Martin's Camera Shop - Great seller!

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
No
Now before I start, I'd like to just say that I don't make a habit of recommending shops in this way, in fact, this is the first time I have ever been so impressed with a sellers service as to feel like shouting it from the rooftops!

I'd also like to say that I have absolutely no connection with or any vested interest in Martin's Camera Shop and until this evening I had never met the people who run it. My recommendation is purely based on a great experience of shopping with them this week. Right, now that that's out of the way let me tell you exactly what has impressed me so much...

On Tuesday I was price checking all the usual suspects for a Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 when I came across MARTIN'S CAMERA SHOP who were selling the lens for just £1120, far cheaper than any other domestic dealer I could find. On top of that, if you paid by cheque or cash they would knock off a further 3% (representing the credit card charge) giving a final price for the lens of just £1086.

As they were only a short drive away in Leeds, I emailed to ask if the lens was in stock and if I could collect. They replied almost immediately to say they did not have one in but could get one in a couple of days and would deliver it COD. I telephoned a very helpful lady, Linda, who took my details and said she would deliver it PERSONALLY when it came in... with NO charge for delivery!

Over the next couple of days, Linda kept me updated by email and phone and when they received stock this morning she arranged a time to deliver the lens to me this evening. Sure enough, she arrived at my house at around 7.30 and I am now the proud owner of a fabulous new lens.

Now I don't want to drop them in it by suggesting that they will personally deliver every item people order, or even that they will deliver for free... obviously on this occasion I was lucky enough to be local and for them to be in a position to offer such amazing service. But the point I want to make is that they are a small company who really do CARE about looking after their customers and are building a business not only based on competitive pricing but on service too... how often can you say that in this world of call centres and faceless uncaring e-sellers.

Sure, you could save a bit more by going to Johnny Foreigner in Hong Kong but we all know the issues about warranty and repair and some people really do consider dodging the tax to be immoral. Personally I'd far rather support a local business who are offering good old fashioned service at a great price.

My thanks to Linda and Martin for making it the best transaction ever, I'll certainly be back and I hope some of you reading this will give them a look in too.

Flashy

Nice story and you are happy so that is good. BUT I had a look at their prices (just compared with what I have) and the Canon 100 - 400 is about £200 dearer than Kerso does it for. The rest of their prices aint too competative either.

Doesn't this belong in the Shopping forum? Would a Mod like to move it?
I had a look at their prices (just compared with what I have) and the Canon 100 - 400 is about £200 dearer than Kerso does it for. The rest of their prices aint too competative either.
Sure, you could save a bit more by going to Johnny Foreigner in Hong Kong but we all know the issues about warranty and repair and some people really do consider dodging the tax to be immoral. Personally I'd far rather support a local business who are offering good old fashioned service at a great price.
I bought 35 lenses from Martin's Camera Shop in December. I found that their prices were consistently amongst the lowest available from any mainstream UK retailer. They were also generally similar to or lower than Kerso's too, for me, since I knew I'd be reclaiming the VAT.

(Slight digression: I need to ensure my business accounts are squeaky clean, since I will have the VAT inspectors crawling all over them when they see how much VAT I'm reclaiming! It would be entirely improper of me to suggest that there might be anything suspicious about the way Kerso manages to avoid VAT, and I'm sure he has good accountants on his side to advise him, but I can't for the life of me understand how it works and therefore I would rather play it cautious and not buy from him. Ian - if you're reading this, please feel free to drop me a PM and explain it. I've gt a lot more shopping to do.)

I was impressed with the level of customer service I received from Martin and his team. They didn't deliver my order by hand! - but they kept me informed of progress and they were very tolerant and patient in dealing with hiccups (like when their credit card processors simply refused to accept one of my credit cards, even after my bank had (repeatedly) authorised the transaction!)

If I had one quibble it is that Martin's Camera Shop doesn't seem to carry much stock, so it's difficult-to-impossible to get things from them quickly. But I've discussed that with Martin and I recognise that it's a fairly inevitable flip side of their low prices.

Certainy they are not very cheap on a d300 body. About £100 more than the cheapest price I've seen.

Certainy they are not very cheap on a d300 body. About £100 more than the cheapest price I've seen.

Horses for courses I suppose, some are saying they are delighted with the price and service, some will always go for the cheapest deal ?

I am about to buy a 1DMk3 I know the price I am paying is not the cheapest out there but I am buying local, I get fantastic customer service, great knowledge and I am also supporting my local economy if I read it right the OP was mearly saying that it was amongst the cheapest for the item he was buying and that he was also blown away by the customer service !

Just compared 3 items with my usual supplier and they are about 8% cheaper.

(Slight digression: I need to ensure my business accounts are squeaky clean, since I will have the VAT inspectors crawling all over them when they see how much VAT I'm reclaiming! It would be entirely improper of me to suggest that there might be anything suspicious about the way Kerso manages to avoid VAT, and I'm sure he has good accountants on his side to advise him, but I can't for the life of me understand how it works and therefore I would rather play it cautious and not buy from him.

I, too, am vat reg'd and have to be squeaky clean but this wouldn't stop me from buying from a (UK based) non-vat reg'd supplier. I don't understand how kerso does it either as he obviously must be well over the threshold but if anyone is going to fry then it's him and not his customers.

I've just checked them out and they are not the cheapest but I would include them in a shortlist when about to buy as "some" of their prices seem competitive.

For Nikon bodies they are actually one of the most exepnsive. £3325 for a D3 and £1098 for a D300.

Warehouse express and even those Robdogs Jessops are cheaper than that on both Bodies

Back