I can use it properly!

Edit My Images
Yes
I dont know if some of you remember me saying that I took the plunge a few months ago buy purchasing myself the Canon 350D. I used it rarely over the last few months because I was scared I didn't know what I was doing. :shake:

That all changed today though!, Dont know if you know but Canons come with a discount slip for 'Experience Seminars' http://www.experience-seminars.co.uk so I took out the greens and went!

Well what an enjoyable day! Very fun, and well explained. When I read the manual I found some of it rather confusing as its been a LONG time since I've untaken any serious photography, but the course showed me all the basics again, giving me new found confidence in using my new toy! so much so I've booked a place on the advanced course in two weeks time! :naughty: Expect to see some shots coming soon! (I egerly await your feed back!) ;)

For anyone who has bought a 350D or even the new 400D I highly recomend booking yourself on the course! (would only really go if your REALLY rusty, like me, or a total n00b! :LOL: )

I wouldn't mind going on one of their seminars, but i'm not about to drive to the other end of the country to do it :(

I did a weekend "short course" with a pro at the start of the year, while it was good....i still came away feeling i'd missed out on bits.

A good back to basics is what I need, and then after that.....i need some help on composition

EDIT.......................oh, next year they have some dates at manc airport :)

you up for that bodders?

Sounds good to me, grab me on MSN and spell out some details for me..That site isn't the friendliest to navigate...lol

I have one of those seminar cards in front of me right now as Ive been filling out my 17-40 warrantee thingymajig & that came with it!
Im going to send the card off too as I think a course would be beneficial due to the fact that Ive been lazy getting to know my camera :embarrassed:
I only ever shoot in manual but to be honest, I still always feel as if Im just winging it!

I've added you to MSN chewy :)

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I got a card with my 30D or not :thinking:

Oh I would be would I, well yeah ok then I would be

I have one of those seminar cards in front of me right now as Ive been filling out my 17-40 warrantee thingymajig & that came with it!
Im going to send the card off too as I think a course would be beneficial due to the fact that Ive been lazy getting to know my camera :embarrassed:
I only ever shoot in manual but to be honest, I still always feel as if Im just winging it!

That's probably one of the main reasons for me doing the course, and the fact you get money off your first visit strengthens that!

I too was lazy in getting to know how to use it, if at all honest I was using the PIC modes! more embarrasingly the 'green square' mode :embarrassed: :LOL:
But now I now how to use all the creative modes better, and how to change all the AF points and AE. it was alot to take in but its starting to make alot more sense now! and i'm sure when I put it into practice it'll come more easy to me!

Chewy, if you do try to get group discount try to speak to 'Ian' he's joint owner with his wife. Some of their pictures they have around the offices are absolutely STUNNING! The Galapogas islands trip they have looks really fun, and at 3.5k for 20days is a bit outa my budget! :LOL: (plus its a 2009 trip and its all SOLD OUT! :eek: )
If you do manage to get discounts count me in on some courses! If you like, as mentioned above, i'm going back in two weeks, i could have a chat with Ian to see what/if anything can be worked out! (y)

I would be up for that, I have had my 20d for nearly 12 months and still don't feel that I have scratched the surface of what the camera is capable of. Sometimes I think I can see a nice shot but it never comes out as you expect.

Looks like there could be a fair bit of interest for a group day out in rainy manchester.

I've pasted the main points of two of the courses aimed at basic level and two of the earliest dates. It looks like the places on them are limited to 12 or 15 depending on where you are in the country so if it's a go'er bookings need to be made in good time to secure enough places for a group :)

Understanding your digital EOS

Key topics covered

* Camera menu and display explained
* PIC modes - what they do * Program mode and why to use it
* TV, AV and M mode and what they do
* Focusing modes and overrides
* Digital quality settings
* Auto white balance
* AE Lock and utilisation
* Common errors and how to correct
* Lenses and the effects they create
* Handholding speeds
* Apertures and depth of field control
* Understanding depth of field
* Shutter speeds and correct usage
* Using exposure compensation
* Understanding drive settings
* ISO speeds and when to utilise
* Utilising the built in flash (if applicable)
* Essential accessories
* Looking after your CMOS chip

Sat, 27 Jan 2007 EX7027 Manchester (Airport)
Sat, 10 Mar 2007 EX7091 Manchester (Airport)

Making the most of your EOS

Key topics covered

* Utilising focusing modes and overrides
* How EOS focusing works in detail
* Sharpening: how and why it is necessary
* Coping with difficult exposures
* Partial metering and AE lock use
* Histograms and what they mean
* Understanding metering modes
* Auto Exposure Bracketing
* Drive modes, burst rates and capture cards
* Making the most of AWB and overrides
* Colour space
* Picture styles and parameters
* Shooting in Black & White
* Custom functions explained
* RAW and JPEG in detail
* EXIF data
* Built in flash and modes
* Flash compensation
* Understanding and care of imaging sensor
* Firmware updating

Sun, 28 Jan 2007 EX7030 Manchester (Airport)
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 EX7093 Manchester (Airport)

Thoughts................................:D

I would be interested in going too, I didn't get a card with my 350D though :(

Apparently Ian was saying that Canon have only been putting their leaflets in the boxes over the last 8-9months. and they've been running the business for over 7 years! :LOL:
Thats prolly why you night not have one...

As I say they've only been putting them in quite recently.
However, now with the launch of the4 400D, they are, for want of a better word, 'discontinuing' the 350D course. Which is now being replaced by the 'Understanding your digital EOS' course. Which I think would be not as productive as a course designed for your particular camera, as you'll more than likely have a large range of models spending less time with yours an more with, say the 5D or similar... (am I making ANY sense?, some may notice I tend to bable sometimes! :LOL: )

:D Your not too late photostar..... it's still a very worthwhile course to do, but just when you go expect to be learning somethings about which your camera cant do. However saying that Ian, the owner, is rewriting the course as we speak, he said he's about half way through. And maybe they'll cover the main points of what all the Canon range can do, Creative modes, AF and WB, focusing that sorta thing. ;)
Either way I'd still do it! I can see the improvement in my pictures already! and I only went on the course last Monday! :LOL: (y)

how southern is southern though???

Back