Anyone bought from Simply Electronics

They are dropshippers, not retailers - you pay the agent in the UK and the goods are then shipped from HK

SimplyElectronics Limited
Unit 7, 8th floor
682 Castle Peak Road
Kowloon, kowloon HONG KONG

Last edited:
Best thing would be to email them and get them to confirm in writing that the lens is in stock in the UK (as this isn't made clear) and would be with you within X number of days.

Last edited:
I've had a ND8 from them - arrived next day no problems.

i have since bought a lens from them and the robbing ******s stole money by taking payment twice , they said they would refund but diddnt....... luckly visa refunded after a dispute took 6-7 weeks AVOID AT ALL COSTS use google to streetmap the address - some private house !

Last edited:
had 2 lenses from them and arrived within a few days

I would never deal with them again. I just like you thought it was in stock because it said so, but reality was that they took my money and held it for a while before letting me know they never had the item in stock at all and search the forums for many others like me.. Several mails to them then others threatening action ended up getting my money returned.Stay well clear if you can.

Had loads of problems getting a Tamron 28-75mm Nikon fit. Waited two weeks for delivery. Wouldn't use again. Rob

Bought an SB 600 flash from them, grey import as there was no UK gtee, but then it was £156 delivered against £220 elswhere. I've seen lots of moans about them but it mainly boils down to slow delivery, I've not seen anyone who has actually lost money with these guys, seems you have to wait for delivery in return for low prices. You pays your money and takes yer choice!

i had been on the lookout for a 300mm for a few days, called jacobs and the guy said they had one in but saving it for a customer who was supposed to call same day to confirm he wanted it, he said he would phone the guy and get back to me, 15 minutes on hold and a woman said "cant get hold of him, can we ring back" i said of course.

30 minutes later, call from Jacobs saying the lens is mine as the other guy doesnt want it, i make it 500% clear i wasnt interested unless they physically had it there in stock, off trots guy and returns 5 minutes later and says, ive got it here with me, i said can you actually touch it, yes he said.

I made it more than clear i wouldnt buy anything unless it was actually there in front of him, i made it more than clear (all was said friendly and politley) that unless he could cast iron guarantee me 100% that they actually physically had a lens on the desk in front of him that i would go buy elsewhere, again he said " yes its here"

I paid £3,328 which included next day saturday morning delivery, the transaction was completed at 12.32 pm on Friday afternoon, at 12.38pm i got an email and below is the email i received

Dear Mr. GARY COYLE,

PLEASE NOTE: This email is for your reference and does not constitute an acceptance of your order.

Thanks very much for your order received on Friday 20, February 2009. If the goods you ordered were in stock and available, then your order is now being processed.

Registered users can check the status of this order, or their order history by visiting the following page: http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/index.php?target=orders

You will receive a further email the night your order is despatched so you can make arrangements to receive it. This email will contain the method of dispatch and tracking information.

If you have selected Next Day delivery, then please note this is only available if your goods are in stock, and your order has cleared our security and payment system. We will ship your order (once it has cleared our checking systems) using the courier service, which you have paid for.

All sounds good, or so i thought, 6 minutes later i got the following email

Dear Mr. GARY COYLE,

Your order has been backordered, this means that one or more of the items that you ordered are not available for immediate dispatch. Your order has either been placed with the manufacture or recalled from one of our stores. Your order will be fulfilled as soon as your item/s arrive.

Thank you for choosing Jacobs

Kind Regards,
Jacobs Web Sales Team
www.jacobsdigital.co.uk

Not very good, i needed that lens.

Straight on the phone to bank to stop payment, bank said cant stop its already being processed, funds had not actually been drawn out of my account but my "Available balance" was showing minus the lens amount.

