American Football BritBowl finals. Sat 24/9/2006.

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. Evening kick off here. Covering for BAFA, Bristol Newspapers and BBC online!!!!

All shot on my full frame 5D/300mm prime combo @ 2.8, ISO 1600, many in 3200. Shutter speeds around 400 - 1000 max. Absolutely no flash. Whilst its not a sports camera you can make it work at 3 frames but the ISO is amazing. Working with couple of DXs owners, who were on the last train to noise central! A tough game to meter as the black kits made life tricky.

Got what I needed in the end though. The game? Well, Coventry Jets hammered the Bristol Aztecs 52 - 20.

Enjoy...

Peter_Tiley_UNiCOM_BritBowl200611.jpg

Peter_Tiley_UNiCOM_BritBowl200612.jpg

Peter_Tiley_UNiCOM_BritBowl200613.jpg

Peter_Tiley_UNiCOM_BritBowl200614.jpg

Peter_Tiley_UNiCOM_BritBowl20061.jpg

Peter_Tiley_UNiCOM_BritBowl200610.jpg

IMG_9515-1.jpg

Peter_Tiley_UNiCOM_BritBowl200615.jpg

Peter_Tiley_UNiCOM_BritBowl200616.jpg

Peter_Tiley_UNiCOM_BritBowl20062.jpg

Great set! By the amount of people in the stands I take it that American Football is not much of a spectator sport around these parts! Is it mostly played by people who couldn't get into the NFL or is there really a following over here?

Really nice photos there Diego, amazing quality for ISO1600 or 3200. Why didnt you use a flash though? wouldnt it have helped reduce the ISO, having not shot at any events like this I dont know if your not allowed to use flashes as they may be a distraction.

Wow! The noise handling capabilities are amazing, I'm really starting to notice the noise issues on the D200, anything of ISO 1000 or over I might as well forget using. Good shots as well Diego btw!

Really nice photos there Diego, amazing quality for ISO1600 or 3200. Why didnt you use a flash though? wouldnt it have helped reduce the ISO, having not shot at any events like this I dont know if your not allowed to use flashes as they may be a distraction.

Flash is a big no no :nono:

Shame as it would help.

Wow! The noise handling capabilities are amazing, I'm really starting to notice the noise issues on the D200, anything of ISO 1000 or over I might as well forget using. Good shots as well Diego btw!

Well, I can honestly say that the 5D is the best camera on the market right now. Stunning image quality, 12.8mp, and ISO to die for. Amazing to think these were shot in the custom 3200 mode. :eek: (y)

Thanks for your compliments.

Great set! By the amount of people in the stands I take it that American Football is not much of a spectator sport around these parts! Is it mostly played by people who couldn't get into the NFL or is there really a following over here?

Is a minority sport. However, is getting popular again but will never be as big as it was here in the 1980's/early 90's which is a shame as its a great game (y)

Is a minority sport. However, is getting popular again but will never be as big as it was here in the 1980's/early 90's which is a shame as its a great game (y)

How true, I had friends that Played for Huddersfield, some 10 years ago, it's all gone quietish now which is a shame.

Your photos brought back good memories, and reminds me of when I took plenty of 35mm film photos at some of their Games.

They are good pictures especially as they look to be taken under Flood lights.

Gaz

nice set diego, i must say i am not a people photo person, i usually find them quite boring, but after seeing so many of your sets, and individual ones, i really like them now.
what lens did you use for the photo's..

nice set diego, i must say i am not a people photo person, i usually find them quite boring, but after seeing so many of your sets, and individual ones, i really like them now.
what lens did you use for the photo's..

Thanks a lot. The key to sports is looking at the bigger picture, the faces, the dynamic action etc though a few of these were static given the floodlights and the speeds available.

These were all shot with my new 300mm 2.8 Sigma and I am over the moon with it.

Diego. (y)

Nice set of shots , love the "human side" shown in the foot shot (perfect DOF by the way :))

Back