Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Or “A walk in the Park”
Or “My first Film in 10-Years”
Or “Grandad’s Camera – Takes Pictures”

Take your pick…. But this is it.
dsc_1313_zpsce9abb59.jpg

#01 NIKON_DLate 1950’s (Probably ‘58/59) Kodak Retinette 1A – with the Schneider-Kreuznach Reomar f3.5 50mm lens and Pronto shutter.

And as mentioned was my Grandads. A gift, he was incredibly fond of while he was stationed in Uganda. He left in 1961, and was either given it before his last tour, so about 1958, or just before he left. And to HIM, it was a prized possession, and a ‘quality’ camera. For quarter of a century, he derided whatever Japanese fantastic his kids or kids mates or kids spouses or spouses mates or who-ever waved around with through the lens light metering, automatic exposure, or pentaprisms and such. This was a piece of precision German Engineering. 35mm! None of that ‘antique’ roll-film rubbish, or cheap and nasty cassette things! And pre-60’s consumer boom, this was a pretty respectable amateur camera.

But it’s a View-Finder camera. It has no means of ‘positive’ focus, like a ‘Range-Finder’, SLR or TLR, where there is some mechanism where-by you can see your subject in the view-finder and confirm that the lens that takes the picture is actually focused on it! But neither is it a zone-focus camera; exploiting smaller apertures and greater depth of field, to allow focus by icon on faces, people, or mountains!

Oh no… this is precision German engineering. It has ‘fast’ apertures and a distance scale on the fiddly focus ring, and hyper-focas marks for the aperture around it…. and you’re left to figure it out!

I seem to recall, when my Grandad used this camera he had a diddy little accessory shoe mounted range-finder to slot on the top, that always frustrated him taking indoor family group shots… we don’t have many family group photos… by the time he’d given up trying to range find, guestimate, and gone and hunted out a tape measure, his subjects had all drifted off to make a cup of tea, watch telly or down the pub or something! But For some reason, when the camera turned up, that didn’t…. so I have to guesstimate! This could be ‘fun’! OK, well lets do something with it.

First thing is to see if it functions. My Grandad died in 1997, so it hasn’t been touched for 15 years, and since he had glycoma, I doubt it had been used for ten years before that! Fifty year old camera, not used for quarter of a century! But, appature ring seemed to click through all the stops smoothly, and the shutter? Well it clicked. Very softly, but it clicked…. I think, at all four shutter speeds. Meter? Selenium cell. Needle moved when waved around in the light, which looked promicing. Scale was still legible, and the calculator wheel present. Few test readings in and around the house, compared to what I got through the Nikon, showed it was still pretty accurate, so we’ll go with that then.

Next thing, Film. Not bought any for a decade, but half the reason for this little project, is because my daughter, discovered and claimed an old Zenith SLR on top of my wardrobe, and announcing that she has opted to take GCSE Photography at school, and grumbled that they don’t let them use ‘proper’ (ie film) cameras, insisted that I could teach her. So I have bought a pack of 20 rolls of out of date Kodak Gold 100, off e-bay, from Greece, left over from the 2002 Olympics! So, before she got all disillusioned, wanted to try a roll, and see how it came out.

OK, so we have a camera, we have some film, now we need something to point it at. And it’s been pretty grim lately. Its THAT time of year, the dead-time between Christmas and Easter, when the weathers lousy and there’s nothing open or going on. Other-Half has been immersed in work, and moaning about being too tired on days off…. And then her son & grand-daughter turned up, on Saturday… and THE SUN SHINED! So I suggested taking the toddler to the park! That’s got to be good for photos! Also gives us something of a theme, in Grandad’s camera taking pics of Granddaughter.

So… we have a camera that was, even when brand new… a little hit and miss and ripe with opportunities for failure, from glance & guess light-metering, to point & guess focusing, that’s fifty years old, and not been used for half that, that may or may not work at all… some pretty dubious old film, some glorious if rather stark and contrast early spring light, and… a turbo-charged tot to try and not get too blurred…. Hmmm… challenging! Lets see how I got on shall we?

