New Nikon camera being announced 14th April...

Edit My Images
Yes
Not the D400 but a camera that sits between the D60 and the D90 with the aim being to compete with the 450D from Canon and the A350 from Sony. That is all I could get today, but will try and dig up more. D40 now totally discontinued which we already knew.

Wise money is on it being something like a D90 lite named a 'D75.'

Hope this helps.

Pete.

Thanks for the head's-up on this.

The two bodies I'm waiting for are the D40 and D300 replacement. Of course, if Nikon were to offer a D700 without the flash, then that would be top of my list.

Its a big gap between the 60 and 90 price wise - good move for Nikon.

Not the D400 but a camera that sits between the D60 and the D90 with the aim being to compete with the 450D from Canon and the A350 from Sony. That is all I could get today, but will try and dig up more. D40 now totally discontinued which we already knew.

Wise money is on it being something like a D90 lite named a 'D75.'

Hope this helps.

Pete.

Is this not the D5000 I saw rumoured a few weeks back (no providence just a rumour).

Looks like I have to wait for my D400 :D

I've been really tempted for a while now to pull the trigger on the D90, looks like I'll sideline that for the moment and wait for the new announcement. Thanks for letting us know :)

Realistically, What advantages can this have over a D60 without rendering the D90 useless?

Is this the D60 SE, that doesn't exist but keeps popping up at B&H...:thinking:

Just heard about this today from one of my RSS feeds. looks like I'll be postponing on withdrawals and checking out early reviews. I would get the D90 but honestly the HD video quality and (ugh!) mono sound keeps me off. Come on D5000...

Excuse my ignorance, but what benefit would there be to a D700 without the flash? :shrug:

:)

While most people enjoy using a built-in flash, my photography style has been without flash. I haven't used any sort of flash since 2005, as such I have no need for it.

Also, the built-in flash adds three problems to the D700: -

1. It takes up space which restrict the viewfinder to 95% instead of 100%. A 100% viewfinder is a lot better for me.

2. It adds another level of something that can go wrong. How many times has the flash popped-up accidently?

3. The flash allows for the seems to exit, which reduces the body's resistance to moisture and humidity.

Hence, you will see all the "real" professional-grade bodies are flash-less (as seen with the D3, D3x, D2Xs, D2H, etc.).

Since the D700 has that wonderful sexy sensor that everyone raves about, even Canon users ache for; why not make it one bit better ... remove the flash and give us better sealing and a 100% viewfinder!

If Nikon really wants D700 users to use flash, then include an SB400 in the box :p (or offer the SB400 for a marginal price).

1. It takes up space which restrict the viewfinder to 95% instead of 100%. A 100% viewfinder is a lot better for me.

AFAIA it's the sensor cleaning system that restricts the viewfinder to 95% on the D700.

2. It adds another level of something that can go wrong. How many times has the flash popped-up accidently?

Well, in all my years owning Nikons with pop up flashes (F80, D70s, D300) I'd say, errr one,... two ... actually never!

3. The flash allows for the seems to exist, which reduces the body's resistance to moisture and humidity.

That's the only disadvantage I can think of.

One of the benefits of the pop-up flash of course is the ability to use it as a commander for Nikon's CLS.

PMA has come and gone and no news (I did a Google). So is this rumor false?

With respect to Diego he's posted new Nikon rumors with dates in the past, and they haven't materialised. We all know Nikon will release a new camera eventually though :LOL:

Diego, I'd give up on posting the rumors mate, I don't doubt you are getting snippets of info, and in a way I commend you for passing that on ( which could in some respects get you into trouble ) but your sources aren't very good mate :D :LOL:

Edit: Oh and in case you read that the wrong way, it's meant in a very tongue in cheek way ;)

flash popping up when not needed ? i have very little idea what most of my camera can do but i do know how to make it so the flash never fires, and if you never use flash i cant understand why you dont just use that setting.

I'd put money on Pete being right (date may be off by a day or two).

Canon have just announced the 500D, so its Nikon turn.

AFAIA it's the sensor cleaning system that restricts the viewfinder to 95% on the D700.

Well, in all my years owning Nikons with pop up flashes (F80, D70s, D300) I'd say, errr one,... two ... actually never!

That's the only disadvantage I can think of.

One of the benefits of the pop-up flash of course is the ability to use it as a commander for Nikon's CLS.

It goes to show that I learn something new every day .. and thank you for correcting me (y)

Wouldn't removing the pop-up flash give ample space to keep the sensor cleaner & allow for a 100% viewfinder?

Since I don't use any sort of flash, CLS commander is redundant for me .. hence I'd happily do without it.

:)

flash popping up when not needed ? i have very little idea what most of my camera can do but i do know how to make it so the flash never fires, and if you never use flash i cant understand why you dont just use that setting.

Not fire, pop-up!

So, you've never accidently pushed the flash button :shrug:

It's happened to me many times, not necessarily when using the camera even :p

---

OK, I've just seen that you've got the D90. On the D300 and D700 there is no way for the flash to pop-up automatically (unlike with the D90, D80, D60 and D40). For the flash to pop-up (errect) you'd have to physically press a little tiny button on the side of the flash.

