weekly overbez's 52 for 2013.... ** COMPLETE **

Hi Graham
Two nice shots for solitude,
have to go for the fisherman too, love the reflection and the greens in the water and you have caught the line really well its a nice touch :clap:

Solitude #1 for me. Well composed and you've really captured him mid cast. Not sure if you desaturated to fit the theme, but I's like to see a tad more pop to the colours.

Cheers.

Cheers everyone - actually the more I look at these two, the more I like them... I could barely actually see the line from the fisherman, so was rapid firing when he popped the rod back hoping to catch the curve of the line, glad I did.

The spider, there were loads of webs about that misty morning, and I was thinking it would be nice if one of these has a spider sat in it, and then lo-and-behold, there one was!

So onto week 39.... :eek:

Sweet, sorry Mr. Obvious this week, pretty much the shot I had in my head for once this week.

Sunglasses on everyone!!!

Sweet Bicycles! - did I ever tell you I have 4 bikes? non of them are made of sugar though!

My guess is it's one image cloned many times with different colours applied? works a treat (pun intended), nice one. (y)

solitude, really like the first shot of the fisherman, caught at just the right moment and love the symmetry provided by the reflection and vignette

sweet? I don't entirely get it, a bit too vivid for my tastes. not sure what to say re. crit, how have you put this together?

Hi Graham

very colourful, there are a few white bits of the BG showing on the right bottom not sure you intended that :thinking:
Not really sure what else to say very undecided about it,

Hi, wow, that's bright :runaway:

Good effort, but it looks a tad rushed to me. Maybe a little more time in PP tidying it up a but may help.

Cheers.

Sweet Bicycles! - did I ever tell you I have 4 bikes? non of them are made of sugar though!

My guess is it's one image cloned many times with different colours applied? works a treat (pun intended), nice one. (y)

Thanks Brian, I thought you would approve, And you are correct. (y) (Clever clogs..) :LOL:

solitude, really like the first shot of the fisherman, caught at just the right moment and love the symmetry provided by the reflection and vignette

sweet? I don't entirely get it, a bit too vivid for my tastes. not sure what to say re. crit, how have you put this together?

Cheers Chris, I was going for vivid and bright... :D

Don;t have many sweets in the house (even with 2 kids I know), so I managed to nab one from a packet we had, cleaned a window, stuck the sweet to the window, tilted window up to the sky and photographed it. (T'was the red one btw), and then cut it out by selecting the white bg, and deleting.
Then duplicate, change hue, transform, rotate, move and move up or down layer stack to suit.

very colourful, there are a few white bits of the BG showing on the right bottom not sure you intended that :thinking:
Not really sure what else to say very undecided about it,

Sweet was a rowntrees "Random", so the placement of the bikes was intended to be random, so I wasn;t bothered if they completely went to the edges, did put a white layer under them all so I guess it was intentional.

Hi, wow, that's bright :runaway:

Good effort, but it looks a tad rushed to me. Maybe a little more time in PP tidying it up a but may help.

Cheers Andy, "done quickly" I will hold my hands up to, "rushed"..... not so sure about.. Tiny difference.

I will say I've learned that time spent preparing something your going to duplicate 10-20 times is time well spent. I did bin my first attempt as I left a halo around the sweet which I only really took notice of after I'd duplicated it loads of times...

Made harder by the sloped edge to the sweets, I could cut in a bit tighter to the actual mould of the bike which might help.. :thinking: But it's a re-do, rather than a tidy up.

Solitude - Both are good shots! I'd probably pick the fisherman of the two though, only because it fits the theme slightly better! That said, spider one is a cracker too. Done well to bring out the web so clearly too. (y)

Sweet - wow my eyes! :cool: It sure is vivid! I can see the idea and appreciate the work gone into it. I'm not so sure about it but it is certainly on theme! It's probably quite a tricky thing to isolate against the background - evident by the slight halo to some of them too.

HI Graham

catch up time for me

Solitude......#1 for me....really well caught right down to the line being cast , very peaceful image :clap:
I also love the spider in it's web , the detail in said web is fabulous , Bokeh is great , top shot in it's own right :clap: Just doesn't say solitude like the 1st

Sweet....I get it but it doesn't do much for me I'm afraid ( possibly because I prefer pastel colors to primary types :thinking: Still , it's far better pp than I can manage :)

Thanks Matt and Lynne, moving swiftly on from sweet....

