weekly overbez's 52 for 2013.... ** COMPLETE **

Week 17 - Rustic

The rustic simplicity of a country fence.

Last edited:
Hi Graham I see were you are coming from the BG is nicely blurred my only niggle is the fence post is not as old as the rails it would have been slightly better if it was a gnarly as the rails :thinking:

Hi, I had. Similar idea, but yet to find a decent fence.

IMO, good light would take this up several levels. Not too keen on the trees in the BG.

Nice composition and the simplicity works for me.

Cheers.

Angle: i like the lego, cant work out how you did it though, just been looking at it for a while too!

Rustic: Really nice shot, beautiful dof.

The 2nd attempt at the Lego triangle works great, the only thing that annoys me is that I can't figure it out!

Rustic - The bokeh makes it for me, the contrast between the sharpness of the fence and the blur behind is really nice.

Hi Graham
Rustic - good idea, on theme, Like the composition and the light and shade across the fence. Rather like the contrast between old and new and the lichen - illustrates how timber often ages to grey rather than brown.

Good separation of the background but not sure sbout the inclusion of the RH tree but would not crop it out as the balance of the rail is just right IMO

As already said, the post is a little too new in contrast to the very old rails, a closer shot without the post could be a better option.

The 2nd attempt at the Lego triangle works great, the only thing that annoys me is that I can't figure it out!

Angle: i like the lego, cant work out how you did it though, just been looking at it for a while too!

Thanks, I am rather pleased with it, I could tell you how it was done but that would ruin it for you. :LOL:

For rustic, I rather like the trees, feeling they add depth to the shot, which considering the side on view of the fence, I felt it needed, I did try a few looking along the fence and the perspective shot, but preferred this one with the shimmery bokeh from the morning light on the grass behind.

Week 18 - Kind....

a really :puke: theme from the moment I saw it... from a trip to a farm on the hot Bank Holiday Monday, the kindness of children to baby animals......

Think it turned out OK - given it was in midday sun, in a crowded farmyard with distractions to all sides, hence the tight framing (not a crop) leaving me no room to straighten it :bonk: But I like it, although I'm not sure where my youngest got his invisible chick from????

CLICK PIC FOR BIGGER, and again to zoom closer

Last edited:
Awwweeee bless look at him/her :D

Nice shallow DoF, nice feather detail, think it needs a tad of a straighten, but love the look on their faces :)

Angles - Damn... that's well done, very effective (y)

Rustic - Simple but very suitable and a pleasing shot, again love the shallow DoF :)

Last edited:
Hi Graham
Kind - fits the bill :D well. Good strong focus on the chick and the RH son. Good capture of expressions and the dof works well.

I am in Spain at the moment and i sympathise with your difficulty over the strong light. Good for vitamin D production but reduces the photo opps. But you have handled it well.

I agree with DK about the straightness and the area at the LH side is a bit distracting, but you are right that the tight framing leaves you no option, as otherwise you would lose the boy's hat and eyes.

Hi Graham, I LOVE how the boy in the background is waiting patiently for his turn. They both have kind faces so you're on theme as far as I'm concerned.

I can see why you went for a shallow depth of field but I can't help thinking that the little chap in the background deserves to be in focus too?

Hi Graham,
Good work on kind, it has a strong composition with the triangle of the three subjects. You've held all the detail in the subjects in what looks like strong lighting, well done there.
I agree about the lad at the rear, maybe a little more dof to bring him into focus.

The expressions really make that for me, just to echo what others have said, I think both lads in focus would be nice. Having said that, the DOF really exaggerates the sharpness of the hands and the duckling.

........il, think it needs a tad of a straighten,.

You're too kind, needs more than a tad!! :LOL:

Having said that, the DOF really exaggerates the sharpness of the hands and the duckling.

I was actually quite impressed myself with the sharpness of the focal area. I've linked a larger version in the post above now too. (y)

Cheers everyone,
(y)

Last edited:
OK - onto week 19.

VERTICAL....

Built with my own two hands... so of course it's vertical. :LOL:

Last edited:
You cant argue that its not vertical lot of verticals in the BG too, nice DoF very harsh lighting nicely dealt with :clap:

Hi ya

Kind....hmmm...yup , love the sharpness of the fluffy one & the looks on the boys faces , given your restrictions I think it's turned out well (y)

Vertical....can't ague with it being vertical , good DOf & like the minimal tonal range (y)

Kind, a big aaaawwwww thats so fluffy and cute!!!!!!

Vertical, well that's pretty much the theme straight up and no staging required. It's great to use something your doing for a theme.

(y)

Cheers all - I did have a go at a B&W after your suggestion Andy - but really could'nt get it to work....

And my re-shoot, waaaay back from week 7....... You all said......

I'd prefer less clutter and may loose the kettle.

Only crit would be that I don't think the kettle adds anything to the shot!

, I feel would benefit from losing the kettle from the scene.

I think I'd agree with wanting to lose the kettle, .

agree about the kettle,

agree with majority as to losing the kettle,

although I agree that the kettle could be left out.

I'd also lose the kettle

but kettle is not needed.

Well here it is without the blimmin' kettle, and if anyone says that on reflection they prefer it in.............. :nono: As before - I took one shot to start with (got my remote release now), and then took a few tipping sugar into the mug, picked the best and layered it over the first, and painted out all the spilled grains to give a clean worksurface.

Last edited:
I do miss the kettle :LOL: and have you not heard of a teaspoon :naughty:
apart from all that much better :clap:

Good idea for Vertical... obvious now you've done it! Nice comp, and perfect DOF.

Reshoot... well actually I...

Vertical: Oh come on :LOL: anyone can see that you photoshopped that bubble into the right place :LOL:

Seriously though, what a great idea and you have shot & processed it to perfection, looks like a pamphlet shot for a "how to" from the DIY shop. 10 out of 10 mate. :clap:

Re-shoot. I just looked at the two side by side (old and new) and it's nice to see the improvements you have made since then. (and how much you have learned) Well done Graham.

Thanks everyone - the falling sugar is a fun shot to take - I can definately see the improvements too. (y)

Week 20 - PATTERN

Patterns everywhere, so two from me........

and

Cheers!

Last edited:
Shot 2 for me. Simple but very effective and on theme. Lovely colours too.(y)

Back