886289_567371666621088_1079211370_o.jpg

#02 NIKON_L There you go, me, crouched down taking pic of Grand-daughter. Photo by my O/H with her Nikon L310 bridge, on ‘smart’, and cropped in PP.

The Picture I took with the Retinette…..
486077_567371743287747_1368589279_n.jpg

#03 KODAK Taken at f8 and 1/60th I think. This one is the best of the bunch, and… all told, I am rather pleased with it! Straight scan of neg, with my sheep and chitty neg-scanner. No cropping, no PP. Its better in the print; and after scanning the entire roll, I realised that ASDA’s don’t keep the negs too clean! I have a lot of dust motts in many of the frames, but I was too exited to re-scan.

Ten years….. Light was fading and the little girl was getting tired by half five, so we came home via ASDA to pick up some bits for tea. And I missed the 1hr processing by ten minutes. Got to the counter at ten past 6… counter closed at 7, so had to put them on two-day. Which meant, like in days of yore, WAITING to see the results. I had forgotten the excitement & trepidation!

So, what did we get? Well the first eight frames or so were completely blank. I suspect that that soft clicking shutter, then WAS sticking, but obviously freed off. Exposure wise; I looked at the sky. f-16 sunny? Well, it was pretty bright, and clear blue sky, but late winter, sun’s still a fair way off, and it was low, evening sun. One stop off? Waved the meter around a bit, as we walked to the play-ground, gave me various readings, stop either side of f8@60th for 100ASA, so settled on that as my base-setting, and adjusted a stop or so either way, erring on the side of f8 & f16 to max my Depth of Field, just a LITTLE concerned about this point & guess focusing! I wasn’t far off. About half a dozen, ¼ of shots were a little fuzzy round the edges? Couple of them though could have been too slow a shutter.

Three more pics for this post then….

886307_567372053287716_1983983830_o.jpg

#04 NIKON_L OH’s shot with Nikon Bridge, over my shoulder while I took…
885705_567372049954383_1824652637_o.jpg

#05 KODAK As camera… annoyed by the dust mots. Colour’s a little blue too, and and and… well, what might be done in Post-Process?
306130_567372029954385_926069839_n.jpg

#06 KODAK Little bit of colour tweek, dab & crop… Hmmm… if anything I think it shows the limitations of my neg-scaner more than anything!

Last edited:
Next?

63978_567372389954349_557250313_n.jpg

#07 NIKON_L OH’s shot with Nikon Bridge, set to ‘smart’.
599877_567372433287678_935627253_n.jpg

#08 KODAK Retinette ex-camera.
530889_567372399954348_930359207_n.jpg

#09 KODAK With a tweek, and a dab and a snip.

Tricky action shot?
576048_567371939954394_1529601444_n.jpg

#10 NIKON_L OH’s shot with Nikon Bridge, set to ‘smart’. I was quite impressed by this, from the O/H & digi-pact, TBH, especially on ‘Smart’ setting.
857488_567372009954387_1673838861_o.jpg

#11 KODAK ex-camera.
295663_567372003287721_1365101578_n.jpg

#12 KODAK Retinette ex-camera.
Tricky predicting the moment, and hoping she’ll be looking the right way, and or smiling / giggling. Bit of a lucky-dip situation, where firing more frames increases the odds.

Curiously, despite the Retinette being fully manual, and the advance lever being on the bottom of the camera, and rather ‘unusual’ to use, I still managed to get three shots off of the spinning saucer, to O/H with the very fast fire bridge, who only got six in the same time. Suggests that in practiced hands this might not be such a laborious camera to handle as my memory of my Grandad not taking many pictures with it suggests!

Well, that’s the six for this post….

Last edited:
Next?

Guess we need to see some warts’n’all…

830507_568086619882926_608419202_o.jpg

#13 NIKON L OH’s shot with Nikon Bridge, set to ‘smart’, looking down the river
830359_567371723287749_589931996_o.jpg

#14 KODAK My shot with Retinette. A little bit ‘milky’.

