BSB Testing 2013

Name
Glen
Edit My Images
No
Well its that time of year again to blow the cobwebs off not only the camera but myself and venture out of hibernation for another season of BSB.

Well here is part one of a three part start to the season so will update this thread with test pics as we go along from each venue, starting with the initial set from a rather cold Donnington.

Good to see some other forum members media side of the fence for a change so had a good little chat with Paul :wave: of Paul and Sharon fame while getting set for the first lot of BSB madness.

Will make no excuse for my laziness as wanted just to get a few shots of the BSB boys before running off back to the media centre for some warmth for the day and then an afternoon of catching up with old and new friends who I will be supplying work to this season.

Ok here we go with a few from Donny :)

1/
C87Q3877-XL.jpg

2/
C87Q4206-XL.jpg

3/
C87Q4552-XL.jpg

4/
C87Q4456-XL.jpg

5/
C87Q3784-XL.jpg

6/
C87Q4489-XL.jpg

OK well there you have the first lot and will update with the second batch from Brands on Tuesday (y).

Right off out to buy a secondhand 7D now as the weather don't look great next week and love the 1DX to much to get it wet :wacky:.

Great set of photos, all nice and sharp.

Don't get the no rain comment though, that's why they built them:thinking:

What a fantastic start. All so sharp could not pic a favourite as there all brilliant. Very envious.

Very nice indeed mate :clap:

Blowing off the cobwebs eh.... "well blown" is all I can say :nuts:

Nice shot of Shakey - better than the one knocking around from the other day of Kiyo ;-)

Did you venture beyond Goddards all day? I know I didn't much last time I was there :nuts:

See you next Tuesday (oooer!)

Hi Glen, great set of images love up close and personal therefore my favourite has to be Ben Wilson, been going through mine earlier lots of deleting going on:D:D. Having said that got one or two of a "couple" of media guys at Goddards. :LOL: Ventured upto the Media Suite in the afternoon toasty warm up there suprised you guys were all out on track. See you at Brands first round. Thank you for looking out for Paul. Regards Sharon :wave:

Great set of photos, all nice and sharp.

Don't get the no rain comment though, that's why they built them

Cheers Mike,the 1DX is waterproof as long as its attached to a lens with a rear seal which the 400 f5.6 does not have so don't want to chance it as im a tart and also need a spare again now its race season.

What a fantastic start. All so sharp could not pic a favourite as there all brilliant. Very envious.

Cheers bud

All great photos. 3 and 6 are my favs

Cheers mate

Very nice indeed mate

Cheers pal and didn't realise you or Steve were up there bud or else would of came round and said hello.

Blowing off the cobwebs eh.... "well blown" is all I can say

Nice shot of Shakey - better than the one knocking around from the other day of Kiyo ;-)

Did you venture beyond Goddards all day? I know I didn't much last time I was there

See you next Tuesday (oooer!)

Cheers bud and the only time I left Goddards was to get another coffee or get warm in the media centre LOL.

That one of Kiyo was not the best to be honest as my little laptop is Pooo for editing on.

You will have to PM me where else its gone as know it was on the official BSB and Kiyos site but only aware of those to be honest and found a better one when I could see on a decent monitor LOL.

i-WZLGGSB-XL.jpg

And see you next Tuesday aswell LOL

Lovely stuff bud:clap::clap: The lighting on the Shakey shot is surperb, hopefully see you Tuesday

Cheers Graham and did try to wind you up on Face Book through the day but had no signal, did miss seeing you bud but will catch up at Brands im sure.

Hi Glen, great set of images love up close and personal therefore my favourite has to be Ben Wilson, been going through mine earlier lots of deleting going on. Having said that got one or two of a "couple" of media guys at Goddards. Ventured upto the Media Suite in the afternoon toasty warm up there suprised you guys were all out on track. See you at Brands first round. Thank you for looking out for Paul. Regards Sharon

Thanks Sharon and did ask Paul where you were on Thursday while we was chatting but didn't realise you were grabbing pics of us,just hope the light didn't reflect to much off my bald spot and give you flare problems :eek:

The media centre is lovely and warm and it was a struggle to leave there in the afternoon to be honest but at least it wasn't far from Goddards to run back again a bit quick LOL.

