weekly overbez's 52 for 2013.... ** COMPLETE **

Week 23 - Size

How it's done.... and take II added further down page. (y)

Last edited:
An interesting and creative take on the theme Graham (y)

It's just playing a little funny on my eyes though, the pencil is in focus but the needle looks a little oof to me.

It is cleverly done nonetheless and a good early submission.

Its very clever but as the other comments have mentioned the focus on the needle is a bit off and the line on the needle where the pencil comes through is a bit noticeable great idea though :clap:

Now that is pretty darned impressive.....not worried about the needle being a tad oof cos the shot is just so ....good ...or even better WOW :clap:

now...need to know the "how" though...care to share mister ??

I really like the simplicity of below... just the shape of the plane against a plain, but really nicely coloured sky. Framed nicely too, with just enough space for it to move into.

Size is really nice, a clever take on the theme. Really nice colours and I like the dof. The slight oof-ness of the needle highlights the sharpness of the pencil IMO. Not entirely sure about the fadey/bordery thing though.

Cheers guys - real life pencil, and real life sewing needle :eek:, got all of the pencil in focus (added a bit of blur to the end as it's behind the "focal plane").

The needle is really hard to shoot (Using my 55-300 with an old manual 50mm prime reversed on the end of it) - this was intended to be a trial run, but it turned out better than I expected.

Fadey border is a white vignette Nick - added to disguise the hard edges where the pencil and needle exit the shot.

Lynne, as said - 2 shots, layered together in PS, Paint out part of the pencil where it "passses through" the needle, add shadow under the pencil, and on the pencil to the right of the needle.

csc5102.jpg

csc5101.jpg

I'm going to have a few more tries at the needle later this week - If I can get it better I might re-try the shot. (y)

Like it, very creative and well composed.

OOF, I can take or leave but if pushed I'd rather it as all in focus. I'd like the see the BG from the needle as the main BG.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy - the BG behind the needle is just a very blurred white envelope, behind the pencil is the pages of my diary.

OK - managed a re-shoot of the needle, DOF is absolutely TINY at the magnification I got here (4.4 X for this one). Can actually see the scratch marks on the side of the needle this time, and I now can see the level of OOF on the front part of the needle eye in the first. (y)

Loved the first one, but that's a considerable improvement!

O-M-G how did I miss so many of your shots?

Greed, not sure on the vignette and the headless swan, I'd maybe crop tightly around the goose and the swan, then it's not so obvious you've decapitated one! Great catch though (y)

Angle one, a perfect subject for the theme. Not sure on the two smaller ones as they're very similar to each other.

The Penrose Lego thing is very clever, how did you do it? It does look like its floating on the white background though.
The edited version is sooooo much better and totally messes with my head!

Rustic, lovely DOF and bokeh. The fence post is a bit less rustic though.

Kind, awwwww what a cute thing. Love the fact both boys are looking at the same place at the same time (something I can never get with my kids), great DOF and composition.

Vertical, just perfect subject and great composition. Love the fence in the background.

Reshoot, much better, nice detail throughout. That's some big spoonful of sugar.

Pattern, not sure on the disc, nice pattern but it's beaten by the frosted glass image.

The spiralling mirror is very clever, how did you do that?

Movement, all three are great shots and I can't choose a favourite. I've tried shooting these and was totally rubbish! My only crit is in number three there's some grey blob on the Tarmac that I would clone out

Below, nice shot of the G550. Is it wrong that I checked the reg to see if it's one of my customers! Oh and they rarely approach completely wings level, mostly depending on the wind and what type of approach they make! I did laugh about the flash comment! If you come to my airfield you can sit right under the aircraft when they're about 4-500ft high on finals! It's spotter heaven, not that I'm saying you're a spotter :whistle:

Size (reshoot) is very clever, some nice photoshop trickery going on there(y)

Phew, all caught up! I think I need a brandy now!

size, the second time is a big improvement....I first saw this and liked the idea but it just looked too fake to me. focus and background much better now though making the pencil seem a bit more natural...

Great idea for the size shot, very clever indeed.

Much better.
Loved the first one, but that's a considerable improvement!
size, the second time is a big improvement....

Cheers - was worth re-doing..... Must admit I was happy with the first - as it was just a trial run really. Thought the comments about the focus were a bit harsh to start with, but looking back entirely justified and ultimately most welcome. (y)

O-M-G how did I miss so many of your shots?
Don't worry Marsha, not taken personally :nuts:
The Penrose Lego thing is very clever, how did you do it?...................... The edited version is sooooo much better and totally messes with my head!
If you really, really, really, want to know (you don't really... do you??), here's a link to the shot that will destroy the illusion for you forever!!!
Different angle, different aperture, no PS. Or the original, non-PS'd version, (still gives the game away).

The spiralling mirror is very clever, how did you do that?
Best explanation I typed out here

My only crit is in number three there's some grey blob on the Tarmac that I would clone out.
HOW ON EARTH did I not see that. :eek:, Spent over half an hour in PS with this one turning the blimmin car round, and missed the dust spot :puke:

Below, nice shot of the G550.
Who's the anorak... :whistle:

Phew, all caught up! I think I need a brandy now!
Think you deserve one!

PS. Bet you clicked the triangle reveal link.... :LOL:

HOW ON EARTH did I not see that. :eek:, Spent over half an hour in PS with this one turning the blimmin car round, and missed the dust spot :puke:

:LOL: Isn't it annoying when that happens!

