LLamas in Rivington

Edit My Images
Yes
Went for a bike ride around Rivington and saw my first LLamas of the year. I believe they are quite protective of their area so make excellent guards for the sheep, though was suprised to see two in a field together. Neither seemed bothered by me and the light coloured one was quite happy to be stroked. Must remember some polo mints next time.

Sheltering from the rain with the sheep.
dark_llama_and_sheep.jpg

This one wasnt bothered by me in the slightest and was happy to be stroked.
llama_and_friends.jpg

Heard a car approaching and pricked up its ears.
llama_head_ears_up.jpg

Damned fence got in way - LLama wasnt for backing up, no matter how nice i asked.
llama_head.jpg

This one just lied there and wasnt for joining its pal.
dark_llama.jpg

I have heard they are very protective and the one lying down looks none too friendly...

The are supposedly very effective against foxes at lambing time and dogs at all times, but how they react to humans in the field, I don't know...They are also supposed to spit, so i'd be carefull of those close ups!

As long as they are used to being handled and have a decent temperment (most I"ve known do) you should be fine. Just don't make threatening moves basically treat them like a spitting horse! Really we used to use them in our horse breeding program to keep the stallions company since we obviously couldn't keep them with other horses.

Renee

I knew about the spitting. The light coloured LLama was initially lying down, but jumped up when i approached and stayed close to the fence. I just held my hand out and it allowed me to stroke it. Given that i was at the side of a road, by a secondary school i expect both LLamas were pretty happy around humans, even school kids! Wonder how many crisps and mars bars they have been fed this week?

Ive also read in the local paper than someone is running LLama trekking days around Rivington, but i havent seen this yet. I normally see a LLama in one field around lambing season which backs up Pete's comments, but not this year.

Still, was a good opportunity today and Im glad that the light coloured LLama didnt adopt the traits of a certain BWFC football player!!

Back