First micro 4/3 camera and lens buying advice

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, I have decided to sell my nikon D90, as much as I love the results I can get with it I just do not use it enough as it is too big and bulky to carry about and I have a bad neck so the weight of the kit over a day gets to be too much and is not worth it anymore so I have pretty much decided on a move to micro 4/3.

I am choosing micro 4/3 as it suits my requirements for a light, compact body and lenses, I can get a model with a tilting screen so i can get shots down low without hurting my neck and its a mature system but I would like a little advice on what to go for.

At the moment I have my eyes set on an olympus epl5 or omd em5 (not looking at the upcoming e5 as out of my budget), I will have up to £1100, probably more like £900-1000 and would like a body and preferably the panasonic 20mm and a telephoto (300mm+ equivalent) to start off with.

So...does anybody have any suggestions of other bodies I should take a look at that have a tilting lcd and preferably touchscreen focusing? and any other suggestions for lenses?

Would I maybe be better getting a much cheaper body like a ep/epl 1,2 or 3 and spending the money saved on some quality glass then upgrading to an omd e5 or epl5 when the next models come out?

Can't go wrong with the OM-D or alternatively the Panasonic G5.

The OM-D screen only tilts up and down whereas the G5 is fully swivelable.

The G5 also a fraction of the cost of the OM-D so you'd easily get all your lens requirements but with the OM-D you be struggling in your budget.

A G5, 20mm 1.7 and 100-300mm is within budget, would make a great light, fairly compact set-up.

I've owned all of the above, couldn't fault any of them. I personally found the G5 slightly more responsive than the OMD, plus the articulation of the screen is far greater which may be crucial to you. The 100-300 in particular is an impressive beast given it's size and focal length...http://www.flickr.com/photos/harry_s/sets/72157627423747391/

If you don't mind imports you could get likes of a OMD body for £629 HDEW which is cheaper than a 2nd hand UK model.. least with the import you would have a warranty even if it involved returning to seller.
I tend to deal with onestop digital if i buy imports yet they don't seem to stock the body only which is a pity as there very good to deal with and they price match.

Hi Matt, have you considered the GX1 with the additional EVF, this tilts through 90 degrees thus allowing grind level shooting if required.

Lots to consider thanks guys, was looking last night and now slightly lusting after the OMD 12-50mm kit lens for its macro capabilitys, I enjoy macro and would like to explore it more but not for the £400 price tag of the oly 60mm.

Really need to handle them but Lincoln does not have any omd's or epl5 or g5s anywhere, guy in LCE said they will be getting more omds in a few weeks but none of the others, is there anywhere in Nottingham or sheffield that stocks all three?

Lots to consider thanks guys, was looking last night and now slightly lusting after the OMD 12-50mm kit lens for its macro capabilitys, I enjoy macro and would like to explore it more but not for the £400 price tag of the oly 60mm.

Really need to handle them but Lincoln does not have any omd's or epl5 or g5s anywhere, guy in LCE said they will be getting more omds in a few weeks but none of the others, is there anywhere in Nottingham or sheffield that stocks all three?

Have you considered a legacy macro lens and adaptor? Might give better results than the Oly 12-50 but be cheaper than Oly 60? You'd lose AF, but I understand a lot of macro officionardoes recommend manual focus anyway.

Many people use manual focus for macro rather than AF as you need to choose what the camera will focus on, so, why not go for a legacy macro lens? I went for a Minolta MC/MD fit Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro and I'm very happy with it.

I've just checked a used dealers website and they have a 55mm f2.8 macro for £69.99 plus yoy'd need a MD to MFT adapter so that's another £10. Still a lot cheaper than an AF macro though.

Have you considered a legacy macro lens and adaptor? Might give better results than the Oly 12-50 but be cheaper than Oly 60? You'd lose AF, but I understand a lot of macro officionardoes recommend manual focus anyway.

Sorry, you beat me too it.

Raynox DCR150/250 for macro. Would allow you to explore, not cost the earth and gives pretty good results.

With the Raynox, the magnification is dependent on the lens it is used on - the longer it is, the more you get. I think the 250 is an x8 magnifier....

Woof/Llama/Andy - do any of those options give a true 1:1 macro ability? - might dabble myself if it is that cheap.

Can't answer that with any certainty - I'm looking into macro myself.

I suggested a legacy lens as it's generally accepted that a dedicated macro lens will give better results. If you can live with manual AF, you can pick up some legacy macro lenses pretty cheap and adaptors without electrics are dirt cheap too. You could probably get a setup for about the same/a little more than a new Raynox.

I like to carry a small amount of kit so have ruled out a dedicated macro lens. I have the 12-50, but prefer to carry the 14-150 instead as then I don't need a longer zoom as well.
Trying to decide between a Raynox 150 (~£40) or a +4 close-up filter (~£15-20 for a 'decent' Hoya one). Does anyone know how big are the Raynox's? Would it fit in a normal filter pouch (I'm thinking about the depth of it)?

Does anyone know how big are the Raynox's? Would it fit in a normal filter pouch (I'm thinking about the depth of it)?
I have a 250. It's about 20mm deep by 80mm across with a couple of arms that come out further than that.

Can't answer that with any certainty - I'm looking into macro myself.

I suggested a legacy lens as it's generally accepted that a dedicated macro lens will give better results. If you can live with manual AF, you can pick up some legacy macro lenses pretty cheap and adaptors without electrics are dirt cheap too. You could probably get a setup for about the same/a little more than a new Raynox.

I like to carry a small amount of kit so have ruled out a dedicated macro lens. I have the 12-50, but prefer to carry the 14-150 instead as then I don't need a longer zoom as well.
Trying to decide between a Raynox 150 (~£40) or a +4 close-up filter (~£15-20 for a 'decent' Hoya one). Does anyone know how big are the Raynox's? Would it fit in a normal filter pouch (I'm thinking about the depth of it)?

