise said:
The headstock is the part of the guitar at the end of the neck, where the strings can be tuned and where the makers name is located. Eg Fender, Gibson, PRS etc

Ah right, got ya! Thanks for explaining

Couple of B&W

8447866581_7e23585676_c.jpg

Last edited:
Great photos, especially for a first attempt! The black and white one is definitely my favourite - the colours of the lights are a bit distracting (not your fault though, of course!) so using black and white is a good way of covering that up.

Cheers Liz, yeah the red lights are really hard to deal with :(

8448922398_4239ebe674_c.jpg

These are pretty good for a first attempt.

I generally prefer B&W for indoor gigs where the light is poor to prevent red faces. If the colour doesn't add anything, leave it out. I've never had much success trying to remove red selectively to give natural-looking skin tones. The data simply isn't there, and faces end up looking rather insipid, and standing out more than they would if things were just left alone.

The first three could do with a gentle crop to get rid of the bits n pieces around the edge of the frame - either go for a wide, full band shot, or concentrate on one element, rather than an awkward halfway house. I'm guessing, but does your lens stop at 28mm-equiv (18mm on crop)? Going to 24mm (16mm on crop) can really add a nice bit of wideness to whole band shots. But that might mean a new lens purchase :D

The shutter speed seems a bit slow, judging from the movement in the guitarist's hand. This might be a problem for capturing those iconic jump-in-the-air shots or anything of the drummer. Try 1/160 as a minimum, faster if they're jumping around like crazy.

Top two, the head is dead centre in the frame - try to frame so the singer is looking into negative space, and looks better head on the higher of the two vertical rule-of-thirds lines.

That copyright notice is badly-placed. It doesn't do you or the band any favours to obscure the singer's face like that. I can't really read the URL anyway. If someone wants to "steal" your photos, at this stage of the game it's a compliment, and they might just commission you for their next shoot on the strength of it. No professional would let their shots out the door with a watermark right across the singer's face.

But overall, good effort.

These are pretty good for a first attempt.

I generally prefer B&W for indoor gigs where the light is poor to prevent red faces. If the colour doesn't add anything, leave it out. I've never had much success trying to remove red selectively to give natural-looking skin tones. The data simply isn't there, and faces end up looking rather insipid, and standing out more than they would if things were just left alone.

Yeah I probably would have gone all B&W if I could! But felt I had to show some colour ones!

The first three could do with a gentle crop to get rid of the bits n pieces around the edge of the frame - either go for a wide, full band shot, or concentrate on one element, rather than an awkward halfway house. I'm guessing, but does your lens stop at 28mm-equiv (18mm on crop)? Going to 24mm (16mm on crop) can really add a nice bit of wideness to whole band shots. But that might mean a new lens purchase :D

Noted, thanks. Main lens was Tamron 17-55mm 2.8

The shutter speed seems a bit slow, judging from the movement in the guitarist's hand. This might be a problem for capturing those iconic jump-in-the-air shots or anything of the drummer. Try 1/160 as a minimum, faster if they're jumping around like crazy.

1/80ƒ/2.8ISO 160017 mm

Top two, the head is dead centre in the frame - try to frame so the singer is looking into negative space, and looks better head on the higher of the two vertical rule-of-thirds lines.

Cheers, good point!

That copyright notice is badly-placed. It doesn't do you or the band any favours to obscure the singer's face like that. I can't really read the URL anyway. If someone wants to "steal" your photos, at this stage of the game it's a compliment, and they might just commission you for their next shoot on the strength of it. No professional would let their shots out the door with a watermark right across the singer's face.

But overall, good effort.

Yeah iam always finding it difficult with watermarks-still can't find something iam happy with. Just didnt want loads of facebook crops going on really!

Couple more if your interested :)

8448192845_c06ba3d4b5_c.jpg

8448192601_e004703744_c.jpg

8449269160_b9f17104d9_c.jpg

8448185319_f1ceb1a0ba_c.jpg

8449272428_25135443cf_c.jpg

Full album here,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zoosh/8449272428/in/set-72157632695324051/

Back