Well - you wont get any critique from me on these, all superb with #1 getting top spot

.DAVID.

Always look forward to seeing your shots Glen and these don't disappoint. Thinking about a 400 5.6 and impressed to see what it can do in the right hands.

Ok update time with a few from Brands and Snetterton.

Brands first!

7/
C87Q5141-XL.jpg

8/
C87Q5668-XL.jpg

9/
C87Q5964-XL.jpg

10/
C87Q5975-XL.jpg

And a few from Snetterton.

11/
C87Q6392-XL.jpg

12/
C87Q6593-XL.jpg

13/
C87Q6655-XL.jpg

14/
C87Q7022-XL.jpg

Well thanks again for looking and now a chance to relax for a couple of weeks before the season kicks off.

Proper job Glen!

I see you finally managed to get Josh on a bike... did you make him a hot water bottle to take out with the poor little lamb :)

Your people shots here are rather good too - something I like a lot. Good to see you nail this - you are already pretty much top of the rankings for your bike stuff IMHO.

Looking forward to hanging out with you this season again!

Proper job Glen!

I see you finally managed to get Josh on a bike... did you make him a hot water bottle to take out with the poor little lamb :)

Your people shots here are rather good too - something I like a lot. Good to see you nail this - you are already pretty much top of the rankings for your bike stuff IMHO.

Looking forward to hanging out with you this season again!

Cheers bud and just a shame I only get access to pit lane during testing, keep an eye out for my Kiyo shots on the BSB FB page and other places soon as caught him having a moment on an out lap and cold tyre.

Still not sure if I have my accreditation this year yet bud :-(

A quick Q, Glen........ what AF Case number do you find works best for the bike shots?

High bud and case 4 but just getting my head around back button focus again as had given up trying to get used to it last season as kept forgetting and missing important shots LOL.

Brilliant shots Glenn - every single one - as ever.:p:LOL:

Cheers

Well - you wont get any critique from me on these, all superb with #1 getting top spot

.DAVID.

Cheers bud and hope your well.

Stunning work as is the norm Glen (y)

Cheers Gaza and must make sure we say hello this year.

Yep some superb shots there. Do you sell any to bike mags???

Still have never sold a shot in my life although all my work is used on the official BSB site,i am not allowed to sell to public only teams and media but no one wants them.

Always look forward to seeing your shots Glen and these don't disappoint. Thinking about a 400 5.6 and impressed to see what it can do in the right hands.

Cheers mate and for the money its a bloody lovely little lens the only thing I find is the bokeh is a bit yuck compared to my old 400 f2.8 but the weight and cost soon make you forget about that.

Best lens I have ever had and am looking to get the new version when the price drops a bit is the 300 f2.8 IS L, in my mind its the best lens Canon ever made.

Just seen your Kiyo fluff shot on Twitter from BSB :)

LOL!

High bud and case 4 but just getting my head around back button focus again as had given up trying to get used to it last season as kept forgetting and missing important shots LOL.Cheers

Thanks Glen. Interesting that case 4 has a lot of love with 1Dx users for a number of quite different sports, including myself for football.

Stick with the BBF, it will come as second nature quite quickly (y)

Thanks Glen. Interesting that case 4 has a lot of love with 1Dx users for a number of quite different sports, including myself for football.

Stick with the BBF, it will come as second nature quite quickly (y)

Case 4 just seems to nail most stuff to be honest and even if I try to tweek it I end up back at the standard setting as its just spot on for what I shoot. After 4 days of shooting using BBF I am starting to get the hang of remembering to push the button LOL and its so much better for composition of pitlane shots.

More class work Glen like them all and still in Awe of the gloss and new look you boys get into the bikes amazing

Cheers bud and believe me its more the PP involved than anything else on my photos. P.M me your e-mail address and will send you a before and after of that last Josh Brookes shot as you wouldn't think the original was the same picture.