Got on the phone to Jacobs to cancel the order, spoke to customer services, i explained that i only ordered the lens because i was promised it was in stock, anyway i asked for the monet transfer to be cancelled and the order stopped, she said she would do this for me as it was for a "back ordered product"

Graet i thought, at least i can go elsewhere, maybe have to pay a little extra but i will be able to get my lens, money was still showing in process on Saturday morning and wasnt available in my account, tried to call Jacobs, even tried head office but not open until Monday morning, i evem called a couple of high street stores but the guys said they dodnt have access to any mail order stuff.

Sunday morning, checked account and was flabbergasted that Jacobs have drawn the money from my account, so now i dont have my £3,300 nor do i have the money or ability to get a replacement.

Theiving barstewards.

That is not very good when you specifically asked if they had it, its alot of money, but even it was'nt the ethics of it are pretty poor

i hope you get your money back on monday

ok it is crap treatment but if they put the card payment through they cannot stop it, they would have to issue a refund, now if that was done on Saturday i reckon at the earliest it will be monday before that is reflected in your account, so i don't think you have lost your cash, the flip side is its disgusting behaviour just to get a sale.

Last edited:
SImply Electronics Feedback: I read the less than impressive feedback on this trader which seemed to suggest that if you weren't in a rush you could probably pick up a good deal as their prices were as low as anyone - I also saw that it was a good idea to buy items that were 'In Stock' as their source seemed to be HK (from where I've bought several times direct so not a problem) - Well I wasn't in a rush and saw a great price on a wide angle lens which was also shown 'In Stock' - I ordered the lens (just over £300) paying by Debit Card on 30th January '09 - I tried to select 'Next Day Delivery' but wasn't able to (?) - After four days of hearing nothing I emailed them & asked when I could expect delivery - 3 to 8 days was the norm I was told - Still heard nothing after 8 days so I emailed them again & was advised there was a slight delay due to 'high demand' for equipment (?) - I sent a few more emails over the next few days & was spun the usual waffle about how important my order was and how the lens would be sent out asap etc - After 16 days of waiting & more broken promises I decided to cancel the order & asked for a refund - They emailed me & offered me a 'Free Gift' not to cancel the order (lens cleaning kit probably worth diddly squat) - I declined their kind offer & asked when I could expect my refund - A few days I was told but received no refund after 2,4,6,8,10 days (during which time I emailed them & received back the same waffle about how sorry they were & my refund would be done 'soon') - Finally on 1st March '09 my refund arrived! (maybe the interest on my money in their bank account is only accrued after a month!)
Well done to anyone who manages to get a bargain from these people - I won't be going near them in the future ... Paul :nono:

sounds **** tbh ive ordered from them, an got it in a week, seems like luck of the draw with them

I ordered my macro lens from them last week...got it yesterday. It took a few days longer than I thought it should have for delivery so I emailed them to which I got a reply from a real person (which is a good start). I had the product the next day (yesterday) and they didn't debit my card untill it was shipped.

All in all, no problems and would deal with again.

**edit

I was on their site just now and noticed this

"UK Delivery Times

Standard Free Delivery - We like to give our customers the best possible deal, hence we offer a free delivery service for all orders over £49! This option is usually delivered within 3-8 working days. For any orders that total below £49, delivery is charged at £5. Please note, a signature will be required for most standard delivery services. "

So regarding my comments above, the product was delivered well with the 8 days so absolutly no complaints here. The fact it was free delivery also and that so many other suppliers charge whatever the price was also a bonus!

Last edited:
I just got a Canon 50D from Simply Electronics (retired and need a good price), although confirmation email said 3-8 days it took 5 weeks for delivery. Grey imports, no UK guarantee, just a Simply Electronics warrenty card. All emails said they are busy and have a backload. Do a google search and see all the problems with this company. Cancelling your order seems to give as many problems in refunding your credit card.
My view: They have nothing in stock (or very little): You should get it eventually : Repairs will be the same nighmare : I would advise everyone to stay will clear of them.

