1st shots (and crops) with new Sigma 120-400mm

Edit My Images
No
So my shiny new lens arrived this morning and 1st impressions were :eek: This is the biggest and heaviest lens I have had (and it really is quite heavy TBH)

Anyway without further ado and bearing in mind my previous posts showing the same 'sample' photo I took a couple of snaps at 300mm with a 100% crop (mainly so Andy can take a look ;) ) I will get round to some 400mm and shorter lengths a/when the weather brightens up and b/ when I have a few more mins spare!!!

300mm Full version here:

2829539369_012914616e.jpg

Link to full size: http://flickr.com/photos/nictry/2829539369/sizes/o/in/photostream/

300mm 100% crop (which I have to say I think it pretty damn good compared to my old Nikon 70-300 VR)

2829563833_4c2bb0c8db_o.jpg

Link to full size: http://flickr.com/photos/nictry/2829540037/sizes/o/

And as a 3 way comparison I have included below the same shots from a Nikon 70-300vr and Tamron 28-300IS

Here are some sample images:

300mm Tamron 28-30 Crop @ 100%

2757678212_e494760afa_o.jpg

300mm Nikon 70-300 crop @ 100%

2756845671_1f9564f0c2_o.jpg

Full version:

Tamron @ 300mm

2757675108_771f260282.jpg

Link to original: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nictry/2757675108/sizes/o/

Nikon @ 300mm

2757704770_0533135d3d.jpg

Link to original: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nictry/2757704770/sizes/o/

Looks better than both of the other two you tested!

Have just posted the Tamron and Nikon shots in the 1st post as a true 3 way comparison but I have to agree with you on 1st glance this looks pretty ok!

The 100% crop from the 120-400 seems smaller than the others, I wonder if the lens is "short" at 300mm?

The 100% crop from the 120-400 seems smaller than the others, I wonder if the lens is "short" at 300mm?

Or I have done something different? The crop for the Sigma is 559x373 the others were 761x552 is it just me doing something wrong in photoshop? Sorry I am being dim this morning I see what you mean now, the actual image not the 'size' of the picture :bonk:

Not sure, how would I test it?

I'm no expert, but the last one you posted looks more like camera shake, than softness, but i have been wrong before, were these on a tripodicus, or hand held?

JB

I'm no expert, but the last one you posted looks more like camera shake, than softness, but i have been wrong before, were these on a tripodicus, or hand held?

JB

You are prob spot on but with the OS on I have posted as a hand held for a true test, I do have to admit that with this lens holding it steady is tough so a mono/tripod would probably lose the camera shake!

Edit: Just posted a 400mm crop when picture taken mounted on the tripod and certainly a fair bit better TBH probably as good as the Nikon 70-300 was at 300 so shouldn't complain, just need to start body building so I can hand hold the lens when out and about :eek:

Not keen on that 400mm performance at all tbh :(

Although I'm not convinced there isn't a bit of shake?

Did you have O/S turned off for the tripod shot, did you use M-Up, cable release or a self-timer.

Not keen on that 400mm performance at all tbh :(

Although I'm not convinced there isn't a bit of shake?

Did you have O/S turned off for the tripod shot, did you use M-Up, cable release or a self-timer.

Prob still a bit of shake, only had a few mins so mounted the lens and took the shop manually so probably would have been better with a cable release but didn't have time to hunt it down!

Here is another quick 100% crop shot at 400mm (handheld with OS) that I took will try and have a proper play at the weekend but I don't think it is too bad and certainly at 300mm seems as good if not possibly a tad sharper than the 70-300?

2830535314_d8ae91fc38_o.jpg

The original shot at 400mm

2831226852_8fae552f10.jpg

Andy, you mentioned the lenth issue, is there a definitive way of testing to see just how far out it is?

The only way to really test this is to shoot with a prime.

Sigma lenses are usually a bit "short" - for example the 120-300 is really about 270mm, the 50-500 only about 460... 10% rounding is pretty common.

Their 18-50 is actually about 19-46mm.

The Nikkor 18-200 VR does this too, its only about 135mm apart from at infinity focus.

OK, as long as it is not a major problem! I am sure someone with better skills than me could put the lens through its paces better than me but as a user I am pretty pleased with the performance so far, I didn't expect fab 400mm shots and will probably only use this length once in a blue moon but wanted the option of the longer length, the key for me was to get something in the 150-300 range that would hit the IQ levels I used to have with the 70-300 and I think, from what I have seen, this lens does do that.

Once I have the chance to take some proper shots (ie not of a house and door plaque!!) I can judge better (and so can others if I get round to posting some of the pics :) )

Yeah, disable OS for sure. Looks quite good for the dosh though. thx for the pics, keep 'em coming... :)

If you're on a tripod, definitely enable mirror-lock-up and use a remote or self timer and you'll get a much sharper shot. Both those last two look like they have camera shake on them.

Try that and see if there's a difference.

If you're on a tripod, definitely enable mirror-lock-up and use a remote or self timer and you'll get a much sharper shot. Both those last two look like they have camera shake on them.

Try that and see if there's a difference.

I am sure there will be, the key for me was a quick test to see whether it was unusable for softness rather than whether I can handhold the beasty :LOL: Right now (and for most of the day) I think Noah is rebuiding his ark the amount of rain that has come down so any more tests will have to wait until there is some degree of cloud free sky and I will then check properly, gut feel though is that it is not a bad piece of kit and will certainly be an improvement over my previous kit with the added bonus of a little bit more reach, the one disadvantage I guess is always the f4-5.6 but until my lottery numbers come up this is the best I can do :crying:

it certainly hasnt put me off wanting one thats for sure!

Back