First Paying Shoot

Name
Renee
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok so here it goes... rip em to shreds:

Sarah-Kitchen-16-resized.jpg

(the shot above was taken like this the only photoshop done to it was to take out the reins and sharpen up the ears)

Sarah-Kitchen-05-resized.jpg

Sarah-Kitchen-04-resized.jpg

Sarah-Kitchen-01-resized.jpg

Sarah-Kitchen-resized.jpg

(I know this one is oof but I really like the sense of movement. I'm debating on wether to show it to her or not)

I haven't gotten to the pics with the horse being ridden. Guess I wanted to see how aweful they were from you guys first! Don't be gentle.

Pretty good Renee and I'll comment on each one individually.

Pic #1: Good pose but a bit too dark and too much space at the top, I've done a quick edit but it's not the best as it is a small file.

Sarah-Kitchen-16-resized.jpg

#2: Not sure about this one, it would have worked better if you had been further to the left but the customer might like it.

#3: I quite like this one although I might crop a bit of the right and the bottom so the horse is moving into the picture. This could used as a montage base like this (this is a very quick attempt with the images available but I'm sure you get the idea;) )

Sarah-Kitchen-04-resized2.jpg

#4: Again, just a bit dark.

Sarah-Kitchen-01-resized.jpg

#5: Almost a great shot but as it is a paying customer I don't think it should used.

Overall I think you've done pretty well considering it's your first shoot and you should be pleased with the results. :clap:

Thanks Colin. I look at them this morning and feel a bit down. I think my camera skills aren't bad but my post processing skills are definitely lacking! I was terrified to blow out the whites on this horse so I underexposed all my shots by a stop on purpose figuring I could get it back PP. Guess I haven't pushed it far enough as they all look pretty flat to me this morning. I'll give it more of a try today.

Don't feel down Renee, the shots are good, as you say they just need a bit of tweaking. What you've got to remember is that coloured horses are always difficult to shoot due to the light range, which is enhanced by the dark backgrounds here. I doubt very much whether the customer would notice as they will be looking at the picture as a whole.

A good set - horses aren't easy to phtograph to order - a one off is a lot easier!

Colin's edits show you tat often it is not a bad idea to go about half a stop down as it is easier to lift shadows than recover a blown highlight. Look forward to seeing you set after you have had time to have a play.

Collected a car load of family Christmas presents from my daughter at Ripon yesterday so not so far away from you. She married at Thornton Steward cant get much more in the outback than that!

i like em, definately better than i could manage!

Don't feel down Renee, the shots are good

Indeed, I would be proud to have taken these, and as Colin says, the client will more than likely be looking at the shot as a whole. They want a representation of their horse, and if you're true to that, then that's half the battle won (y)

Give yourself a pat on the back.

these are lovely Renee....lovely and clear, I'll not comment on't editing tho, you are getting good help from Mr Hacker!

Have you shown them to the buyer yet?

I have shown them to the buyer she has bought 6 - 3 8x10 (one is included in the shoot fee) and 3 5x7. Since she has shown them around I have also been contacted for 3 more shoots but no firm dates yet. I've just finished a poster which I'm having printed right now to take to all the local barns/stables and hang up. We'll see how it goes. If I can show my husband I have some firm dates in the calendar he'll let me burn up the credit card on a new sigma 2.8 70-200!

Hey great stuff Renee. You must be very proud to have got 3 more shoots from recommendations, coz that's people seeing your work and liking it enough to want you to do the same for them! Big congrats :clap: (y)

Nice one Renee! It's always good to get recommendations, you must be chuffed.

Excellent - Now to hit the trainers Middleham and al the studs!

Excellent - Now to hit the trainers Middleham and al the studs!

yes i have two different marketing strategies. One is to the "normal" people who may want pics of there son or daughter with their horse for Christmas or like my first shoot a person who their horse is their son or daughter. I am also marketing to stallion owners and people who are looking to sell their horse with a slightly different take on the adds. I'm hoping the strategy works. I'll let you know. I want to do shows also but I really think until I can get the right kit (new lens) I cannot give that my best so I would like to hold off.

Back