My 1st Batch of Gimp'd Photos

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
these are my first attempts at GIMP editing. I would be greatful for anyone's coments and ideas of what they'd have done instead, etc.

cheers!

1 - Before
1before.jpg

1 - After
1after.jpg

2 - Before
2before.jpg

2 - After
2after.jpg

3 - Before
5before.jpg

3 - After
5after.jpg

4 - Before
4before.jpg

4 - After
4after.jpg

To be perfectly honest, the edited images do nothing for me, to the point of saying they're ruined. I really like the first (non PP) image, great colours, sharp and clean. Perhaps we can go overboard with PP?

Just my opinion, Gary

I'd look at getting rid of the flag on the first one in the light blue sky, shows up too much in the after one.

Don't like 2

Like 3 and 4

And the obvious, what were you playing with for each image (filters etc)

Cheers,
Carl.

Right, here are my views......

The first two... I really like the first image (although if could do with some brightness/contrast stuff to make it really stand out), and I don't even mind the light you've added from the headlamps in the second, but I don't think the blurred background really works. Were you trying to make it look like it was moving, or out of focus? Because the foreground is still sharp and in focus, it just confuses me a little!

The second pair I'm not so keen on, there's just a bit too much contrast, and the result is a bit dark and the guy's face looks odd! What you could have done is used a much lower shutter speed (maybe 1/100 rather than 1/500), and done some panning, which would keep the car sharp, but blur out the background. The high shutter speed also froze the wheels, so it doesn't quite capture the feeling of movement.

I like what you've done to the third pair. You've made a slightly dull, flat image really stand out. It might be a bit over-done for some people's tastes, but I quite like it.

The only thing that bothers me about the last one is the halo-ing type thing going on around the back of the car... I'm not sure why it's there, did you select it and process the car differently to the surroundings? These are all just my views though, and I'm only a beginner too!

Chris

I like the images, personally I'd be tempted to add a little warmth, but it's just personaly taste.
How easy did you find Gimp to use? I'm courious, I have always been a photoshop user, but I keep hearing good things about Gimp, and thats not to mention the price difference! Photoshop £472, Gimp free!
Wayne

I really like the after in number 1. I think that is very well done(y)(y)

As for the others, I feel you have got carried away and gone too far with the PP. That said the only way to find out what works is to do it and see what you/others (less imoportant) like. So, full marks from me for effort(y)if not all the results.

Thanks for all the comments guys!

the overwhelming feeling is that i've probably gone a bit OTT with the PP'ing, and looking back at some of them i see what you mean. I think i was just trying to get used to the different functions in GIMP.

The first two... I really like the first image (although if could do with some brightness/contrast stuff to make it really stand out), and I don't even mind the light you've added from the headlamps in the second, but I don't think the blurred background really works. Were you trying to make it look like it was moving, or out of focus? Because the foreground is still sharp and in focus, it just confuses me a little!

The second pair I'm not so keen on, there's just a bit too much contrast, and the result is a bit dark and the guy's face looks odd! What you could have done is used a much lower shutter speed (maybe 1/100 rather than 1/500), and done some panning, which would keep the car sharp, but blur out the background. The high shutter speed also froze the wheels, so it doesn't quite capture the feeling of movement.

yeah, i'd selected just the area behind the car, past the gravel and put a motion blur in, and altered the contrast a bit. I was going to do the same on the gravel, and just leave the car in focus, but thought it mite look a little more funky if i left it as it was. It was deliberate, but your probably right, I should have applied it there too. the wheels could have done with some PP (I missed that! :LOL:).

The only thing that bothers me about the last one is the halo-ing type thing going on around the back of the car... I'm not sure why it's there, did you select it and process the car differently to the surroundings? These are all just my views though, and I'm only a beginner too!

Yeah, I selected an area tight around the car, and then changed the contrast/brightness independantly from the background to make it stand out a bit more as i felt it was too light. I then switched to the background and added a little more motion blur. perhaps too much. that's what's caused the halo'ing effect I believe. :shrug:

not bad from a free program i must say.

Cheers! I was my first few attempts, so I was fairly happy with them too, but I do agree that some of them are a bit over-done.
Just wanted to see what the program would do, and play around with several different effects. thanks. (y)

I like the images, personally I'd be tempted to add a little warmth, but it's just personaly taste.
How easy did you find Gimp to use? I'm courious, I have always been a photoshop user, but I keep hearing good things about Gimp, and thats not to mention the price difference! Photoshop £472, Gimp free!
Wayne

Thanks for the comments, I agree :) I found GIMP very easy to use actually. I just played around with it for a couple of hours and taught myself a few things.
I imagine there are a lot more features that I still don't know how to use. and i'm yet to learn how to work with layers and masks. but there's plenty of time.

The only Photoshop i've used is a very old copy of Elements, and although I liked it, there are still more features in the free copy of GIMP. I'd certainly recommend it! maybe to compliment PS if you already have it? I suppose you can always uninstall it if there are no features of use to you? I think if I had £472, i'd buy myself a couple of new lenses and keep the change instead ;)

I really like the after in number 1. I think that is very well done

As for the others, I feel you have got carried away and gone too far with the PP. That said the only way to find out what works is to do it and see what you/others (less imoportant) like. So, full marks from me for effortif not all the results.

Thanks :) I wasn't expecting anything amazing as it was my first attempt, and the day that the shots were taken was my first ever venture outdoors with an SLR also.

Cheers for the C&C everyone! much appriciated. :clap:

I'm all for image manipulation and you have done a fair job seeing as it's a new programme for you.

Check out Gimp tutorials and also photoshop tutorials (once you are used to Gimp!) as they will have the same basic functions. You will find you will spend hours and hours trying stuff out, it's a great way to spend your spare time. (y)

Here are a couple of my edits!

This one is my father in law. 1st thing was to make the image B&W, then cut him & the chair out, motion blur the background and re colour in the rest. Bit weird but i like it.
Len copy.jpg

I found a website where this person swapped the heads of grandparents holding babies. It was SO funny so i had a quick go with this image:
weird_couple.jpg

hmm..... slightly disturbing. :LOL:

I'm planning on having a play with Photoshop soon and see how it compares. :thinking:

Back