Lee filter holder and circular polarizer question

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Apologies in advance for another filter question, I've done a search of this forum but have been unable to answer my query.

I'm just about to treat myself to a Lee filter holder and some Hitech ND grads from http://www.teamworkphoto.com/ . I would like to be able to use a circular polariser with this set up. Equipment will mainly be a Canon 1Ds MkII and a 17-40L. As I understand it my 2 options are to

1. Buy the foundation kit and attach a 105mm screw-in CP via the 105mm front ring to the holder adapter ring

or

2. Buy the professional kit and use a 100mm x 100m square CP

Initially I would like to know, have I got these options right or is there another option? Which option is better? If a 105 screw in polarizer is best which one would be recommended, brands, coatings, slim fit etc?

Thanks for your help

Eisbar

Hi. The advantage of using a round polariser is that you can independantly rotate it from the grads. This allows you to get the grad in the best position, whilst still allowing the polar to be rotated seperately to get the right polar result.

Got a 105mm Lee CPL off eBay yesterday for the low low price of £122 delivered - cheaper than any other 105mm CPL I could find in a shop.

If you are getting a foundation kit you really could use with the 105mm ring as it allows independent rotation as Intamtic said . The other option if the pro/upgrade kit which has two holders (each holding 1-4 filters) that can rotate seperately but that seams like a faff to me

The other option if the pro/upgrade kit which has two holders (each holding 1-4 filters) that can rotate seperately but that seams like a faff to me

It seems like a faff to me as well. Just wondered if anybody had any practical experience of using this set up as it works out at about £100 cheaper.

I use the 105mm adapter ring and Heliopan too...

This one here

The Heliopan is one classy bit of kit and probably the highest quality 'thing' I own photographically. It weighs a ton for what it is.

You don't absolutely need filter holders, etc.

Just use an ordinary (circular) polariser on the end of your lens. Hold the ND grad gently but firmly against it when using them in combination. It's easy to do with a tripod and possible without.

Ahh, you don't know me then. I've got all the manual dexterity of a hippo on roller skates and the finesse and delicate touch of a blacksmith. I think a holder would be best:D

Which 105mm Heliopan CP did you opt for?

I can't find the one I went for. I can't even remember the retailer I got it from. I went for it for two reasons. Joe Cornish uses one. Also the Heliopan is slightly thiner than the Lee than the Lee to reduce the change of vignetting at extreme wide angles. If I could have afforded the B&W polariser, I would have gone for that.

Ditto same question. Which CPL did you opt for?

I got the b&w ksm cpl as of was recomended to me by the very knoledgable people at Robert whites in Poole. They were not the cheapest place but I was willing to pay that bit extra for the customer service and knowledge that they also supply.

Ok. The general consensus is a front mounting 105mm CP.

Do I need to look into a slim CP to reduce vignetting? What exactly is the "Kasemann" bit about? Looking around it appears to be a weather sealant coating but does affect the image quality at all? I'm likely to use this on the beaches in Cornwall a reasonable amount, so is the Kasemann filter recommended?

Cheers

Eisbar

What exactly is the "Kasemann" bit about?

I think Kasemann is some german(?) supremo optic manufacturer?

My CPL is the std Heliopan one... I didn't opt for the slim, but do get quite severe vignetting with the 17-40 and three slots on the holder. I keep on meaning to slim it down to just one slot to see how good that is. In fact, I might do it tonite I think. :)

I think Kasemann is some german(?) supremo optic manufacturer?

My CPL is the std Heliopan one... I didn't opt for the slim, but do get quite severe vignetting with the 17-40 and three slots on the holder. I keep on meaning to slim it down to just one slot to see how good that is. In fact, I might do it tonite I think. :)

I would be grateful if you would and report back the results please(y)

I would be grateful if you would and report back the results please(y)

Excuse the pic, just pointed at the sky and tried not to get the house in frame...

Lee holder with single slot fitted, 105 adapter ring and Heliopan standard 105mm polarizer. Canon 5D, 17-40 at 17mm, f/4, MF infinity.

IMG_0592.jpg

I was running 3 slots, but have just stripped it back to a single one. Wish I'd done it months ago now!

Ok. The general consensus is a front mounting 105mm CP.

Do I need to look into a slim CP to reduce vignetting? What exactly is the "Kasemann" bit about? Looking around it appears to be a weather sealant coating but does affect the image quality at all? I'm likely to use this on the beaches in Cornwall a reasonable amount, so is the Kasemann filter recommended?

Cheers

Eisbar

off of b+w website

Anything can be improved – even Kaesemann circular pol filters. B+W was successful in combining Kaesemann circular pol filters with MRC coating technology. Kaesemann pol filters are comprised of particularly ultra-efficient, neutral-color polarization films between specially ground and polished cover glass. This expensive manufacturing process produces filters that create more clearly focused and color-neutral photographs than conventional pol filters. The additional MRC coating amplifies this effect by means of several ultra-thin, anti-reflective coatings. The coating additionally protects the cover glass against dirt, keeps them from being easily scratched, and facilitates cleaning.

Only circular models of MRC-coated Kaesemann circular pol filters are available at the present time in new F-Pro standard holders with diameters of up to 77 mm. Preparations are in progress for larger diameters (up to 95 mm).

not that the 105mm cpl does not have the MRC coating. with the foundation kit as standard I get a small amount of vignetting at 10mm on my sigma 10-20 but when I hit 12mm I loose it. I will try and get a photo up over the weekend, if I get a chance.

Excuse the pic, just pointed at the sky and tried not to get the house in frame...

Lee holder with single slot fitted, 105 adapter ring and Heliopan standard 105mm polarizer. Canon 5D, 17-40 at 17mm, f/4, MF infinity.

IMG_0592.jpg

Cheers for that:ty:

Potentially saved a few bob

Cheers for that:ty:

Potentially saved a few bob

Old thread revival, well at least I can't be accused of not using the search facility! :)

What system did you end up going for? I am thinking of going down the B+W & Lee system route also.

Back