2009 Photo 52 - Join Us

SimonTALM

Linford Christie
Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Want to improve your photography but don't fancy doing or can't do a photo-a-day or a photo-every-other-day, how about a photo a week? In this challenge the idea is to improve your photography by taking a photo a week to a specific theme.

These are the rules I will be working to (the rules you follow is up to you so if you wish you can add or remove any as you see fit, the idea is to taking more shots and improve):

1) Must be a fresh photo every week - i.e. you go out and specifically take the shot that week.
2) Images will be taken to a theme picked at random from the list,
3) Week runs Monday - Sunday,
4) The theme will be decided in advance and posted prior to the start of the week (usually on a Saturday / Sunday)
5) The theme will be posted as a new thread each week in the Inspiration, Themes and Challenges section of the forums, it will appear in my signature and will be emailed to those actively participating (i.e. those who have asked to be sent an email)
6) Each participant should start their own Photo 52 thread in the 365 / 52 Subforum of the General Photo Sharing section of the site (to avoid 1 mega thread)
7) No photo included in the Photo 52 will be entered into the TPF Monthly Competitions.
8) Week 1 will be 5th Jan - 11th Jan

If you want to take part you can join in at any time, just start taking photos. If you want to be sent the theme each week in your email just PM me your email address.

Week 13 (30th Mar - 5th April) theme was Up
Week 12 (23rd - 29th Mar) theme was Poverty
Week 11 (16th -22nd Mar) theme was Relationships
Week 10 (9th - 15 Mar) theme was Wisdom
Week 09 (2nd - 8th Mar) themes were RESHOOT & Identity
Week 08 (23rd Feb - 1st Mar) theme was Wealth
Week 07 (16th - 22nd Feb) theme was Crowds
Week 06 (9th - 15th Feb) theme was Special
Week 05 (2nd - 8th Feb) theme was Opposites
Week 04 (26th Jan - 1st Feb) theme was Surprise
Week 03 (19th - 25th Jan) theme was Learning
Week 02 (12th - 18th Jan) theme was History
Week 01 (5th - 11th Jan) theme was: Reflection

EDIT - RESHOOT Cards
After Week 06 a number of (5) RESHOOT cards were added to the bag to give the opportunity to go back and RESHOOT a one of the previous themes to demonstrate how far you are progressing. However, as not everyone may want to go back and RESHOOT it was decided that if a RESHOOT card is pulled from the bag another theme is drawn from the bag. In the event of a RESHOOT week those taking part have 3 options.
a) Pick a theme from the previous weeks and go and RESHOOT it to demonstrate their progression (Posting 1 new photo)
b) Use the theme on the second card and continue as normal (Posting 1 new photo)
c) RESHOOT a previous theme to show progression and use the theme on the second card (Posting 2 new photos)
To ensure that there is a gap between RESHOOT cards once one has been drawn another cannot be drawn for a month

Original(ish) Post
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Call me a wimp if you like but I know that I won't have to time (or inclination) to do a 365 in 2009. However, I can see that those that have done their 365 this year have improved and I want some of that. So I thought about what I could do to get out more and take more photos and would be more achievable. So I thought that the next logical step down would be a photo every week.

[my original "rules" were posted here]

OK now the self indulgent bit is over, I need your help with some themes to run with.

Here's a few I may start with

New Starts,
Fun,
Relaxation,
Frosty,
Relationships,
Honesty,
Games,
China,
Smell,
Serenity,

music, pain, technology, money, doom & gloom, longing, family.

Just a few off the top of my head.

Sounds like a good project (y)

2) Images will be taken to a theme / topic / subject,
3) The topic will be decided in advance and posted prior to the start of the week,
That doesn't sound particularly challenging - unless of course it's somebody else who decides on the topic. Otherwise it's a sort of "hmm, what do I feel like photographng this week?"

If you really want to stretch yourself, pick one theme (as Marcel has done) and see how many variations on it you can make.

That doesn't sound particularly challenging - unless of course it's somebody else who decides on the topic. Otherwise it's a sort of "hmm, what do I feel like photographng this week?"

If you really want to stretch yourself, pick one theme (as Marcel has done) and see how many variations on it you can make.

You've a good point there, I'd rather not pick one theme as I get bored easily and like variety. I think I may use the old pick one out the hat technique.

Cheers.

