Pre-wedding shoot and shot I didn't use

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Here's a couple of pics from a recent pre-wedding shoot... the 1st I had to come up with something interesting as it started pouring down outside just after we started the shoot (it's in her grandparents house / garden) and the 2nd I liked but she hated due to having a bit of a double chin and so I agreed not to put it in the storyboard.

Happy to get critique on these... does the 1st look good? I went for a bit of an Anton Corbijn feel to it, or at least tried to.

Do you agree the 2nd isn't all that good?

9611288378_b3b5eee781_z.jpg

9608053691_77644062e3_z.jpg

Here's a link to the rest of the set, please note you're under no obligation to click it ;)

http://www.andyhudsonphotography.co...ding-shoot-newcastle-pre-wedding-photography/

nice to see the lawn cut with the stripes, its little details like that which can make or break a photo

I think the second one posted here is the best of them all. Fair enough she isn't too fond of her double chin which I never noticed until I you mentioned it - easy fix though.

The second best in my opinion is the one on the left below the BW where she cuddles to him behind the table but I would have brought them a wee bit closer, dropped her hand and rest her head on his chest or asked them to touch foreheads.

Am I right in thinking you have used zooms on most of them?

Its purely a matter of taste but the second image doesn't bowl me over in all honesty. Its technically sound but it just doesn't really appeal to my taste although i can certainly see why it may to others. There is nothing more frustrating than when you think you've nailed a lovely shot but the subject doesn't like it. Its their opinion that counts at the end if the day but its a shame as I can see that it definitely would've added something to the story board.

You can see that you've had to work hard to make the set as dynamic as possible and on the whole I think its a nice set. Not one of your very best given some of the more recent locations that you've had to work with but still some very nice, crisp images in there.

I think the second one posted here is the best of them all. Fair enough she isn't too fond of her double chin which I never noticed until I you mentioned it - easy fix though.

The second best in my opinion is the one on the left below the BW where she cuddles to him behind the table but I would have brought them a wee bit closer, dropped her hand and rest her head on his chest or asked them to touch foreheads.

Am I right in thinking you have used zooms on most of them?

It's interesting that I've done this shot twice now and both times the bride to be didn't like it, might be time to try doing it slightly differently.

It was hard to get her to pose, he was really happy to do what ever I asked but she was 'oh god that's so cheesy' and stuff like that so I tried to keep it less posey where possible... I suggested touching foreheads for a different shot and got told 'no way' :LOL:

Oh yeah and most were shot on a 24-70mm zoom, with one or 2 on a 50mm prime :)

Its purely a matter of taste but the second image doesn't bowl me over in all honesty. Its technically sound but it just doesn't really appeal to my taste although i can certainly see why it may to others. There is nothing more frustrating than when you think you've nailed a lovely shot but the subject doesn't like it. Its their opinion that counts at the end if the day but its a shame as I can see that it definitely would've added something to the story board.

You can see that you've had to work hard to make the set as dynamic as possible and on the whole I think its a nice set. Not one of your very best given some of the more recent locations that you've had to work with but still some very nice, crisp images in there.

Yeah I would have liked to have kept it in the storyboard but she really didn't like how she looked so I said I'd remove it. I agree I think it adds to the overall storyboard as its a different type of shot but customer satisfaction is the most important thing.

It was getting quite dull and dark as it was about 7:30pm on a very overcast day... High iso's and plenty of flash which isn't my strongest skill... I was happy with the shots on the bench with another flash used to the light up wall as not tried anything like that before. (y)

I think engagement shoots are a good way to judge someone's ability to work with a couple. It's less reportage and more traditional portraiture. There's also less 'stuff' to shoot (dresses, signs, shoes, cakes etc) and it's more about the people.

With this in mind I think you need to consider the following:-

1) arms
2) loose hands
3) fingers
4) expressions - she looks miserable in some and uncomfortable in others

I think engagement shoots are a good way to judge someone's ability to work with a couple. It's less reportage and more traditional portraiture. There's also less 'stuff' to shoot (dresses, signs, shoes, cakes etc) and it's more about the people.

With this in mind I think you need to consider the following:-

1) arms
2) loose hands
3) fingers
4) expressions - she looks miserable in some and uncomfortable in others

Good advice and posing people is something I'm trying to improve on... can you be more specific about which points relate to which pics?

Number 4 I can respond to by saying 'you should meet her' :LOL: She's very nice and friendly but absolutely hates having her photo taken, had to drink a couple of vodka's beforehand and hates her smile and so didn't want to use it.

I did her sister's wedding earlier this year and she's exactly the same... very nice and friendly but not comfortable at all in front of the camera

For what it's worth, I agree with the above. The male looks a natural in front of the camera, but unfortunately the lady, less so. She looks really uncomfortable in most of them. I appreciate that on the whole, that's largely out of your control though :)

Really like the b+w foreground / background - him/her focused shots

For what it's worth, I agree with the above. The male looks a natural in front of the camera, but unfortunately the lady, less so. She looks really uncomfortable in most of them. I appreciate that on the whole, that's largely out of your control though :)

Yeah tbh she came out a lot more comfortable looking than I expected, was happy with the pics which was more than I expected and even ordered a print of one which was MEGA unexpected :cool:

Good advice and posing people is something I'm trying to improve on... can you be more specific about which points relate to which pics?

Number 4 I can respond to by saying 'you should meet her' :LOL: She's very nice and friendly but absolutely hates having her photo taken, had to drink a couple of vodka's beforehand and hates her smile and so didn't want to use it.

I did her sister's wedding earlier this year and she's exactly the same... very nice and friendly but not comfortable at all in front of the camera

Andy that's another reason for posting a series of shots here in the forum. You can number them and it makes it so much easier to reference particular pictures.

But it's no more overkill than linking to a storyboard of 150 pictures!

Back