Red snapper

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
So after a false start last time I'm in the market for a tripod. I know many on here speak very highly of red snapper.
Looking at buying the RSF-284 with RSH-61 combo. Any reviews on these two pieces of kit specifically?

Hi, new forumy personage here (don't let that put you off).

Danny, I just purchased the RSF-284 (it's different to the RS-284) with the RSH-12.

I cannot comment on the RSH-61, because I went for the RSH-12. But the RSF-284 is superbly well made, compact and easy to carry, but opens out to almost 6ft (I actually thought i'd received the wrong product). It has all the features of much more expensive top brand tripods, I have a friend who's about to dump his 6yr old top branded tripod for one of these.

I have to be honest, I thought it would just be a rebranded cheap Ebay "made in china" piece of kit, but it's not and I owe Redsnapper an apology for even thinking it.

There aren't many reviews for the RSF-284 out there, but I think there soon will be.

Any negative comments will come from the supplied QR plate, which is ummm.... "Basic", it does the job perfectly well, but I have to remove it to use my sling strap.

Last edited:
I'm using a Redsnapper rs283 and find it great solid and well built.

Re the RSH-61. I bought one as a stopgap until I could afford a Markins, RRS etc, to use on a 2nd hand Gitzo GT1542 set of legs I bought. However it is as light as anything else out there (my reason for getting the Gitzo was portability) and can support a gripped 7D or 1D MkIII with a 70-200L 2.8 IS attached, so I never changed it. It's a great lightweight combo that I happily carry on the offchance of needing it. I also have Redsnapper RS283 legs with an RH-12 that I use if working out of a car, or at home for macro etc. The Gitzo/RSH-61 combo is half the weight of the other at @ 1.3kg, and packs a lot smaller, fitting easily under the flap of my Thinktank Retro 10 bag. The Redsnapper gear is all excellent quality, and a small problem I had with the legs was dealt with very quickly indeed.

tripods.jpg

7DBALL.jpg

I had to check on their website..... lol

I have the RSF-284 & RSH-12 combination - No issues whatsoever with it for the price.

Well I think I shall be getting one ordered as soon as i get back from this trip. Do I remember right that members on here get a discount? Or did i just imagine that?

TP members do indeed get a discount

Just pop in the code RED10 when prompted for a discount voucher

Well its ordered now so should be here in time for the weekend to give it a try out. Along with some new ND grads.

Back