Help - 400D 'dead'

Edit My Images
No
I've had a 400D for about 2 years or so now. It's been fine.

Today, after using it this morning, I went to use it and it wouldn't switch on. Knowing the battery was low, I didn't think much of it, came home, charged the battery and put it in.

Nothing happened.

Now, I've charged both that battery and the spare, plugged it in using the USB and absolutely nothing. Dead as a dodo. :(

What can I do? A quick google shows a few others having problems, but I wondered if anyone else here had experienced similar?

TIA.
Kitten

When you put the battery into the camera, does the red LED flash momentarily?

That's not good. Have you tried turning it on with and without the memory card? Also, try using a different battery pack if you have one.

have tried two different battery packs, both charged (They work in friends cam) and with/without 2 different memory cards. Absolutely nothing, no response at all. Was working perfectly well this morning, packed away, didn't get bumped or anything, then just won't work :/

I'm really hoping it's nothing serious, but I think it probably is :(

Question: I've just noticed that of the three metal strips that the battery sits on, the two on the side have resistance and the one in the middle pushes down and is a bit flimsy. Not sure if this has always been like this as I've never done if before. Can anyone have a (gentle :p) poke at their own 400D and see if they are all of the same resistance or if that is normal?

Thanks for your help by the way :)

I'm not sure what else to say. It's not been in the damp or anything like that has it? Functioning perfectly well before today? Sounds like there could be a short circuit or something.

have you tried a different lens on it

I've tried 3, nothing happens with/without lens/memory card etc.

It's been out with me today and its been cold, but I'm not sure if that would cause it? I'm sure it's been colder in the past.

@KayJay - no problems with it at all before this.

I've emailed our nearest Canon service centre, hopefully they'll come back with a fix or a non-too expensive quote for checking it out :/

Same thing happened to my sons 350d. Got quoted £130 to repair. It just wasn't worth it.
I did do some research and found out that there is a small fuse, on one of the circuit boards that is prone to blowing.

The connector strip in the middle has less resistance on my 400D also. I think that is normal.

Same thing happened to my sons 350d. Got quoted £130 to repair. It just wasn't worth it.
I did do some research and found out that there is a small fuse, on one of the circuit boards that is prone to blowing.

Did someone not post a link about this the other day, with instructions how to replace the fuse??? something about spain rings a bell about the post?????

So what did you do? Spent £500 on a new camera?? :shrug:

thanks for this again guys, really appreciate the help. Pretty gutted right now. Day 8 of my first 365, madly in love with my new nifty that I got for my birthday (Christmas Eve) and the bugger dies on me :p

So what did you do? Spent £500 on a new camera?? :shrug:

Well if your camera breaks it's always a good time to upgrade given that second hand prices would probably be around the same as a repair bill. I guess if you love the camera you have enough then you'd get it repaired.

I do love it :( Be worried I'll get the same thing again whatever I spend on it/a new one.

I'll have to see what happens. Thanks again.

Does the 400D have a clock battery ? if so it may be worth taking that out as well :)

Excellent, might have to start eyeballing the bay, just in case!

We've taken the clock battery out but put it back in again. Will leave it out overnight. Ta :)

I do love it :( Be worried I'll get the same thing again whatever I spend on it/a new one.

I'll have to see what happens. Thanks again.

Check the internal battery, that'll be a bit fidgety but if it's out of warranty...

Also, I've just taken my 400D off the for sale section, but if you really want another one let me know... if all else fails. Hope you get it sorted though, it's a good camera.

The 400D has a small micro-switch behind the door of the CF card compartment....if this switch doesn't make or has failed then the power is disabled. It may be worth locating the switch actuator and manually holding it in when switching on...if this is the problem then the fix is quite cheap.

Bob

Could possibly be the fuse as several suggest, almost certainly something shorted on the printed circuit board or defective on/off switch.

Hope it isn't something major and can be repaired economically by Canon :clap:

Did someone not post a link about this the other day, with instructions how to replace the fuse??? something about spain rings a bell about the post?????

anyone know which post sturs is referring to? *goes off to search*

Thanks Gerods x

That must be the mention of Spain that rang a bell!

Does make me wonder why the fuse blew, but I do a lot of soldering so if this is something you want me to try and take a look at then drop me a PM.

Mark

Just reading that, it mentions a faulty CF card. We've just bought a brand new memory card but that wasn't the one that was in it at the time (swapped it over that morning). However, one thing I have done differently is that for the last 2 days I've used the cable to take my pics off rather than the card reader. I wonder if that could be anything to do with it. Seems unlikely, but I work in IT and sometimes it's the most random things that cause a problem!

I'll have a read and sleep on it.

Thanks for the offer of help Mark, aren't you guys nice? :)

I posted the same thing the other day, my 300D just gave up on me.
Tried every combo of lens, battery, CF card, no card, no lens............but nothing. I have since given up on it as dead and have ebay'ed it as spare/repair (good excuse for an upgrade). I would consider repairing it, but to be honest I would have to get someone else to do it and I think it would just no be cost effective.

Anyway this was my post with the link to the fuse change info: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=102810

That article just goes to show just how much we get ripped off for "labour" cost in electical items.

A 5 minute job and a 20p fuse somehow coming to £130...

Today, after using it this morning, I went to use it and it wouldn't switch on. Knowing the battery was low, I didn't think much of it, came home, charged the battery and put it in.
Nothing happened.
Now, I've charged both that battery and the spare, plugged it in using the USB and absolutely nothing. Dead as a dodo.

Yup - same thing happened to me yesterday with the 350D. No spark of life, charged batteries. No help. I removed the battery grip and put it onto the 400D, and that is fine.
I've changed lenses, tried a plethora of batteries in case one had totally died.

I am about to contact Colchester which is my nearest Canon Service Centre.

not yet, I sent it off to the nearest canon repair centre for a free quote. Will let you know what happens when they come back to me :)

***Edit, i think my browser is playing up! last post i seen was actually yesterday! lol *** anyway good luck.

Id say its more than likely the fuse also.

They are fidgety but not that difficult to replace (I done 2, 300d's)

If you do attempt it make sure to remove all batteries and not re-insert them until its back together again. The on/off switch is only a software switch there is always a small amount of current flowing.

Oh and dont touch the flash capacitor!!!

Back