New Build

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I will be building my first computer tomorrow, just thought I would run the list of ingredients past you guys to see if I had forgotten anything or if you had any thoughts or comments on any pit falls etc?

Motherboard: Asus PT6 V2 OC Palm

Hard drivers: 3 x Western Digital RE3's 750GB, these will be raid 5

CPU: Intel i7 965 Extreme Edition

GPU: 1GB Asus GTX 285, PCI-E 2.0

PSU: 1000W Silverstone SST-ST1000NV

Case: Antec Sonarta 500

RAM: OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800C8 (1600MHZ)

Cooling: Asus Triton-88 for CPU
2 x 120 mm NOCTUA NF-S12 1200 RPM for case
1 x 40 mm MINI-KAZE for motherboard heat sink

O/S: Vista Ultimate 64 Bit

DVD Drives: 2 x Samsung SH-S223Q's DVD Drives

My goal is to have fairly quick pc with as little noise as possible!

is 1000W not an overkill ? lol
have no idea how much power it takes but 700W would more then enough ... me think:)

looks like u got a quick un but why not get another graphics card and sli it as its such a powerfull machine

WOW well that should be future proof for the next five years.:D
No solid state hard drives then?

Looked at the SSD options, I think I will get one (some) one day when the prices fall a little more, my thinking behind this is based on the fact I bought a second 10 GB hard drive for one of my first computers which was bought from PC World, that drive cost more than 2 of the 750 GB drives I have got lined up for this build, I will wait for a while till they become common enough to lower the price.

1000W psu is a slight over kill, however if I up the system to SLI with two nvidia 295 cards (which is a plan in the future) I will need a little more power........ plus the price difference is not a great deal.

As for future proof I would like to think it should keep me going for some while to come, I try to make a PC last at least that, my current PC is a Pentium 4 3.06GHZ.

Thanks for your comments!

Antec make great cases, I have one myself (p182) check the spec as I think the sonata may come with 12cm fans already, the 1000w psu as long as it's a good make will be fine especially if you plan to add a second gfx card. Does the cpu not come with it's own cooler? most retail ones do. Consider two LG BluRay dvd drives or at least one of them.

Hi Steep,

The case has one rear fan, which is a 120mm pre installed. I have chosen to fit a new one from the point of build which should run a little more silent, a few reviews have said it is good but the ones I have to fit should be better from what I have read, still real world testing is the only way to know for sure.

The i7 has a cooler which is supplied in the box, my thinking here once again was to have the option to do a little over clock in the future, the CPU is rated at 130w, the triton 88 is for 180w, so an over kill at the moment but I hope this will save time if/when an over clock happens.

The Sonata also comes with an earthwatt 500w power supply installed,

The PSU I will be fitting is one of these guys:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_spec.php?pno=st1000-nv&area=usa

You can buy a Sonata without a psu (quick code 32834 at www.aria.co.uk ) same size I think, slightly different look.

My psu's are all modular ones too, being able to use only the leads you need is a lot better for airflow.

card reader, decent sound card, e-sata/firewire IO card?

Back