Does Flickr compress images?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I use Flickr like many others do, but today I've noticed that some pics I hosted from my photostream look pretty poor.

The images were from RAW's, pp'd in LR, then exported as TIFF's with 800 pixel longest length.

Here is an example,

hosted from Flickr:

2564089111_6f55368bfd_o.jpg

and the attached image direct from my HD.

For me, the colours look a little different, but more so, the Flickr hosted image looks noisy, if you look at the front wheel it looks grainy on the hosted image, but not on the other.

EDIT: Oops, realise that I can't attach images here, and as it's a TIFF I can't upload to my gallery either!!

Well, you'll just have to take my word for it, but the hosted image, and the one on my hard drive looks quite different!!

Well, I think I've just proved that it doesn't like TIFF's!

I uploaded two images, both the same, one exported as a TIFF the other as a JPEG.

Here is the TIFF:

2564907324_e3f0f28935_o.jpg

Here is the JPEG:

2564931629_15f6d56e1e_o.jpg

Can you see the difference? What is going on?

I noticed the very same problem recently (using both the flickr upload option, and flickr uploadr software). I have since given up and use the lightroom plugin for uploading ;)

I asked the question on the flickr forums and was told that tiff files are compressed to jpg by flickr, and at quite a high compression rate.

2mb tiff's that I uploaded were compressed to 80kb jpg's, as a comparison a 100% quality jpg from lightroom would be around 600kb in size.

I'll just stick to uploading jpg's from now on!!

I didnt know that flickr took tiffs to be honest. Have always just uploaded jpegs :| glad you got it sorted though.

It's not a compression image, but rather a colour space one. I think the default colour space for Lightroom is abobeRGB, whereas Flickr uses SRGB. All you need to do is change the colour space before you upload and your pics will retain the colours/saturation.

I do export in sRGB from Lightroom.

It's definately a tiff problem, Flickr converts it to a jpeg with no option on compression (so it uses a lot) unless you use the specific Uploadr where you can adjust setting, etc but I haven't tried that yet!

Nice RS. It is an RS isn't it?

Back