Gadgetman, thanks :thinking: for your suggestion

macmike, good ones there, I think they'll be going in the hat

Call me a wimp if you like but I know that I won't have to time (or inclination) to do a 365 in 2009. However, I can see that those that have done their 365 this year have improved and I want some of that. So I thought about what I could do to get out more and take more photos and would be more achievable. So I thought that the next logical step down would be a photo every week.

So with the aim of improving my photography these are the rules I'm setting myself:

1) Must be a fresh photo every week.
2) Images will be taken to a theme / topic / subject,
3) The topic will be decided in advance and posted prior to the start of the week,
4) Week runs Monday - Sunday,
5) No photo included in the Photo 52 will be entered into the TPF Monthly Competitions.
6) Week 1 will be 5th Jan - 11th Jan

OK now the self indulgent bit is over, I need your help with some themes to run with.

Here's a few I may start with

New Starts,
Fun,
Relaxation,
Frosty,
Relationships,
Honesty,
Games,
China,
Smell,
Serenity,

I may well join you on this. I don't have the time (or motivation to do a 365) but was thinking about doing a weekly piccie. This seems like a great idea :D

Nice one, I wish you well.

You can join me in the topics too if you like, as StewartR says it's a bit more challenging when you don't know what the topics will be. It was quite exciting when I pulled the first theme out of the hat. If you are joining me in the theme of the week I'll list them all out when I get home so you have the same info as I do.

p.s. I'm still in need of a few more themes to have one in the bag for each week - I've 23 left in the bag so need another 28 themes to complete the options for the year, but I'd like at least another 38 so at the end of the year there is still a suprise and challenge factor.

Yes please :D Thanks (y)

Have you got pride, passion, erm, pm me the list and I'll see if we can think of any to add

Cool, I wonder if any one else wants to join us on our challenge??

I don't think I have Pride or Passion yet

Rather than PMing it to you I'll create a page on my website in a few minutes and post the link to that page here, so that others can see and I can update as required.

(y) Count me in then.......

Cheers - will get husband and mine's thinking caps on and try and get some more

that sounds a real cool idea (y) i,m in. are we all following your lead on the weekly topics then?

oooo this might be just the kick up the jacksy that I need... I think you need to count me in on this if you dont mind....

errr couple of ideas to throw into the hat if you dont already have them? inspiration, consolation, respect, errr head starting to hurt now... communication, commemoration and learning.... bit deep but could be taken in many ways... :thinking: ta

Wow, set a challenge and watch 'em bite...

For those that have joined up - remember the theme for this week is Reflection

that sounds a real cool idea (y) i,m in. are we all following your lead on the weekly topics then?

That's the idea, they are randomly drawn and we all know what's in the bag, feel free to suggest some themes.

I'm up for this, are we gonna post em on here ?

Nice one, I suggest we all start our own Photo 52 thread in the General Photo Sharing forum. I think 1 big mega thread would be a bit much. Can I suggest you get a FlickR or PhotoBucket account (if you don't already have one) and creat your own set too, you can put a link in your Sig then.

oooo this might be just the kick up the jacksy that I need... I think you need to count me in on this if you dont mind....

errr couple of ideas to throw into the hat if you dont already have them? inspiration, consolation, respect, errr head starting to hurt now... communication, commemoration and learning.... bit deep but could be taken in many ways... :thinking: ta

Do I mind? Of course not - welcome aboard (y) I've added some of the wider topics to the list (Communication, Learning, Respect, and Inspiration)

I think I mite be up for this one too!!!

mite??? How about being a bit more confident del ;) There are only 52 photos to take should be easy for a woman of your talents :D.

Probably up for this too. ;)

Probably??? go on - I dare you

Pick a colour, any colour

How about Yellow?

Or love, hate, anger (or just emotion)

Nice suggestions, Colour, Mono and Emotion are about to be added to the list. Are you joining us too??​

So is anyone else going to join us??

Count me in too! Just have to put my thinking cap on now. Reflections in the desert...

This is a great idea - I'm going to give it a go...

Will topics always be announced on here, or will you PM/email us in case we forget to check?

Some more topics perhaps:

'Evolution?'
'Low Down'
'Curved'
'Linear'
'Highlight'
'Out of context'

I'd love to join in but what happens if you miss a week or so?