382329_567372523287669_2004142050_n.jpg

#15 KODAK On the swings with the Retinette – ex-camera. Example of the dilema’s faced using manual camera & fixed lens. Getting in fairly close to get a fair frame full of subject, makes focusing more critical; I must have gone for f16 to err on the side of caution for DoF on this one, compromising either exposure or shutter speed. Light was ¾ behind, so I think I erred towards a slower shutter, I think I shot at 1/60th, and it’s a tad blurry. Might have got away with 125th and not been too under exposed, but it’s a little dimmer than others already.

525409_567371783287743_1453370428_n.jpg

#16 NIKON L From the Nikon
856212_567371809954407_885887753_o.jpg

#17 KODAK From the Retinette.
Not a very ‘fair’ comparison, Nikon had sun behind, Retinette was shooting obliquely, sun 3/4 to front. Straight scan with dust; there’s a bit of flare is a bit thin and lacks contrast.

Last edited:
Conclusion?

Well, fifty year old camera, ten year old film? It was all a bit of a lucky-dip whether I’d get anything at all! Of what I did get, I’m more than a bit pleased.

859690_567371596621095_406890897_o.jpg

#18 KODAK That was the first print out the packet. Straight scan, with mots.
When I saw it… I knew I was going to have some decent pictures.
429674_567371569954431_1110794_n.jpg

#19 KODAK Tweeked, dabbed & cropped…. That’s more than respectable enough for the family album.
482195_567371606621094_1137554442_n.jpg

#20 NIKON L That’s out of the Nikon, with a little crop.
540933_567371696621085_247524233_n.jpg

#21 KODAK From the Retinette, straight scan…
529879_567371689954419_1961241211_n.jpg

#22 KODAK And with a tweek, a dab & a snip.

And this is what that camera was built for, half a century ago. Same thing, as O/H’s Nikon Bridge. It wasn’t an incredibly expensive camera for the enthusiast or pro; it was a hobby or family camera, one for Dad, to get ‘better’ pictures than a cheap cartridge instamatic or old roll-film camera. Pretty much what the L310 is intended for.

Fifty years on. The L310, is undoubtedly an awful lot freindlier to use! And it requires almost zero expertise to use it. Has the benefit of a motor-driven zoom, and built in flash, auto-focus and automatic exposure. It really is a point and press marvel. But it doesn’t take ‘better’ pictures. That still comes from looking through the view-finder and capturing the interest in your subject.

The Retinette? The technical merit of the pictures? A lot more is down to my choices, and getting them wrong, as like as not! It’s a more demanding camera to use, but its not as complex, or difficult, or hard to handle as I expected; and with a little practice, and a little know-how, didn’t take much to get pictures every bit as ‘good’ technically, as came out the Nikon.

That’s impressive. That’s Grandad’s ‘precision’ German engineering. And… fitting; the ‘family camera’ my granddad was so proud of, fifty years on, still taking ‘family’ photo’s of granddaughter, that I can be proud of!

I wonder if any of my grand-kids will be fiddling with any of my cameras in fifty years time, and be so impressed?

Last edited:
Hey Mike what a lovely set and story! I think your little Retinette did pretty well under the circumstances; not surprising that it can't cope in some ways as well as the Nikon bridge, and of course zone focusing is a pain when you can't chimp! But the second picture has real appeal to me, and several of the others too. Good to see an old camera resurrected!

Not sure it's ever going to be easy to make excellent shots with, but some similar vintage cameras certainly can!

Well done! -I'd suggest that if anything's at fault it's probably the dreadful Kodak film (even in it's heyday it was bally awful) - try some Fuji if you can find it!

Its all a learning curve keep at it. Some decenty stuff there.

Thanks all.
Hey Mike what a lovely set and story! I think your little Retinette did pretty well under the circumstances; not surprising that it can't cope in some ways as well as the Nikon bridge, and of course zone focusing is a pain when you can't chimp! But the second picture has real appeal to me, and several of the others too. Good to see an old camera resurrected!

Not sure it's ever going to be easy to make excellent shots with, but some similar vintage cameras certainly can!
Comment made me think to go back and add ref numbers! One you like is #03 KODAK; my pick of the pack?

