Portrait or Landscape: Whats your pick

Really, I prefer the landscape Loch Lomond Jetty one as my personal best, then maybe the Rannoch Moor Lochan Na H Achaillaise ones earlier in the Flickr page as my faves.

To be honest, the chap who mentioned it to me that I tend to orientate landscape only is a keen photographer but on a car forum I go on. I never really had the confidence to try it until recently and wasn't happy posting it here until recently

Think I would agree with Jake on this one

both great images but the portrait has more impact.

Landscape for me....it just feels right.
Beautiful image.

With Ben Cruachan being so small within the frame, I'd say the photograph needs a strong foreground.

There is certainly more interest in the extra foreground contained in the portrait shot than there is in the extra hillside contained in the landscape shot.

The portrait version has far more depth to the image and in terms of the composition, more thought seems to have been given to the framing of the rocks.

Were the foregrounds equal I would probably lean towards a landscape composition but in this example I think the portrait shot is a better image.

Last edited:
I tend to take more shots in portrait mode - I'm not sure why.

Although I have been known to rotate a 6x6 camera (square image) by ninety degrees!

Steve.

Love the portrait one, although I'd be inclined to see what it's like with a bit of the top cut off. Nice work!

hmm.. i would say (as a Lynton rule, therefore b****ks) unless anything big and vertical (and fairly close) a landscape should be landscape and a portrait portrait... however I have done both both ways, and yes they can work..

What an interesting learning curve this thread is. I'll be back there and take more portraits and landscapes, you need to compose differently though for portrait and ensure you have a strong FG imho to pull it off

Portrait for me. It seems to pull the sky and the horizon in a little more. Having said that, would a crop of the landscape do the same? Sorry, not being decisive. Portrait, definitely.

Well, I just hid the cut off rocks at the bottom with a piece of paper but still preferred the portrait version, I think because in the landscape one the hills either side tail off at different points taking away some symmetry. Nature not playing ball.

Back