I already have a raynox 250 but rarely use it, the working distance is tiny (lens almost touching subject) and the dof is paper thin which is why I am looking at a dedicated option, they are however very small, I would say that for macro stills with some patience its good but for anything moving or that you need a bit of working distance with its not that good, I barely use mine as its a pig to use, especially handheld, however with patiencene you can get fantastic shots with it so do not let me put you off :p

I am getting more tempted by a gx1, g5 or lower specced olympus with 20mm and telephoto aswell as a legacy macro and adaptor and if I'm really squeeky I might even get a speedlite and off camera triggers into my budget....thats a fair bit better than a top of the line camera and kit lens me thinks ( which I can get later for cheaper antway if I wanted) :D

Woof/Llama/Andy - do any of those options give a true 1:1 macro ability? - might dabble myself if it is that cheap.

I can't really talk about the science and the math but the Sigma 50mm f2.8 I bought is a macro lens and it'll focus closer than a couple of inches of the front of the lens. I use it when going for a walk and shooting general stuff and flower shots.

To give you some idea of the close focus ability this is a whole (as in, not cropped) shot of my mobile phone... Actually, scrap the mobile phone picture, here's a shot of a steel rule (mm)...

Is that true macro? Close enough for me.

Last edited:
Looks like you are getting 17.3mm on a 17.3mm sensor. That's 1:1 macro. (y)

Yes, I was quits surprised to see that it did indeed look like 17.3mm. Surprised I could hold the camera that still too as it's a hand held shot.

This is with a Raynox DCR150 on a manual OM100mm lens, camera's an e=pl3 - they work quite nicely together.

521861_10151644786277176_1865132163_n.jpg

What are peoples opinions of the gx1? I know it does not have a tilt/ articulated screen but I have seen one with kit lens for £280 in my local currys?

What are peoples opinions of the gx1? I know it does not have a tilt/ articulated screen but I have seen one with kit lens for £280 in my local currys?

I have one of them too and actually prefer the menus to the OM-D.

Not a lot in it picture wise IMHO.

I also prefer the form factor to the OM-D but occasions when sun is shining bright you can't really see the LCD screen - you could always buy the add-on viewfinder for the gx1 if you can't justify the OM-D.

I have a GX1 and a OM-D aswell :D i find the OM-D cleaner at higher iso, prefer its colour reproduction and has built in IS unlike the GX1,
But the GX1 is a very nice and well built camera at alot cheaper price so its well worth looking at (y)

I have a GX1 and a OM-D aswell :D i find the OM-D cleaner at higher iso, prefer its colour reproduction and has built in IS unlike the GX1,
But the GX1 is a very nice and well built camera at alot cheaper price so its well worth looking at (y)

Agreed, the ibis in the OM-D with any lens is worth it's weight in gold (y)

Really torn, G5 looks much bulkier with that grip than I would like, I want something thin that I can chuck in a coat pocket / work bag so it is always on me..so in other words while almost perfect in every other way the G5 is looking an unlikely choice.

That leaves the choice of a Panasonic GX1 and some serious glass to go with it, think with my budget I could get camera+kit lens, 20mm pancake and then have £4-500 left for lenses and a flash/flash triggers BUT the screen does not tilt or articulate, I could get a viewfinder for low level shooting but at £150 I am then in the price range I could get an epl5 for which has a tilting screen...I think it is beween these two now but I have no idea, I can go back to currys and try out the gx1 but there is nowhere near that stocks epl5 to try it out...arrggghhh!

You could also consider the G3 - it's a wee bit smaller than the G5 and a bargain at £199 body only: http://www.abc-digital-cameras.co.uk/Panasonic-DMC-G3-Body-Only-Black.html

http://camerasize.com/compare/#185,347
You get an evf plus the articulating screen and IQ is similar to the GX1 and G5.

Not much in it size wise though and the G5 grip does offer better ergonomics plus you get a few other benefits over the G3 (higher res screen, horizon level, evf auto eye detect sensor, electronic shutter option, touchscreen focus point selection while using evf, plus slightly better high iso performance I think?) http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3286349

The G3 is still a bit large for a pocket though - but mine will fit in a jacket pocket with the 20mm lens but it looks a bit odd having a big bump in your jacket pocket. :) I use a £2 Alpkit pouch as a camera 'bag'/cover to protect it which is a perfect snug fit (A6, black one): http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16151
G3 + 20mm fits nicely into my down jacket pocket in winter though, so a jacket with big pockets or a work bag is no problem.

But if you got a GX1 with an evf you would still have to take the evf on and off every time you used the camera if you wanted to fit it into a pocket.

Main advantage for me is having a viewfinder - having owned an EPL1; EPL3 and GF3 I don't think I would go back to a camera without a viewfinder now I have the G3. I also found the ergonomics of the Olympus cameras to be poor (and I don't have huge hands). :)

Sigma 19mm f2.8 is a budget alternative to the Panasonic lens and worth considering - the older (optically identical) version at under £100 is a bargain!

Last edited:
Went for the G5, did not handle the gx1 but the deal I got on the g5 was too good to pass up, I got g5+kit lens+redeemable 45-150mm telephoto and 20mm pancake for £480 :)

camera is refurbished but guy in the shop said they are reclaimed cameras from stores that went bust and then went back to panasonic so actually are new, which is a better deal than the othe lce store 10 mins walk away that wanted £530 for the same but with no redeemable lens, I'm pretty chuffed right now :D

That's a good deal. By comparison, I paid >£1,000 for an OM-D and chipolata!

Enjoy your kit - in particular, the 20mm is a very nice lens.

Back