To Week 40.. :eek:

Cut - fairly self explanatory, would have been easier with another pair of hands.... but either a camera or an angle grinder are things I really couldn't trust my wife with. :LOL:

Hi Graham

Thats really odd I was cutting some of that shelving strip with a grinder on Friday in work.:eek:

Caught the sparks really well just about the right exposure, not sure if I would have liked to see the shelving bracket straight or not in the pic,

Great take on the theme Graham, you've captured the sense of movement and heat in the sparks well.
i think the composition works well just as you've posted it, no real crit to add to be honest. (y)

Hi Graham

Power - being lazy, agree with Iain's comments
#2 Cycling shot I like. Good pov and dof showing concentration and power of front rider. Don't know why but partic drawn to the inclusion of the crowd as they all look away and wave into distance ,apparently ignoring the front runners. Just nice :shrug:

Solitude - 2 good shots. #1 spot on theme and echo comments about comp and vignette. #2 is a good capture - lovely web

sweet - not to my taste possibly cos of vibrant colours and slightly ill defined edges of jelly sweets

Cut (I typed Power at first!) - Excellent :clap:Really well caught sparks and set against an appropriate b/g with just enough detail.

Thats really odd I was cutting some of that shelving strip with a grinder on Friday in work.:eek:
Caught the sparks really well just about the right exposure, not sure if I would have liked to see the shelving bracket straight or not in the pic,

Cheers Allan, lucky you didn't decide to use it for your submission idea otherwise I'd have been stumped. Logic on the angle was I wanted a lead in from the corner but was tripping over so many things in the back of the garage that I couldn;t quite get things where I wanted them... never thought of having it straight.

Great take on the theme Graham, you've captured the sense of movement and heat in the sparks well.
i think the composition works well just as you've posted it, no real crit to add to be honest. (y)

Yay, cheers Iain.

Now cut on the other hand, is excellent :clap: I think the sparks have been caught perfectly. I like that the shelf bracket is on angle as the brickwork behind is straight and that matters more to me(y)

Thanks Marsha, this was the last shot I took, and once I had the position, timing and exposure right, I went for it a bit more with the pressure to get the sparks. I love the way some of them seem to shoot out straight, and then sort of split.

Power - being lazy, agree with Iain's comments
#2 Cycling shot I like. Good pov and dof showing concentration and power of front rider. Don't know why but partic drawn to the inclusion of the crowd as they all look away and wave into distance ,apparently ignoring the front runners. Just nice :shrug:

Solitude - 2 good shots. #1 spot on theme and echo comments about comp and vignette. #2 is a good capture - lovely web

sweet - not to my taste possibly cos of vibrant colours and slightly ill defined edges of jelly sweets

Cut (I typed Power at first!) - Excellent :clap:Really well caught sparks and set against an appropriate b/g with just enough detail.

Thanks Alan, yep, a couple of shots in the past few weeks not quite hitting the mark.... but maybe inspiration will strike for the latest reshoot card!

This was one of my ideas for power a couple of weeks back - but I didn't have any discs for the cutter at the time! The BG for "cut " is the inside of the garage, had to move loads of things to find some space, went with the 35mm as I wanted blurred BG, but that meant I had to back the camera against the wall and use the tilty-turny screen again.

Cheers. (y)

Hi Graham, tut tut tut, you should have had your gloves on when using a grinder! (says the man who took a big lump out of his thigh with a 9" version many years ago!)

Nice exposure, you caught the sparks perfectly. I'm not too keen on the composition, perhaps a wider shot would have been more interesting, so we could see all of the sparks ending and falling away, like the shorter ones are?

Yep - should have really, especially as my hedge trimmer took a bite out my finger a couple of weeks back, shame it has healed as it would have done for "cut"... :eek: But it were hard enough to press the buttons from the wrong side of the camera as it was. gloves would have made it much harder.

regards a wider view, possibly, but that is the only section of clear garage wall, and wider would have meant greater DOF, as well as making the "cut" part smaller in the frame....