Hmm,
I've had something from them, but my dad used his credit card as I don't have one (we do this a lot for the insurance).
As he placed the order and took delivery, I don't know how long it took, but it's here and no problems.

I used them recently, 3 weeks for a Tamron 90mm. It was slow but I saved around £60 as I also had a discount code.

asked a similar question on another site (am i allowed to link to the thread?) and it was full of positive for a few pages, then went to loads of negative comments , based in Hk and carry no stock as explained above, decided the saving wasnt worth the risk in the end, factoring the bad money conversion and then the customs taxes

sounds **** tbh ive ordered from them, an got it in a week, seems like luck of the draw with them

OK, but luck of teh draw just doesn't cut it.

That was cheap imprts from teh far east in teh 70's!!

Simply a waste of time

before they changed there postal address to a virtual company address this was simplyelectronics ......

s.JPG

I purchased my 28-75mm Tamron from them, through Amazon.co.uk and had no problems. They stated about 8 days for delivery but it took 10 days. price was good. I was looking at a 70-200 f2.8 from them for £879.00 but this would be direct from their website and after hearing all your comments on here I think I will give it a miss.

Last edited:
Thought I'd make a quick post to state my experience of Simply Electronic.

They were recommended to me by a friend so when I was looking for a 70-200 f4 IS last week I checked their site and saw it for £799 Inc delivery - good price so I ordered it on 18/7. Recievered email stating 3 to 10 days delivery.
I was doing some surfing in the net and on Monday evening and came across bad experiences that people had had with the company and became slightly concerned. In another forum I found a lot of comments from a member of Simply's customer service who was seemingly trying to sort out problems so I dropped them a pm.

On Tuesday am recieved a reply that the lens would be sent out Wed. On Wed recieved email from company advicing that my cc was about to be debited and then an email confirming dispatch via Royal Mail Next Day along with reference.

Lens arrived this morning. So from my part good experience and would use them again.

If I had found the comments about them I would not have used them.

Last edited:
well... i ordered a filter through amazon with them, recieved it in a few days (earlier than i expected) but i ordered the wrong one so posted it back out on monday and got an email today saying they have recieved and the refund should be issued shortly. I cant really grumble about the service i have recieved as they have bin in pretty much constant contact with me since placing the order.

I know several people that have ordered from them and have found that what they have ordered isn't actually available. I'd avoid them - too many negative reports

friend of mine ordered his 5Dmk2 from them with DIRE results....... web site AND amazon shop said it was in stock.......... 3 weeks and numerous ignored emails and he eventually got thru to be told it was being dealt with...... another week or so later he had to go thru google checkout to get his money back and he went elsewhere. thereis a whole web site i think dedicated to complaint of this lot

My dad got a point and shot from them. Took 3 weeks to come. Then when he got his credit card bill they had over charged by 15%. THe credit card company said it was due to the way the vender works with the shopping card company, (MPbooker). They do the trans action as a online betting service so you end up paying the service fee rather than the vendor.

I bought my old Sony T300 from them. It arrived pretty quickly and I didn't have to pay any import tax or such. My experience with them was pretty good, and by the looks of it I seem to be the only one.

I bought my 300 f4 from them at a good price and good service so can't complain.
Would I use them again? In a word NO because I then come across Onestop Digital who were a bit cheaper. I don't buy anything from anyone other than Onestop Digital nowadays. Great prices and quick delivery.

ordered an external flash from these guys but they haven't taken payment yet so I have sent an email to stop the order, bet you will take the money anyway!! Anyhow after reading the negative comments about this "company" and the fact that there is a good chance the product will be a grey market version there is no way I am going through with this. Their website is very deceptive and makes it look like you are ordering from a legit UK based company. Tried to call them but as previous comments mentioned there is never a response. If you are thinking about this company I would stay clear without a doubt. Much better so spend a few quid more and get a legit version of what you want and a company that does actually have a support team. Lessons have definitely been learnt from this experience.

Back