Bloody hell mate these are "Bang Tidy"...Thats it I'm off to buy a 1dx:D

LOL and still cant get over how much detail the files have for the way I like abusing them in Lightroom 4 (y)

Here you go Gaz the original image straight from camera

i-P46bwkg-XL.jpg

And here is a screen capture of the main tweeks in lightroom 4,notice how much more visible the red line round the rim is on the front wheel from bringing out the shadow detail but not to the point it starts to halo or tint the tarmac. Also found if you turn the highlights back a bit less than you boost the shadows it helps a lot in keeping the detail rather than blowing it all out and loosing it all. You cant see the sharpening sliders but I have them set at Amount 45 Radius 1.0 Detail 25 and Masking 0 which I find is ample and also Smugmug adds its own little tweek to all gallery pics anyway.

i-3N9KDCJ-X2.jpg

Last edited:
Useful info, cheers Glen. Images certainly stand out. I don't have Lightroom but similar options in Aperture. Never sure what tweaks to make, will have revisit some of them and give it a go. Do you start off with Raws or Jpegs ?

Top notch bud, you know it was your stuff that inspired a few years back and is still does:clap:

Cheers buddy but as you well know I got lucky mate as a pure fluke rather than for my photography skills, its just helped me a load not having that dam fence in the way so all I need to do is concentrate on getting the shot.

Useful info, cheers Glen. Images certainly stand out. I don't have Lightroom but similar options in Aperture. Never sure what tweaks to make, will have revisit some of them and give it a go. Do you start off with Raws or Jpegs ?

I used to shoot in RAW but if something was going wrong in the early days of someone falling off I filled the buffer up before they hit the deck so started to shoot in jpeg and have never looked back. Also as I am still expected to edit on a laptop in the media centre to get images out as soon as each race finishes for social media use its a dam site quicker with jpeg (y).

Great shots as always fella! Thanks for showing the PP too. How do you set your wb?

Great shots as always fella! Thanks for showing the PP too. How do you set your wb?

Cheers bud and in all honesty I don't that much since changing cameras I have found the new one to be spot on most the time and also depends on what software you are using.
The best I found was setting the black and white points in photoshop from the level adjustment pallet with the dropper tools to be honest as I find Lightroom a bit hit and miss.

Lovely shots they look super, I don't mean to hi jack the thread but I fancy having a go at some Motorsport photography, mostly bikes too,

I read that you mentioned you use a 1dx, well just got the 5d3 two days ago, and wondered what af settings to go for as there similar?

Cheers
Graeme

Thanks for the info Glen need to start looking into more advanced PP work my shots are more or less from camera i still shoot jpeg then i normally crop and re sharpen them in Windows Live Photo Gallery sometimes add a little Contrast or Saturation but lately have been able to leave these areas alone just cropping and two clicks to sharpen.

Notice you shoot in jpeg but have shot in raw how much better are the images straight from camera in raw is raw just about PP or are there other advantages to shoot in this format as i am still trying to capture that quality image straight from the camera.

Lovely shots they look super, I don't mean to hi jack the thread but I fancy having a go at some Motorsport photography, mostly bikes too,

I read that you mentioned you use a 1dx, well just got the 5d3 two days ago, and wondered what af settings to go for as there similar?

Cheers
Graeme

Go back a page Graeme and I was chatting to Nigpd about how good case 4 is for sports on the 1DX and think you will find its the same on the 5DMKIII for a good starting point, don't forget that im lucky to be trackside so don't have the fences to put up with.

Thanks for the info Glen need to start looking into more advanced PP work my shots are more or less from camera i still shoot jpeg then i normally crop and re sharpen them in Windows Live Photo Gallery sometimes add a little Contrast or Saturation but lately have been able to leave these areas alone just cropping and two clicks to sharpen.

Notice you shoot in jpeg but have shot in raw how much better are the images straight from camera in raw is raw just about PP or are there other advantages to shoot in this format as i am still trying to capture that quality image straight from the camera.

RAWs are just the digital equivalent to a negative to me as they capture exactly what the sensor sees and are a lot more robust for pulling back incorrect exposures and a vast amount of other things but for me and my workflow now I can get the same from jpeg.

Honestly bud if you can afford the £100 to purchase Lightroom 4 its so worth the money and also there is a free download of the trial version for 30 days which you might want to try.

Back