Violetta K, Helsinki Strobist Meet

Name
Tomas
Edit My Images
No
3376266711_d19fdcd8bc_o.jpg

First off a huge thanks goes to Artur Gajewski for organizing such a cool day.
Another extra large dose of thanks goes to Akira and Mira Mäkinen, extremely talented make up artist/stylists! Awesome work girls!

I really hope there is another meet in the not too distant future because I had so much fun, infact I deserve a big slap around the chops because I spent the majority of the time talking to people instead of shooting!

What can I say, it was exciting to be around so many folk with very similar interests, I really wanted to get around to talking with all of the photographers but there was just too many, even for my big mouth.

I helped a few peeps out with what little knowledge I have rattling around in my compact cranium and also managed to come away with a shot I was happy with too.

Lighting wise for the shot of Violetta K:
One SB-800 on camera right at 1/32nd power with a Lastolite 60cm softbox as key, one SB-28 at 1/64th fired into a reflector umbrella on camera left for fill and another SB-28 as back light at 1/32nd power with a Honl Grid courtesy of my new buddy Marko

A deserved well done to everybody and my sincere thanks for making it such a great day.

Be sure to visit the Valaisija Flickr pool and check out the awesome work!

Last edited:
Like the style, surly expression though!

Cheers mate (y), I really didn't want a friendly look, more sharp and cold really.
The thing is around 10 photographers are all going to have the same images, I set up my lights and with a little collaboration from a couple of buddies, we got the backlight acceptable, the background happened to be a plain white brick wall which wasn't to flattering in all honesty. A mate chucked me a honl grid and that seemed to do the trick, kind of a real time vignette.

What makes this image different from the rest is expression and the background I've shopped in post.

It was a little chaotic at times, there were 22 photogs and only 4 models, 2 cancelled, but for me the most important part of the day was to meet new faces and get some contacts. I talked my mouth off I think :LOL:

Last edited:
It's an interesting background and you'd be hard pressed to tell it wasn't real.

Wow, thanks man! I shot that in Riga, Latvia at the beginning of the month, though I grab some interesting textures and make a little inventory of them.
There's a gaussian blur on it to try to marry it with the model a little better.

Thats possibly my favourite portrait from you, I actually couldn't fault it in anyway. I hope thats going to be in your portfolio by the end of the day!

Nice one mate, it is indeed, blogged it, up on the .com and added to the valaisija pool. Chuffties with that one but I have another more personal shoot this weekend with just on buddy and two models. I'm really looking to it, the location is a pretty swanky bar www.belge.fi, check out the kirjastobaari, looks cool! I mailed them a few weeks back and simply asked 'Can i shoot in your bar please nicely please?' and I got a call saying 'Sure no problem, only when were closed though'. So 10:30 till 12:00 in the morning woo hoo!

Nice one mate, it is indeed, blogged it, up on the .com and added to the valaisija pool. Chuffties with that one but I have another more personal shoot this weekend with just on buddy and two models. I'm really looking to it, the location is a pretty swanky bar www.belge.fi, check out the kirjastobaari, looks cool! I mailed them a few weeks back and simply asked 'Can i shoot in your bar please nicely please?' and I got a call saying 'Sure no problem, only when were closed though'. So 10:30 till 12:00 in the morning woo hoo!

Looks cool mate, thats exactly what I did for my glamour shoot, if you don't ask you don't get!

Very good shot:)... great pose and lighting, the green in the dress has really come through nice and vibrant. Very good job on the background, i would not know thats been altered/changed

Hey thanks very much! (y):D(y)

Top notch, as always Tom (y) Need to get a Strobist meet set up here at some point, then someone can show me how to use all this gear I've accumulated :LOL:

Top notch, as always Tom (y) Need to get a Strobist meet set up here at some point, then someone can show me how to use all this gear I've accumulated :LOL:

Cheers Graham, If there is ever a meet, let me know, if I'm not busy and I have the petty cash for a flight I'll be right on over. (y)

Excellent work.
Amazed at what you guys achieve with all those flash things and brollies.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

At least you guys only get it on here. I have a whole childhood full of memories that will never go away. Its all his fault I tell thee. I'm amazed I'm not in a church tower somewhere with a sniper rifle picking of innocents. :|

I never realised you were American :LOL:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

At least you guys only get it on here. I have a whole childhood full of memories that will never go away. Its all his fault I tell thee. I'm amazed I'm not in a church tower somewhere with a sniper rifle picking of innocents. :|

:LOL: I recall a certain mans living the dream of being Pat Sharp the last time he was here:
2842829343_2fce4fb284_o.jpg

Do I hafta pull out the sailor boy one too? :LOL:

Tomas, you **** me off with your strobist powers.

Just hope I don't go down that route (like I've been wanting to) because your inbox will be full. :D

:LOL: I don't think there's anything to worry about mate, I'm no where near as worthy :D

Last edited:
Back