Cas

Name
Adele
Edit My Images
Yes
Following on from this thread Christine brought in her friend with her Cas, she has not been in front of a professional camera before, and she was very nervous. We managed to talk her into doing some photographs because she is a very pretty girl. I’m sure she’ll be happy with what we managed to get.

3450516964_141816cb52_o.jpg

3449769637_268fe92b8b_o.jpg

3450671414_20282182e2_o.jpg

3449949125_e3a1e99d94_o.jpg

3450882514_009c6aaf1b_o.jpg

3450301417_10a39188e6_o.jpg

3451208084_3678c866b3_o.jpg

3450434065_d58c40bff0_o.jpg

3450484695_e036c90b0c_o.jpg

Thanks for looking guys.

lol

i was just looking at these again dell

i was supprissed it had no replys

i quite like some of the close head shots the framing is good . i like th dark one .

md(y)

honest i was just about to reply:LOL:

I have put one up tonight no replies as yet, anyway on to your set they are all good but to me number 4 stands out I dont really know why! she looks relaxed, I love the crop and black and white (y)

:LOL::LOL: You HONEST about that MD?
You looked at the other ones too? :LOL::LOL:

yes i have :D

i may comment one day also :LOL:

md;)

i like to watch sometimes and see what everyone else says it can be very interesting imho(y)

The best of these for me is No3, with perhaps a tighter crop on the left? It's an ambitious shot which so nearly comes off, but the large featureless shadow area on the left does rather dominate.

I always use "wide angle" and zoom 18-70 for kids, Primes arent always the "best" depending on size of the studio etc
And I like the harshshadows, thats why they were taken like this, i do understand the relevance and why a reflector would have worked to change the shot.

well set your zoom to 70mm until you can afford a prime, or better still swap it for one (even 50/1.8 at f/4 would do great job). Your client may not understand the technical details, but may not be ultimately pleased because it simply doesn't click. I am just giving a friendly advise. All the best.

btw. kids also go best with 50/1.4 wide open or 85/1.4 since you use Nikon. 200/2.8 is well worth it if you don't want to scare them too much.

This will in fact reduce your maximum needed background size.

well set your zoom to 70mm until you can afford a prime, or better still swap it for one (even 50/1.8 at f/4 would do great job). Your client may not understand the technical details, but may not be ultimately pleased because it simply doesn't click. I am just giving a friendly advise. All the best.

I never said I couldnt afford a prime - I said in some instances that it isnt always the best to shoot on a prime. For instance size of studio spaces etc, means that sometimes primes just arent that workable.
I know you are giving friendly advice, and I do understand where you are coming from, and the "arguement" has been done time and time again.

Many people use the 24-70 f2.8 for portraits, or Nikon based, depending on side of studio, and especially when shooting children we use the Nikon 18-70mm

I have yet to have a client complain about the quality of the images they have recieved from not using a prime lens.

btw. kids also go best with 50/1.4 wide open or 85/1.4 since you use Nikon. 200/2.8 is well worth it if you don't want to scare them too much.

This will in fact reduce your maximum needed background size.

As already stated, studio SIZE is an actual issue, and what did you mean regarding, reduce your maximum needed background size?

As already stated, studio SIZE is an actual issue, and what did you mean regarding, reduce your maximum needed background size?

http://software.canon-europe.com/files/documents/EF_Lens_Work_Book_7_EN.pdf
page 127 explains it quite well. Wideangle sees wide area behind the subject, and tele - narrow, at the same magnification.

I don't know how large your studio is, but hopefully for full length senior portrait you should have a least some 7-10m length (width is not very important). For headshots, any normal bedroom can do, in fact.

Yeah, I am aware of the differences between wide and telephoto, and why people say you should always shoot primes. However, the studio is also not designed to shoot senior portaits, because I know and so does diddydave, that it isnt "big enough" for senior portraits. It is designed for shooting kids, however with our 18-70mm lens - again, no complaints regarding the issue. And he's been doing it for years!

I know you are being helpful and you have merit in whats being said. I am also just stating that sometimes rules can be broken without them being "wrong"
I just feel I need to say that I'm not being nasty or saying you dont know what your talking about, just that in certain circumstances things just dont have the ability to work "by the book"

I, as second shooter, at weddings, shoot most of my images on a prime lens - so I do know the advantages that are possessed from them :)

Love number 9 and number 2, it the eyes that do it for me.
I also like the shadow on number 4.

I really like no4, and the second one, love the eye contact.

