Help for first time DSLR buyer

I don't see why we are still debating, Slapo, you already stated that they are about the same price, the lenses are more expensive for Sony/Pentax, their range is not as big, we agree that the market for them are small.

The only justification you are giving that anyone would get a Pentax or Sony is that "He might not need more lenses in the future".

I am sorry, that's is not a reason to get a Pentax/Sony, that is a reason to get a Canon/Nikon.

Well, I just found out that I forgot to finish a sentence.

When I was looking at them recently, the K100D Super and A200 were either cheaper than similarly positioned Nikon/Canon bodies, it was the same if I counted a kit lens in.

That should have been:

Slapo said:
When I was looking at them recently, the K100D Super and A200 were either cheaper than similarly positioned Nikon/Canon bodies, it was that way if I counted a kit lens in, but the Sony/Pentax bodies offer more features at a similar (or lower) price.

Without that, what I wrote after that didn't have quite the meaning I wanted it to have.

To summarise my point, if you know you won't go pro and want lots of features for a relatively low price, then Pentax/Sony aren't that bad, not even Olympus.

If you know you'll have the money or you know you'll go pro, then go with Nikon or Canon so you can knock yourself out with the top gear they have. That I have already admitted.

Because you might not feel the restrictions if you don't go pro or nutty and get a bit better value for the money if you don't plan on investing too much.

This is all theoritical wishy washy stuff. Who are we talking about here? No-one.

Besides, using a DSLR the way you would use a superzoom (a. k. a. bridge camera) is possible and can be better - you can change the lenses if you need better quality/more speed, you get better ISO performance and you get to play with DOF more. That's not something to be overlooked either.

For £220 you can get the Canon S5 with 12x zoom. Can you get a dslr with 36-432mm zoom lens for £220? Brand new? I really doubt it, and if you could it would softer than carebears hugging puppies. So again, DSLR = Canon / Nikon. You can keep throwing points around or we can get back to the point of this thread. Will the 450D drop by £50 in 7 months? There is a chance. But if you buy it now you can get used to it and get photos with it now. £50 is £50. Today will be gone tomorrow.

To summarise my point, if you know you won't go pro and want lots of features for a relatively low price, then Pentax/Sony aren't that bad, not even Olympus.

If you know you'll have the money or you know you'll go pro, then go with Nikon or Canon so you can knock yourself out with the top gear they have. That I have already admitted.

I never said they are bad in a technical sense, i said as a system, they are not enough support.

As for not going to go pro, a lot of people here are not pro, yet they have lots of gear and they like to have lots of gear. Do you think everyone getting into photography thinks "MmmmmmmmmmmI, I'll spent £6k on that big telephoto next week", nobody knows, but the choice is there should you want it.

That choice is taken away from you if you get anything but Canon/Nikon.

This is all theoritical wishy washy stuff. Who are we talking about here? No-one.

You're kind of too sure there. I don't have any statistics at hand, but I'd bet there are quite a few people who buy DSLRs to get better quality yet don't want to go pro or too expensive.

For £220 you can get the Canon S5 with 12x zoom. Can you get a dslr with 36-432mm zoom lens for £220? Brand new? I really doubt it, and if you could it would softer than carebears hugging puppies.

Well, you have a point, getting a superzoom point and shoot camera fairly cheap, but if he wants to go for a DSLR, then he's probably willing to pay a little extra (the £50 he wants to save doesn't fit in well, but I've seen millionaires willing to argue to no end for pennies, so it's not that easy to tell) for better image quality in certain areas (which I have mentioned before).

You can keep throwing points around or we can get back to the point of this thread. Will the 450D drop by £50 in 7 months? There is a chance. But if you buy it now you can get used to it and get photos with it now. £50 is £50. Today will be gone tomorrow.

Good point. I think I got a 'bit' off topic, so I'll stop here.

To address a point raised in this thread - do I intend to go pro with this in the future? Probably not, but I do agree with Pete and Ray that I would be limiting myself if I bought anything outside of Canon (the way I'm leaning currently) or Nikon. I do know the photo bug can bite easily so I'd rather go for the more established equipment just in case I ever have the need/desire to go further with it :)

fair enough, so it's basically down to Canon / Nikon, and which style of controls you prefer.

Well, a minor thread resurrection here, as I've just ordered the 450D from Amazon, along with a bag (Lowepro Rezo 160) and a SDHC card. I've spent the last two weeks going over everything in my head and keeping a close eye on the prices, and although I'm sure it'll drop in price by January, I felt that the extra time I have with it will offset any price drop there is. I'm on holiday in Chester next week so hopefully I'll be posting some pics when I get back :)

Well done.

Look forward to seeing the pics

Back