nightmares 2 - prize draw now closed - winner announced!

Name
sue
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I previously asked for opinions on whether to submit a nightmares sequence of photos to my camera club "three of a kind" competition. The result was a resounding yes, if only to scare the retireds.

Well, I'm back, with more images, and stuck on which to pick to submit before wednesday! I'm torn as to whether the main front facial types are too samey - but not sure too much variety works. So here's a whole bunch - I'd really appreciate any thoughts on which you like best, which work as a set, which you don't like etc.

As an added incentive for feedback, I will send a prize of a world war two gas mask - with interesting perished rubber texture and real smell to one of the commentors - chosen at random by some process involving my cat! I can say gas masks make great photo projects, though helps to practice holding your breathe before putting them on!

#1 prize gas mask
edit-masks-WWII-2009_02_07-7371-40D_Dewey-Masks_copy.jpg

edit-masks-pity-2009_02_06-7241-40D_Dewey-Masks_copy.jpg

#3 can't look
edit-masks-face-2009_02_06-7345-40D_Dewey-Masks_copy.jpg

#4 germ warfare
edit-masks-germ_mask_3by2-2009_02_06-7220-40D_Dewey-Masks.jpg

#5 look angry (and take glasses off next time)
edit-masks-angry_desat_and_solarise-2009_02_06-7340-40D_Dewey-Masks.jpg

#6 my best balaclava
edit-masks-balaclava-2009_02_06-7299-40D_Dewey-Masks_copy.jpg

#7 you looking at me?
edit-masks-questionning_mirror-2009_02_07-7489-40D_Dewey-Masks_copy.jpg

#8 - growing taller - and a splash of colour
edit-masks-lift_head_with_blood-2009_02_07-7431-40D_Dewey-Masks_copy.jpg

Last edited:
and the last few pics to choose from

#9 one for the snow
edit-masks-arctic_3_by_2-2009_02_07-7393-40D_Dewey-Masks_copy.jpg

#10 guantanamo bay holiday camp
edit-masks-submit-2009_02_06-7201-40D_Dewey-Masks_copy.jpg

and the original three pics for completeness
#11 world war one gas mask
edit-gamask2008-2008_08_03-6846-40D-Shuttleworth_Military_Pageant-edit_solarise_edges_b_w_copy.jpg

#12 skull
edit-skull-2009_01_28-6739-40D_Dewey-masks_copy.jpg

#13 fetish gas mask (with polarbear inside - the only one I didn't model myself)
edit-gasmask-2009_01_28-6720-40D_Dewey-masks_copy.jpg

Thanks - and don't forget, get your opinions in before Wednesday in order to have a chance of winning your own gas mask!

Sue

Numbers 1, 2 & 4. They are a set and defo the most nightmaresih. No 2 because of the forlorn look in the eyes. I'll bet you could sell posters with those images on. Some heavy metal or EMO kids or a Drum & Bass or Heave Dub outfit would love them. Maybe you should try. Excellent shots.

1,5 and 13 for, the rest are still great but those are the ones which strike a note with me. Very creative stuff (y)
T.

Numbers 1, 2 & 4. They are a set and defo the most nightmaresih. No 2 because of the forlorn look in the eyes. I'll bet you could sell posters with those images on. Some heavy metal or EMO kids or a Drum & Bass or Heave Dub outfit would love them. Maybe you should try. Excellent shots.

Thank you for the lovely feedback, mr Badger UK. Consider yourself entered in the draw for a prize gas mask!

1,5 and 13 for, the rest are still great but those are the ones which strike a note with me. Very creative stuff (y)
T.

Thanks Tomas - you currently have a 50% chance of winning a gas mask - though this might drop with time...

Yes, Whitehouse is right about no. 13 being a good shot, but I still stick with 1, 2 and 4.

Yes, Whitehouse is right about no. 13 being a good shot, but I still stick with 1, 2 and 4.

Thanks Badger - I'll count that as a tie-breaking half vote for no. 13 if it comes to it. However I won't count this as a second chance in the prize draw :rules: one chance each member I'm afraid.

2 3 & 5 are my favourites but they are all great they would look brill on the front of a kids t-shirt (y)

2, 7 & 13 for me.

Great shots (y)

I personally like #1 and #13.
And not just because I want that prize aha :LOL:
I think they're wonderfully executed and the processing style is really unique.

Thanks Foodpoison. Consider yourself entered in the draw for mask #1. Good luck.
Thanks for the feedback on processing style - I constantly swing between doing nothing to photos (not even doctoring out rings on birds' feet) and massive messing with processing. Glad to hear that some of my "over the top stuff" is liked!

2, 7 & 13 for me.

Great shots (y)

Thanks Daysleeper - you're also in the draw. And the first vote for #7 and first landscape format picture.

In case its putting people off voting - you don't have to accept the scary gas mask prize. You can say "no, I'd rather not have it, thanks" and still vote. I might even be able to find a fluffy kitten as an alternative prize...

Sue - I know GB is away, but I'm sure he didnt think you would get up to this!

13 is a stunner, I'd pay for that to be on a T-Shirt!

Thanks Chewy. It is amazing what you feel like getting up to when no one else is in the house :naughty:

Thanks for the feedback - number 13 coming out strong... and think the Tshirt franchise might be opened up soon!

like 1,2 and 7 with 7 probably edging it for me, it's a got a great alien type quality to it. (y)

Thanks Gonetae - you're in the draw! Good point about the alien look - maybe I should look up H R Giger for more inspiration. Seem to remember working through a book of postcards of his - some very disturbing images among them!

