Still having problems

Name
Helen
Edit My Images
No
Shot

Last edited:
the focus is way off and for f8 it lacks any detail in the face and the eyes are not tack sharp, looks like you missed the focus point (eyes)

Les :shrug:

ps maybe a faster shutter speed would help!

Same

Last edited:
the focus is way off and for f8 it lacks any detail in the face and the eyes are not tack sharp, looks like you missed the focus point (eyes)

Les :shrug:

ps maybe a faster shutter speed would help!

This is what I'm not getting I focused on her right eye using spot

I could try 1/200 just :shrug:

Depressed :(

Last edited:
Baffled :shrug: what lens are you using ? the only thing i can think of is you flashes being out of sync with camera, as the second shot outside looks a lot better, but i may be way off, you need to get Garry or Hoppy on the case, PM one or both of them :)

Shot in neff pp WB 5500 +5% clarity
ISO100 1/125 f8 85mm

Still not tack sharp on the face and hair on the left is *Fizzed* :(

Girl1 by HS-uk, on Flickr

H

Worth getting a tripod and doing again, have you a remote for it? i'd expect sharper stuff at 1/125, looks like there maybe a little camera shake here?

I'd also try to fill the frame more, taking it upright so the face is bigger in the shot

On my Sony a77 I noticed that with one lens my images were not as sharp as the others and on the Sony a77 (and maybe others) there is an option to adjust the focus for that lens (while on that body).

Is there anything like that on your body?

Worth getting a tripod and doing again, have you a remote for it? i'd expect sharper stuff at 1/125, looks like there maybe a little camera shake here?

I'd also try to fill the frame more, taking it upright so the face is bigger in the shot

I cropped it that way as was going to ad text, she was center in the shot

Camera shake, yeah I'm just not sure it's just that as other shops are ok
yes I have a remote, but don't want to be doing ever shot that way.

Last edited:

Thats why I'd recommend a much higher shutter speed & maybe lift the ISO if you need to, to achieve this

Les (y)

The flash speed defines the effective shutter speed assuming low effective ambient. You will be up close to 1/1000th of a second, even though your shutter speed is 1/125th.

The lens is not in focus (looks to be front focused as there doesn't appear to be any part of the head in perfect focus). Could you be moving back and fore between focusing and taking the shot (focus/recompose or half shutter press)? At short distances, even f8 can give shallow depth of field...

Thats why I'd recommend a much higher shutter speed & maybe lift the ISO if you need to, to achieve this

Les (y)

Why would she need a much higher shutter speed ? 125 should be fine under studio conditions, as should ISO 100-200, max 400, their is something else going on here.

The flash speed defines the effective shutter speed assuming low effective ambient. You will be up close to 1/1000th of a second, even though your shutter speed is 1/125th.

The lens is not in focus (looks to be front focused as there doesn't appear to be any part of the head in perfect focus). Could you be moving back and fore between focusing and taking the shot (focus/recompose or half shutter press)? At short distances, even f8 can give shallow depth of field...

I was still, did not move, as she was, focused and fired :shrug:

I was still, did not move, as she was, focused and fired :shrug:
You would be surprised at how much you might have moved.

Either that or the focus was off for some reason (lens misalignment/low ambient making phase detect inaccurate/wrong focus point). In a studio environment, it is very unlikely to be camera shake.

Baffled :shrug: what lens are you using ? the only thing i can think of is you flashes being out of sync with camera, as the second shot outside looks a lot better, but i may be way off, you need to get Garry or Hoppy on the case, PM one or both of them :)

Have asked them in the lighting forum

H

You would be surprised at how much you might have moved.

Either that or the focus was off for some reason (lens misalignment/low ambient making phase detect inaccurate/wrong focus point). In a studio environment, it is very unlikely to be camera shake.

Clearly we would all move a little even in just breathing
Have changed the fine tune a couple of times with no real difference.

Have you tried it with a variety of lenses - might isolate the fact as to whether its shake or the individual lens - not entirely (if at all) scientific, but might give you an idea?

S

Have you tried it with a variety of lenses - might isolate the fact as to whether its shake or the individual lens - not entirely (if at all) scientific, but might give you an idea?

S

As you know I lost a lens recently and still not 100 %on what to replace it with.
However this lens, while not the best should perform in the studio, it's fine outside

Something is going to pot in the studio and I just can't nail down what it is.

However I've tried it on two cameras, the D5100 and D7000 with the same results
My D600 is back with Nikon as looks to be ****** but under warranty

H

Last edited:
If the studio has high ambient light could it not be that we are getting two images, one from the flash and the second from the ambient light, thereby looking like camera shake, alternatively the flash is actually being drowned out by the ambient light and is being shut down before its given a full blast. Can you take a test shot at the same iso/shutter/aperture without flash and see what you get in terms of an image.

Have you tried it with a variety of lenses - might isolate the fact as to whether its shake or the individual lens

This is a must :)

If the studio has high ambient light could it not be that we are getting two images, one from the flash and the second from the ambient light, thereby looking like camera shake.

I can't see how this could happen, i've shot plenty of times in studio conditions with ambient light straying through, ambient light wouldn't cause a double exposure.

If the studio has high ambient light could it not be that we are getting two images, one from the flash and the second from the ambient light, thereby looking like camera shake, alternatively the flash is actually being drowned out by the ambient light and is being shut down before its given a full blast. Can you take a test shot at the same iso/shutter/aperture without flash and see what you get in terms of an image.

There in none, it's a closed off room and I turn off the lights.

H

is this the only shot from this series that is soft like this?

What about the shot before and the shot after?

The occasional soft shot is no great issue but if its every shot then you have a mechanical error somewhere with the camera and/or lens.

is this the only shot from this series that is soft like this?

What about the shot before and the shot after?

The occasional soft shot is no great issue but if its every shot then you have a mechanical error somewhere with the camera and/or lens.

There were about 6 to 10, most looked good to go on the review but were much the same uploaded on the pc

I've had some replies from Garry and Hoppy in the lighting forum and would like to continue this over there as this is more about technical problems than anything else

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=494286

Thanks all for your help so far

H

Last edited:
D7000 is notoriously "off" with focus. Have you dialed in a micro adjustment for the lens?

Was there a lens hood on?

Back