I've accidently done this many many many times over the years. Since I never use a flash, I hate it even more when this happens.

I hope this clarifies it better.

OK, I will have to see someone about my butter-fingers :p

I've had them pop up in a bag and be broken off as something has hit the release button. But never had a problem in use.

With respect to Diego he's posted new Nikon rumors with dates in the past, and they haven't materialised. We all know Nikon will release a new camera eventually though :LOL:

Diego, I'd give up on posting the rumors mate, I don't doubt you are getting snippets of info, and in a way I commend you for passing that on ( which could in some respects get you into trouble ) but your sources aren't very good mate :D :LOL:

Edit: Oh and in case you read that the wrong way, it's meant in a very tongue in cheek way ;)

I was right on the D3X which you know about as I was corrected on Nikon Cafe and people sent me PMs saying sorry! Also, this camera is due to be announced mid April and considering we are on 25th March, I will once again await an apology :)

No you were right on the release of a camera ( which everyone was expecting ) you got the date wrong :p

Not the D400 but a camera that sits between the D60 and the D90 with the aim being to compete with the 450D from Canon and the A350 from Sony.
Oops. With today's announcement of the Canon 500D, that makes it sound like Nikon is a generation behind!

Oops. With today's announcement of the Canon 500D, that makes it sound like Nikon is a generation behind!

Have you not stopped to think that Canon brought this forward to compete and trump a Nikon announcement? There is no 'oopps'.

After all , it is a comp and the Nikon is still coming. The forum naysayers are once again ganging up! or rather icecavern has it in for me ;) :D

Have you not stopped to think that Canon brought this forward to compete and trump a Nikon announcement? There is no 'oopps'.

Nikon and Canon know exactly what each other are doing and when they will do it.

My one purpose in life is to rubbish everything you say :woot::LOL:

OK, here you are then. The D3 is a much better camera than the 5D Mark 2. The D3 renders colour way better than the D3 and at high ISO people dont look like clay. :D:D:D The 5D2 is awful. D3 is uber camera :naughty:

Work with that :p:LOL::LOL:

Looks like I'll refrain from buying a used D80 to see if this "rumored release" has the features I want:

1) Bracketing. HDR man. fad or not, I want to try my hand at it and get good results.
2) Equal or higher than 10 MP. I'll routinely print A2 and larger prints.
3) Dedicated buttons for ISO, Burst speed, etc. I hate menu treasure hunting.
4) no video (or at least better video taking abilities than the D90). Blasphemy? No. I've simply been spoiled by the Canon S5 640X480 video standard with stereo sound. I can't switch to mono. It'd be like riding a bike with one pedal. No way.

So we'll see. If this new release lacks this, I'll be hunting on Ebay for the D80.

The D80 has Bracketing [and being pedantic has more than 10MP - that doesn't help, I know... plus dedicated buttons for ISO/WB etc]. The D90 carries a CMOS rather than a CCD sensor, and seems to hold the 'High ISO' crown for APS-C cameras [if DXO are to be believed].

Seems that unless the new camera carries an in-body screw-drive motor, the D80/90 are still the 'entry level' cameras for those who might want to use some of the established Nikkor primes.

I'm not that interested in a new entry level Nikon, myself - but I am interested to know why both Canon and Nikon chose to ignore PMA to launch the new kit - seems rather an insult to the PMA organisers...

Nikon never announces anything of note at PMA.

This date is bandied around every year and off the top of my head I don't ever recall anything substantial.

Yeah - just seems a little odd to ignore a trade show, where you have focused attention from the relevant press and potential customerbase, and the instant ability to one-up your competitors...
I think that when you are Nikon you can do what you like and people will still buy your cameras.

LOL - all hail the glory of viral marketing. :)

Yeah, I know the D80 has what I want - and I'm this close to clinching the deal on Ebay on one - but I still want to see what the new kid on the block (if he exists and isn't just a rumor) brings to the table. If it's better, he wins my cash. Of course, I'll also wait for the first two or three reviews to come out before laying down coin.

One thing I find strange - both this thread and the new Canon 500D thread have got loads of people interested.

Why is it that body announcement / rumours excite people and not lenses? Is it me who is arse-about-face or the rest of the world in this regard?

I'm more interested about lenses (been seriously investigating the 18-105 VR) but if I can go for a DSLR that trumps or equals the power of a D90 (or tries to), then that's where my focus goes. I think most reasonable people purchase a DSLR knowing full well they'll be selling and upgrading within a few years. Lenses are long term investments, so no real reason to fuss over them.

OK, here you are then. The D3 is a much better camera than the 5D Mark 2. The D3 renders colour way better than the D3 and at high ISO people dont look like clay. :D:D:D The 5D2 is awful. D3 is uber camera :naughty:

Work with that :p:LOL::LOL:

Hmmm I can't disagree with that sorry :D

Back