Last edited:
These are cool! 7, 9 and 13 are my faves, but I also love 2. Quite eerie looking :)

Really like the mask in number 1, and love the effect on all of them! Also like the texture on the balaclava in 6. I also really like the subject in number 9, but the middle is a bit bright. Great set of images though, certainly would be interesting to give this a go!

I really want the gas mask! Do I get entered twice if I comment twice? :D

Really like the mask in number 1, and love the effect on all of them! Also like the texture on the balaclava in 6. I also really like the subject in number 9, but the middle is a bit bright. Great set of images though, certainly would be interesting to give this a go!

I really want the gas mask! Do I get entered twice if I comment twice? :D

Thanks for your votes - all noted. Good point on number 9 - easy to fix fortunately. Well, except for my issue of not being able to judge brightness very well :thumbsdown:

Overjoyed that you are keen to win the prize of a gas mask, but I'm afraid that I think it is only fair to put in one entry for each member who comments. Else I could have a long long comment list of "me, me, me, me, me, me" which wouldn't be very enlightening. Though I feel guilty for not rewarding keenness... guess thats the problem with a lottery.

So my top tip would be if you don't win (and the draw is on wednesday), and are still really keen for a gas mask - search ebay. There's lots to choose from - but none as cheap as a free prize!!! :woot:

9 10 and 12 don't seem to have a place here although I can't be really specific - not 'masky' I suppose. The rest look like they could have had a place on some 70s rock LP cover - Pink Floyd for example.

1, 3 & 5 for a set if I were choosing. I do love the look of the mask in 11 though, that would be my pick for a single photo.

1, 2 & 13 for your competition although my personal favourite is 7. These are very, very good and show great creativity and imagination which has been well executed.

Thanks for your votes - all noted. Good point on number 9 - easy to fix fortunately. Well, except for my issue of not being able to judge brightness very well :thumbsdown:

Overjoyed that you are keen to win the prize of a gas mask, but I'm afraid that I think it is only fair to put in one entry for each member who comments. Else I could have a long long comment list of "me, me, me, me, me, me" which wouldn't be very enlightening. Though I feel guilty for not rewarding keenness... guess thats the problem with a lottery.

So my top tip would be if you don't win (and the draw is on wednesday), and are still really keen for a gas mask - search ebay. There's lots to choose from - but none as cheap as a free prize!!! :woot:

Haha, I'll just try my VERY hardest to be pulled out of the hat :D

9 10 and 12 don't seem to have a place here although I can't be really specific - not 'masky' I suppose. The rest look like they could have had a place on some 70s rock LP cover - Pink Floyd for example.

Had similar feedback from a friend - think you both have points, I just wasn't sure how much breadth I'd have just with gas masks or if it would be too limited. Think they'll be dropped. Oh if only I could get pink floyd to use one of my pictures for an album cover.... :notworthy:

Thanks for the input - you're in the draw.

1, 3 & 5 for a set if I were choosing. I do love the look of the mask in 11 though, that would be my pick for a single photo.

Thanks for the votes - 5 is a slow stalking horse contender at the minute. Also thanks for the analysis that 11 works best as a stand alone.
You're in the draw for the gas mask!

1, 2 & 13 for your competition although my personal favourite is 7. These are very, very good and show great creativity and imagination which has been well executed.

1,2 and 13 are certainly popular, but also noted the vote for no. 7. Well executed is no.8!
thanks for the feedback - you're also in the draw!

Haha, I'll just try my VERY hardest to be pulled out of the hat :D

I'll note that and make sure the cat is aware just HOW much your chickeny treat wants to be eaten compared to all the others... yes the selection method will be which treat the cat eats first of a mat of numbered squares as my randomised selector.

Good luck to you all but still would like more votes!!

Last edited:
These are pretty cool.

Favourite is no. 7, then no. 1, then I can't decide betweek 3 & 13.

Thanks staffitaxi - your votes have been counted and you're in the draw :)

I will be closing the draw at 10am on Wednesday. The lucky winner will be chosen by which treat my cat eats first in the manner of bovine bingo. If you've never come across this idea, here's a video of canine bingo. The cat will be deciding the result by which number she eats a treat off first. It has to be the first treat rather than last treat because, bless her, she's only a cat and might get bored and wonder off half way through.

There is only 24 hours left to enter. Get your thoughts in NOW!

The draw is now closed.

Comments still appreciated, but you won't win the gas mask.

The draw will be perfomred this afternoon, and I will PM the winner for their address.

Sue

And here we go in the gas mask prize draw as determined by random cat treat lottery.

By the deadline there were 13 entrants, which seemd to fit bst on a 3 by 5 grid with a couple of gaps. The numbers on the grid (put in random order) are the number of the post on this thread. As you can see, each has a delicious chickeny treat (for those of you who like to know the details, they are "Felix Lickin's") which the cat loves but being a greedy cat she normally only receives two or three at bedtime.

cat_lottery2009_02_11-7499-40D_Dewey-Cat_lottery.jpg

The cat was called from another room - so she entered from the bottom of the picture. Being a very observant cat with sharp natural instincts for food, she initially walks into the room right past the treats.

cat_lottery2009_02_11-7500-40D_Dewey-Cat_lottery.jpg

However, she did realise that something interesting was nearby, and turned to find...

cat_lottery2009_02_11-7501-40D_Dewey-Cat_lottery.jpg

That's right - post number 3 is the winner :woot:! Which is BadgerUK. He wins the gas mask. I'll PM him immediately!

If you're terribly disappointed to have missed out :crying: don't despair, ebay does have a rather large supply of gas masks - many going for £10 or less including postage :D and they are great fun to photograph - rather less fun to wear though.

I've been away for almost a week and get on the WiFi on the train, to find this...

Does anyone have a spare room I can borrow???

Nice one Sue!

Back