Keep looking, and wondering if a polarizer... saturate that sky, lift the red ropes..... no! It's charming JUST the way it is! But I think that the credit really has to go to Sarah-Dipity, doing such a wonderful lighting job for me!

#14 KODAK is vexing me a tad though, compared to #13 NIKON L. First, hers from the Nikon is cropped, which proves my 'zoom' works better than hers! and I have a blue-badge, becouse it dont work properly! MOVE WOMAN! Frame with your FEET!... we'll be working on that, in months to come! Along with other things*
But, that 'milkiness'?
Exif from the Nikon's shot says ISO80, & f3.1 & 1/125th. I think I stopped down to f16 for DoF, and probably fired at 1/30th conciouse of the 3/4 into the sun lighting and not wanting to silhuette the trees. But, its noticeably darker in the centre of the frame. Looking at some of the others, I wondered if it was an abhoration, but its not accross the set..... is it a fluke? Could it merely be that the overlap of trees in that region makes it look denser? But then I was wondering if it was a flare effect? Hunting through some boxes yesterday, I discovered the 'low-light' sensor for the light meter and a lens hood. Or, was I just TOO over cautiouse, on hyperfocus lattitude and ought to have opened it up and fired it faster?

Well done! -I'd suggest that if anything's at fault it's probably the dreadful Kodak film (even in it's heyday it was bally awful) - try some Fuji if you can find it!
LOL! I have another 19 rolls of this stuff to use! Being fair; it was 'cheap' as in a quid a roll cheap; so I'm not grumbling. When I used film regularly, default 'stock' was cheapo Croatian rebrand Konica (Jessops own brand!), usually in slide emulsion. By comparison, this stuff is not too bad! And comparing screen to prints; weak-link in the chain is almost certainly my sheep&chitty neg-scanner!
Its all a learning curve keep at it. Some decenty stuff there.
Yeah... I dont know though, I felt guilty using this camera!
Cris's comment " think your little Retinette did pretty well".... Noooooo! Its not MY little retinette! Its GRANDAD'S!... oh! Hang on, not, its not really, is it? Not any more!
So WHY do I merely feel like I am only borrowing it? lol!
This is what got this particular ball rolling.....
dsc_1315_zpsf7da873c.jpg

That's the Zenith EM, that fell off the top of the wardrobe onto my Daughter's hands, that got me to buy some film in the first place, so I could, as requested teach her to use a 'propper' camera... so I dont know where this project will go now.
I had just wanted to run a film through Pops Kodak; prove it worked, and that I could work it, check the film I'd got was OK, and then put it back in the cabinette!
Was going to take daughter out with the Zenith, and a Leningrad 4 meter I got off e-bay for it for £2.80! And back her with my D3200, perhaps using the M42 adaptor and the 29mm prime to mimick the 44mm on the Zenith, and give her comparison shots.... But I'm not sure now... maybe I'll take the Retinette, and see what I get in other more or less challenging situations with it... have to see... There's err... at least nine other 35mm cameras in the house, begging for a film... plus a couple of 120's and a sub-min minox! Favourite has allready claimed oud Kodak roll 3; that's my M42 Sigma Mk1 SLR.... I have re-mounted a Sigma/Panomar 12mm fish-eye to M42, for it... this could be another little adventure!
*O/H got the L310, becouse she knows nothing about photography, and the L310 will do little to teach her! But that's no real shame. She's along way to go before f-stops and shutter speeds need be a concern! Holding the camera straight, not twisting it when she presses the shutter button; moving to frame a shot; that's her current level... and before we even get there, we've got to remind and encourage her to get the damn thing out the bag and point it at stuff! Then we might move on to things like which of the AE programs may be best!

I have my Grandads Kodak coloursnap that is currently not planned to be used.
My Mother's via her Uncle Ensign selfix 820 which has one film through and has a second film loaded.
Then I went and bought an Olympus 35-sp and I am running a film through a cardboard pinhole camera my daughter bought me

Wait a minute I got into togging again as it had gone digital and it would cost me a fortune in film and processing :bang:

Back