Last edited:
Seeing as sweet didn't go down too well, I've had another crack at a different meaning. I defy anyone to say our little doggy (Pepper) isn't sweet, ;), and when she can't keep her eyes from falling asleep... even sweeter.

Taken on her chair in the front room, about 9am, near a large window, but still needed ISO 6400, to get shutter of 1/50.

Cut, bang on theme and one of the best for this theme.

Detail, composition and movement are great. I'd like to see a wider view.

Sweet, sweet indeed.

Cheers

Hi Graham

Sweet......love it , perfect focus on the eye's , great DOF , great colors...did I mention that I love it :clap::clap:

Cut....I'm with Iain on this one as no crit to offer , having the shelf strip at an angle works for me , spot on exposure with the sparks :clap:

Cut, bang on theme and one of the best for this theme.

Detail, composition and movement are great. I'd like to see a wider view.

Sweet, sweet indeed.

Thanks Andy, I appreciate that. (y)

Brian also asked for a wider shot - it would then have to become a different shot as I said to Brian above. Cheers!

Sweet......love it , perfect focus on the eye's , great DOF , great colors...did I mention that I love it :clap::clap:

Thanks Lynne, she is a cutie - hard not to get a nice shot of her - except when she's running and her ears go everywhere!

Live wire!

Last edited:
Hi Graham

Brilliant idea, executed superbly can't add anything in the way of crit as it would just be nitpicking.
nice work in what i feel was a really difficult theme this week :clap::clap:

Thankyou chaps - I must admit Brian, I did take a small amount of inspiration and encouragement from your giant Jaffa cake SP.... ;) The cable is just standard 2.5mm² cable, shot separately and then pasted in (larger) to my empty hands.

I did try making a spark from a small battery and a tiny 12V transformer, but couldn't capture it, so had to turn to some PS tutorials for lightning and smoke effects.

Allan, there's plenty to nitpick at there if you really wanted to. :LOL: but I hope it will be taken as a fun take on an, as you say, difficult theme.

(y)

Cheers Graham (y)

btw for future ref: I saw someone on here getting picks of a fuses blowing by doing a long exposure in the dark and cranking up the power till they popped. might also work for sparks? Hope that makes sense!

Thanks everyone,

Lynne, the "texture" is an attempt at smoke, both coming off the ends of the wire ends, and some smudged onto my face. (y)

Cheers Michael - I think you're right. It does!

Been out a number of times this week trying for a reflection shot.... Plenty of rain but no light to actually make something appear in the reflections, or so much wind that the reflection is all blown out. Think I might have something from this morning. Needs processing though.

Also, on a positive note, I'm pretty certain I saw my first ever Kingfisher today too!! Luckily I had my camera at the ready as it flew back out from the bank of the reservoir. :LOL:

Last edited:
Same reservoir bank as I shot my solitude fisherman from - if you look on the full res version (large file), you can see him there again..

Something in there for Brian too.... :LOL:

Thats a cracker.

My only crit would be a little dark on the left side, that's shadows for you :)

Is the fisherman eating a cheese sandwich :LOL:

Hi Graham,
I like live, expertly done (y)
I think I prefer your first one as the smoke effect over your face is a little subtler. It's a creative image, good work all round.

Reflection, a lovely tranquil scene, like the colour tones in there and the glass like water. I agree with Mark, it's a little dark in the corners but other than that spot on (y)

Hi Graham

Can only echo what everyone has already said, nice still water you must have gone out on a better day than me (y)

Cheers guys - is a multishot panorama - similar to my offering for plenty... I set the processing for the central shot of the colourful trees, and then applied the same to all the shots, before stitching them, so the shadowy bits were actually in shadow, and (should) add contrast to the scene, ;).

Allan, was fourth time (day) lucky for the weather, and today has reverted to rain!

Cut works well. Nice capture of the sparks, good comp, and the bare brick wall behind just fits.

Sweet is sweet. The sharp detail at the front, then how the dog just melts into the background. Lovely expression too.

Not sure about the Kingfisher... I just don't feel you've quite nailed the focus. You haven't got a D7000 by any chance??? :D

The bolder version of Live is a 100% improvement, and I loved the original. Creative stuff like that is beyond crit for me really, but I really like it.

Reflection's a cracker too, can't see anything I'd change. Good job! (y)

Back