Sun Up

Edit My Images
Yes
Ok well here goes.
This is my first try at a sunrise, also the first time I've got up at 4am in a very long time! BTW, note to self, pack torch in kit bag ;)
f18
1/4 sec
55mm on kit lens with cokin NDG
iso 100

SumriseatStMarys.jpg

Notes:
I know there is a bit of lens flair across the grass bank, will have to pay more attention to cleaning the lens and filters. In the original the foreground is very dark. I've used a masked copy that I increased the exposure by 2 stops on and layered it onto the original.
How can I balance this exposure in camera?
Ohh and can photos be referenced from the gallery here rather than photobucket?

Off to bed for a while :)

I don't think you'd ever have got that shot without the lens flare but you should with some patience be able to clone it out if you have halfway decent photo software.

The shot itself is very nice indeed, very well exposed.

How can I balance this exposure in camera?

The only way to do that is to use a graduated neutral density filter which increases the amount of exposure required for the sky till it matches that needed for the darker foreground. Alternatively take one exposure for the sky and another for the foreground and then combine the two shots in editing. It's virtually impossible to guarantee no lens flare when shooting into the light, particularly when you're shooting right at the sun like that. Flare isn't always undesirable or objectionable, but in this instance it doesn't add anything to the shot and is a bit unfortunate, but them's the breaks sometimes. ;)

Ohh and can photos be referenced from the gallery here rather than photobucket?
Absolutely. If you have a Gallery album set up you can show pics in threads straight from gallery using the

I like this shot - it has a nice tranquil feel to it :) the colours are nice and muted and not in-yer-face. The lens flare does detract from the shot a little, as does whatever is going on with sun (?flare??). These minor irritations aside though, it is a good shot and well worth getting up for (y)

The flare is pretty easy to deal with actually and the shot is well worth the effort. :)

SumriseatStMarys.jpg

Draw a freehand mask around the flared area then feather it by around 20 pixels. Using the RGB slider, reduce the red until you get a nice green. Don't overdo it or you'll tend towards blue. The feathering will leave residues of red tinge. Just repeat the process with smaller freehand masks on the red areas until you've got rid of all the red.

As Cheryl said... worth getting up for. (y)

Ohh thats excellent :clap:

I'll work on that one tomorrow. Learn a little every day :)

Back