You get tortured and abused, banned from the internet and socially shunned by everyone...

or you can just pick it up at the next one;)

Sounds good :) I might join in :)

Some ideas:

Isolation, Crowds, Opposites, Texture, Together, Friendship,

am up for this :)

can i suggest that we have the out of the hat topic given to us on monday and you have until sunday midnight to post your picture. we could have a new thread each week starting with the topic that we can add our pics into and then at the end of the year we can each do a thread with all our pics?

topics

bubbles
food
water
people

Edit how about a week where you take a picture of anything but it has to be B&W?

I was thinking of doing something like this anyway, I may well join you

I'd be up for this, it will give me the boot i need to get out with the camera!

How will we be notified (PM?) as i'm bound to forget otherwise. I also assume we are posting the results in this thread??!

Reflections it is then..........

I'll have a go, 'bout time I did something. :)

wow, there seems to be a lot of interest at the moment

I'd love to join in but what happens if you miss a week or so?

It's entirely up to you; you can either catch up or just skip the ones you miss. I originally set this as a challenge for myself to get out more and take some shots to improve my photography.

This is a great idea - I'm going to give it a go...

Will topics always be announced on here, or will you PM/email us in case we forget to check?

Some more topics perhaps:

'Evolution?'
'Low Down'
'Curved'
'Linear'
'Highlight'
'Out of context'

Great to have you onboard, and thanks for the themes, I'll add them to the list later

I will PM everyone who is listed in the first thread each week and I will Start a new thread in the Talk Photography section of the site (unless mods have a better suggestion - the other one might be the Inspiration, Themes and Challenges section I suppose)

Count me in too! Just have to put my thinking cap on now. Reflections in the desert...

That's the spirit, p.s. mirrages are reflections aren't they :thinking:

Any chance I can join in with this? Sounds fun!

And a whole lot easier than a 365

Of course you can :)

Flattery Simon will get you anywhere

So....lets re go over the rules, when has the images roughly got to be done/posted by?!

Thanks!

I know ;) The "rules" are more guidelines really, I will be posting my image by the end of the week the theme is set for in to my own Photo 52 thread in the General Photo Sharing section. When you do yours is up to you, but I would imagine the sooner you post it the better.

I know you are ready but are you willing?

Sounds good I might join in

Some ideas:

Isolation, Crowds, Opposites, Texture, Together, Friendship,

Decisive aren't you :p, come one join us (you know you want to)

P.S. Nice themes btw , they'll be added later.

Great idea !

I'm in

Excellent :D You know the first week's (i.e. this week) theme is Reflection

am up for this

can i suggest that we have the out of the hat topic given to us on monday and you have until sunday midnight to post your picture. we could have a new thread each week starting with the topic that we can add our pics into and then at the end of the year we can each do a thread with all our pics?

topics

bubbles
food
water
people

Edit how about a week where you take a picture of anything but it has to be B&W?

Glad you're joining us, and I'll add the themes to the list later.

I'll PM everyone the new themes over the weekend before the week starts (usually Sunday) and I will announce it in a new thread each week allow discussion to take place.

I'll be posting my photos each week to my own Photo 52 thread in the General Photo Sharing section, and I would encorage eveyone else to have their own thread too. However, if you want to save all the photos to the end of the year that's up to you.

How you approach the theme is up to you but "Mono" is definately on the list

Just the inspiration I need to get my enthusiasm back for photography.

Count me in.

Excellent news.

I was thinking of doing something like this anyway, I may well join you

another indecisive one ;) are you with us :LOL:

I'd be up for this, it will give me the boot i need to get out with the camera!

How will we be notified (PM?) as i'm bound to forget otherwise. I also assume we are posting the results in this thread??!

Reflections it is then..........

Great to have you on our side

I will PM the themes but I'll also create a new post too.

I think if everony posts in one big thread it will cause a confusing mega thread that will be scary by May let alone end of December. I would suggest you start your own "My Photo 52" thread in the General Photo Sharing section and post there

I'll have a go, 'bout time I did something.

Yep it is :p

That sounds fun. Where will the themes be anounced?

I'll post the new themes each week in a new thread (to allow discussion) and I'll PM those actively taking part.

is there another post in which to post this weeks photo?

If you have this week's photo already, I suggest you start a new "My Photo 52" thread in the General Photo Sharing section of the forum.

I'll play - I had already made a "52 Weeks of 2009" folder on my computer and it will be a lot more challanging if someone else is naming the theme (y)

Back