Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L or Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm hopefully going to get a new bit of glass soon but I can't make my mind up between the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L and the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM.

Does anyone have (or has had) both of these lenses? if so how do they compare ?

24-70mm f/2.8 L

Used this lens this weekend, without a doubt the nicest lens i've EVER used.

I agree with Jonny the 24-70L is probably the best lens I have ever oned.Little heavy but dont let that scare you.

Rather than blindly recommend one over the other, it would be helpful to know what you plan to use it for.

The extra stop is useful in low light indoor photography on the 24-70, or if you do more outdoor photography the IS and extra reach of the 24-105 may suit you better. Both extremely good lenses though.

It is mainly as a walkabout lens, as a replacement for my 28-105, so I first thought the 24-105 would be ideal but having seen reviews and images from the 24-70 I couldn't decide, I liked the idea of the extra f-stop but I also like the idea of IS and the extra reach :) I wish I could combine the two.

I think I'm edging towards the 24-105, my friend has just got one and I'm going to have a play with it tomorrow night.

I got the 24-70 and it's really good, sharp, light and fast.

Not got the Canon 28-105 but got the Sigma 28-105 f2.8-4 and am selling it because I went "L" .....

Carl.

I had the same choice and decided upon the 24-70, as neonpollen has said though its all down to application, ive got a 580ex flash, my main uses are car shows and closeup motorsport stuff, I decided that even though IS is a god send on telephoto lenses, for my type of shooting I would prefer the DOF of F2.8 and could use the flash to enable fast enough shutter speeds not to need IS.

Last night I had chance to try out an EF 24-105 and I must admit I liked it a lot, so much so I've ordered one from Kerso, oh and a EF100 F2.8 Macro as well :)

Back