24-105L vs 24-70L ??

antonroland

Inspector Gadget
Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks

Any suggestions would be appreciated.I am in two minds but I think I am leaning towards the 24-70 L.
The 24-105 would be better from a focal lenght perspective but I am really spoiled with the low light capabilities of f/2,8.

Anybody who owns both?

What do you intend on using the lens for ?

I have the 24-70 and mostly use it at F4.
At F2.8 focus is critical due to the small of depth of field so it’s used only in extreme circumstances.

I prefer the design of the 24-70 though and so would probably still buy it again over the 24-105.

Howzit sdk^

I do weddings mainly and the 70-200 is a bit long albeit invaluable.My 17-85 is a bit short again.thanks to the sudden landslide devaluation of our currency I will not be able to get my 5D as soon as I would have liked:bang:

So I thought the 24-70 with fov crop (although short) will be a better bet than the 24-105:thinking: :cautious:

I am also trying to send my glass purchases in the 1D direction so wouldn't like to purchase any further EF-S glass.

Help me if I miss something here but I thought this way:

The 24-70 you admit to using mostly at f/4 because of DOF.How sharp is it at 2,8?

Because most lenses are not pin sharp at max aperture I reasoned that the 24-105 would also likely not be that sharp at 4 and therefore I would need to take it to 5,6 or higher for better sharpness.Would you agree here?

Cheers and thanks for your help(y) .

I went through the same dilemma a few weeks back and I did a bit of digging around and found this article CLICKY

This swayed me towards the 24-105 initially then I had a play with a friends version and I really liked it, for me it seemed a better walkabout lens which is what I was after.

I ordered it from Kerso and it arrived yesterdaty so I haven't had a huge amount of time to play with it so far. I did post a couple of quick snap from it n the General Photo section yesterday, here The last image is hand held at 105mm and 1/30s showing the IS works well.

HTH

The 24-70 you admit to using mostly at f/4 because of DOF.How sharp is it at 2,8?
Because most lenses are not pin sharp at max aperture I reasoned that the 24-105 would also likely not be that sharp at 4 and therefore I would need to take it to 5,6 or higher for better sharpness.Would you agree here?

Sharpness at F2.8 is quite good but as I said above – It’s critical to ensure accurate focus
i.e. focusing on the eyes and recomposing will mostly give soft eyes

If I get chance when I get home then I'll post a couple of examples at F2.8, F4 and F8 :)

Thanks for all that folks

Must be honest I am still in favour of the 24-70 especially after having read that article you referred me to Neon.(y)

I suppose the bottom line is that one has to sacrifice a bit here to gain some there and unless the 24-105 is really pin sharp at f/4 right through I will most likely pick the 24-70 for that extra light at 2,8.:shrug:

Thanks again

Back