Lola - reflecting (white background warning!!!))

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

Thought this lass looked thoughtful and as she is reflecting I thought a corny title would suit! :D

As it is, just posted this for thoughts on the extensive PP done to create the reflection and the tidying up of the 'grey' areas all such images get as the white flooring isn't blown???

And just in case you're wondering, it's had NO PP done on it (other than a standard batch process for this sort of shot :LOL: so it's uncropped too) - the reflection and lack of grey is purely due to the new flooring; this has sped up PP work for client viewing & DVD by miles!!! (y)(y)(y)

And thanks TP for the idea, and Dellipher too for happening to work (part-time) somewhere we could buy it cheaply!!!

DD

Lola_refection.jpg

I don't know. For me the reflection isn't strong enough so the little girl looks odd at the top of the frame. I'm no good at this type of PP so I wouldn't know if it's possible, but if the reflection could be brought out more, it may work.

No worries DD. Just a bit confused by your OP saying extensive PP, then no PP :thinking:

I would imagine your client will be very pleased with this image :)

What sort of flooring is it, I have been looking at white faced hardboard but did not get the reflection I wanted?

I don't know what it's called as such but I believe it to be the laminate used in shower panels, and applied to a 2cm thick hardboard backing - so it's pretty heavy too and doesn't move around like paper, etc. backgrounds normally do

Hence, please in high heels can walk on it without damage too !!!

It comes in panels 8ft x4ft

DD

Yeah it is a shower panel, but dont ask me what one it is....I know it comes from Grant Westfield, manufactuer, which are based in Edinbrugh, and have a distribution office somewhere in wakefield...I think. :LOL:
they are 8ft x 4ft panels as dave said.
There are various types of this product - but some of them are very cheap and do not offer the stability, that these do.
They are suitable to walk on in high-heels etc....
However, I dont think Grant Westfield deals directly with the customer, I think you have to order it via a third party.

I really like this shot and would be very happy with it if I was the client :D

Tracy.

Love this.
May I ask how much it cost to order the flooring?

Does the background just blend in with white flooring as the join is OOF or do you have to pp at all?

Does the background just blend in with white flooring as the join is OOF or do you have to pp at all?

The background is still the roll of white paper, which is just tucked under the rear panel

Where they meet is simply obliterated by the light being 1 stop over exposed, so no PP has been done to this image other than my standard 'Studio' batch action which does all the...

sharpening (lab mode white channel), blur, glow, levels, contrast, saturation & border - all by itself

The panels were £90 each I think, which may seem a fair bit - but it equates to just 4 rolls of paper and should last much long and with less hassle

And I don't do high heels anymore, not since my accident in them!!! :D

DD

Brilliant shot and I think it's spot on! The reflections of this type always remind me of Apple!

Superb! I like that with the reflection. Only thing that puts me off a bit is the un balanced light between the foreground and the background.

Sorry Ally - I don't understand that comment???

Do you mean the white in front of her isn't the same white as above her???

Aside from the girl and her reflection, every other bit is 255,255,255 according to my CS3

:thinking::thinking::thinking:

DD

Regarding the price for these, I got them at cost price from work - and they were £155.00 for the two. So as you cannot get them directly from the manufactuer themselves, then hence why these will be more expensive, and probably wont find the exact same ones, with the g/tee etc, for the same price.

:LOL:

thats the refletion that i have been after for a while now...

trust you to sort it out..

really helps to ground the subject. instead of the floating problem some people have..

all noted down. thanks for sharing the info....

dave(y)

Rubbish, as usual Dave... phah!

:):)

Well I did say this was pretty much the 'straight from camera' version, only to show how the new flooring works :crying::crying::crying: Cruel people

If this keep on, I'll put up a processed one of the lass to prove I'm not rubbish :crying::crying::crying:

Honest I'm not !!!

:(

DD

This looks similar to the approach used by this guy. He seems to have paid a lot less for his reflective material

http://www.zarias.com/?p=71

Not similar at all m8

That's where we got the idea! Hence I 'thanked TP for the idea' as the link was posted on here but I couldn't remember the chap's name

'Tile board' as he calls it - 'No idea' B&Q said - so eventually found something similar in a bathroom fitter's

Even takes high heels with no problem

(y)

DD

Last edited:
'Tile board' as he calls it - 'No idea' B&Q said - so eventually found something similar in a bathroom fitter's
DD

I have to admit, any searches on MFI's Homebase and even the company referred to in the link, don't come up with anything when I type in tile board. Yet a studio I went, when I suggested I wanted something to create that reflection he straight away said, 'Get some tile board' Must be a photographers thing.

I didn't see your thread first time round, shutterman gave me the link when I said I was looking for tileboard. Must be really hard to find the right stuff.

Try a builders merchant like travis perkins (one with a bathroom showroom)

I used to sell loads of this stuff :)

Good old Mattyh - always there when I don't need him :LOL:

Where were you when I was :thinking::thinking::thinking: about getting this stuff??? Did you not feel the Nikonian psychic vibes I was emitting :shake:

DD

My Nikonsense was tingling... but I don't work there anymore, I sell aggregates now, so if you need any sand for a shoot, you know where I am (y)

Silly me - now then, can you do me 1,000 tonnes of coarse sand delivered???

I have an (ex) mate's house I'd like to photograph buried (searches for 'evil smiley')

DD

Yeah it is a shower panel, but dont ask me what one it is....I know it comes from Grant Westfield, manufactuer, which are based in Edinbrugh, and have a distribution office somewhere in wakefield...I think. :LOL:
they are 8ft x 4ft panels as dave said.
There are various types of this product - but some of them are very cheap and do not offer the stability, that these do.
They are suitable to walk on in high-heels etc....
However, I dont think Grant Westfield deals directly with the customer, I think you have to order it via a third party.

Sorry to dig out an old thread. Grant Westfield does indeed deal direct, they have a sales office, and will also deal via telephone and deliver.

I will be collecting some of this flooring shortly, and will report back!

Gary.

Back