Who's the anorak... :whistle:
No anorak here, really! When I'm at work and someone says 'what type is that aircraft' my response is generally 'well it's white and has wings!' I'm soooooooo clueless with biz jets it's untrue, which is bonkers as they're our main customers at Northolt! I may or may not have googled the reg to see what company it was from and stumbled on the type! :whistle:

PS. Bet you clicked the triangle reveal link.... :LOL:
Nope, missed that one!

Thanks for the details though on some of your shots. You clearly have too much time to be spending in Photoshop :geek:

Knowing how hard it is to get the needle in focus you'd done a good job and then you reshoot and put in a great image.

Darned good image that Graham. :LOL:

Anyway, sorry to be so late to the party this week has been a frantic one for me.

I really like your pencil through the needle, Especially the re-shoot. Nice set up and good colours and of course impeccable PP. Excellent. Oh, and well done for re-shooting it too :clap:

FWIW I have the 4x close up filter from 7day shop, it works a treat and it's cheap too. PLUS your AF and AE still work!

Size: Brilliant shot, very well thought out and done! Thanks for the how to, would never have thought of anything like that before this 52!

Thanks for the details though on some of your shots. You clearly have too much time to be spending in Photoshop :geek:

Mostly just the time my wife spends watching Hollyoaks. :LOL:

Knowing how hard it is to get the needle in focus you'd done a good job and then you reshoot and put in a great image.

Darned good image that Graham. :LOL:

Size: Brilliant shot, very well thought out and done! Thanks for the how to, would never have thought of anything like that before this 52!

Thanks all, I'm not sure that posting up a "how I did", or "what I started with" makes the shot more or less interesting, I think overall I'm posting up shots less "reliant" on PP than I thought I might, some do need it, but a fair number are simply "processed"..

Process, millions of different types of process..... but hard to get them all into one shot....

So I've taken the theme as Processing, and the number of different ways you can make a shot look, simply by processing it differently.

Thought it would work best with a simple image, so what more simple than a single red rose..... Processed 9 different ways.....

And 2 different layouts......

and

Hi Graham, Nice idea!

I prefer the 2nd one (with the 9 equal size images) and of them I prefer the bottom left individual image.

The basic rose image seems to be a bit blown in the top petal?

Lots of work here coming up with the different "processes", well done.

cheers Brian, full size one of the "soft focus" version >>>> here <<<<, just for you... :cool:

blown petal?? in the red or the highlight? Possibly, did push the contrast up a bit, to get a "processed" look....

Hi Graham

Brilliant idea and very well handled in both shots. I like the detail in the centre rose in #1 which has great impact, so much so that the bottom line becomes a bit insignificant. #2 comes closest to the theme for me because I can see more detail in each to reflect the process. This is partic true of top middlel and bottom left which are not as easily legible in #1. Overall tho I think that these are shots of beauty. :clap:

Last edited:
The second one for me, you have organised them really well. as superpippo says in the first you are drawn just to the centre rose the second one really brings out all the different types of processing you have used, excellent :clap:

Overall tho I think that these are shots of beauty. :clap:

you have organised them really well......................, excellent :clap:
and worthy of a print for me (y)

WOW, thank-you guys...... seems that quite often there's a particular version of a shot that works "as an image on it's own", and one that works better "for the theme".....

Initial plan was for the first - but as I was putting it together I did think it might work better with all nine displayed the same size.

Graham, sorry I've been slow at commenting recently.

Movement: you're right thatthe first shot shows the most movement, but number 2 is an absolute cracker for me! Really good panning skills on show here, well done!

Below: very very definitely below, and very well taken with lots of detail in the plane. OTOH I wasn't sure it was very interesting other than to plane fans!

Size: I thought the first one was brilliant, but the reshoot was even better. That's a great shot and fully justifies a composite. Amazing.

Process: again, like this, and prefer the second version, although in each case I find the soft focus image rather disturbing (think I'm a minority here). Great stuff, and interesting to see how much can be done with one image...

Very nice idea. I think i too prefer the 2nd layout. Its great to see side by side how different processing makes the same shot look.

Number 2 does it for me, with each image having equal weight, so to speak. A really good idea, and really nicely presented. The arrangement of mono & colour works really well.

Good idea, the first set does it for me as I like the larger image, nothing wrong with the other set though.

Hi Graham

what a fab idea & great choice of subject .

On the layouts........I prefer the 1st set simply as they seem easier to see as individual images with emphasis on just one . I like the choice of frame & borders plus the super black background :clap:

On the images themselves ,the main rose in #1 really appeals for both lighting & placement though possibly could use a little more light on the centre as seems a smidge dark...this could be my screen though ?

My favourite of the individual images is the 3rd one from the left on the top row of the 1st image.....lovely n soft n very romantic :clap:

Thanks all, glad to see the first edit getting approval too...

Think the one you like is the soft focus (done in Picasa), I linked a full size version for Brian on the last page ( >>>> or also here <<<<)

And onto Rock, week 25 - nearly half way! :banana:

Rock salt.... tried a few shots inside, but found them very flat, so out to the garden to get some light behind the crystals.

Hi Graham

As you say taking them outside in the sun has certainly worked for carrying the light through them, nice sharp focus and position in the frame :clap:

Hi Graham,
Rock, I really like this, particularly the simplicity of it.
Everything about it works well, you holding the detail in the rocksalt through to the shadow and the detail in the wood.
Some nice leading lines through the frame with the grain of the wood.

Good work (y)

Back