I think these and the other set, they are interesting,and it is good to break the rules!

Yep, rules are to be broken, and I think with photography, you need to find your own style:D Still waiting to find mine:LOL::LOL::LOL:x

I do like the break rules, how can you find your style if you follow everyone else?

I love quotes like this. It's very inspiring :)

I'm an amateur so i hope you don't mind me commenting but i like the shoot :)

2 and 4 are superb (y)
My least favourite is 8. I can see what the intention is but there's not enough detail in the face for me.
9 is different to the others and many people would have cropped but i like how you've used the space. It would be a great editorial :)

I love quotes like this. It's very inspiring :)

I'm an amateur so i hope you don't mind me commenting but i like the shoot :)

2 and 4 are superb (y)
My least favourite is 8. I can see what the intention is but there's not enough detail in the face for me.
9 is different to the others and many people would have cropped but i like how you've used the space. It would be a great editorial :)

Dont worry, I'm glad you commented, we all start somewhere, and this is the first time I have really tried, this type of shoot, with the lighthing like I have used.

I really liked number 8 - but it is one of these things that people will or will not like it :LOL:

Maybe you should you some reflectors to eliminate harsh shadows, and never use wideangle lens for people. 100mm is quite nice for that for example.

Isn't this just about the same post as on the other thread? :thinking:

You appear to have a boring approach to portraiture with your comments on both

Never use a wideangle lens for people is male-dangly-bits IMO

Dare to be different, which isn't that different at all if you like arty fashion shots which funnily enough use harsh lighting and wideangles often too

Each to their own eh (y)

DD

Well said DD. Someone here seems to have a very narrow minded approach to photography and is afraid to break the rules to progress.

I like all these Del - except number 6. Something about the lighting didn't work in that one but I love the rest.

Perhaps you should have another go but use a 10mm next time ;)

Isn't this just about the same post as on the other thread? :thinking:

You appear to have a boring approach to portraiture with your comments on both

Never use a wideangle lens for people is male-dangly-bits IMO

Dare to be different, which isn't that different at all if you like arty fashion shots which funnily enough use harsh lighting and wideangles often too

Each to their own eh (y)

DD

:LOL: I read that as never use wideangle lens for people especially male dangly bits :LOL:

Well said DD. Someone here seems to have a very narrow minded approach to photography and is afraid to break the rules to progress.

I like all these Del - except number 6. Something about the lighting didn't work in that one but I love the rest.

Perhaps you should have another go but use a 10mm next time ;)

I know what you mean about NO 6 Andy - I liked it when I did it but the more I look at it the more I dont like it.
The problem is, If i put most of these into a competition for my camera club - they'd bomb, because people there can be very narrowminded. :LOL: However, I'm doing a presentation night in November - they'll think either "wow" or "that was pants" :LOL:

agree with the above, like all aprt from number 6, he lighting looks a bit off to me, but great set otherwise.

with regard to the no wideangles for portraits, i understand where hes coming from. using certain focal lengths can make for attractive portraits (somewhere between 70-150mm ish tends to be good) others tend to flatten features and not give the same sort of punch, although i think in a studio setting compression of background is largely irrelevent. either way its not as black and white as that. theres nothing wrong with breaking the 'rules'. its the end product that matters. clients certainly dont care how you get there!

What is more important Del is that you enjoy experimenting and ushing bounderies and the models are happy with the result. Ultimately what other people think doesn't matter.

Well what I think does matter of course ;)

agree with the above, like all aprt from number 6, he lighting looks a bit off to me, but great set otherwise.

with regard to the no wideangles for portraits, i understand where hes coming from. using certain focal lengths can make for attractive portraits (somewhere between 70-150mm ish tends to be good) others tend to flatten features and not give the same sort of punch, although i think in a studio setting compression of background is largely irrelevent. either way its not as black and white as that. theres nothing wrong with breaking the 'rules'. its the end product that matters. clients certainly dont care how you get there!

A lot of the time with studio work, especially if you quickly want to go from full length to head and shoulders unless you have a large enough studio that EVERYTHING is taken at between 70-150mm - however how many people use 50mm to take portraits?

My friend has been looking at these who I work with and she's commented that she's used to seeing things "like this" due to her reading vogue and other fashion magazines. She thinks they're "really good" and it is just thinking outside the box that produces other results.

Well done for trying something different Del, and for a nervous model think you got some lovely shots with 4 and 9 being my favourites.

Lee

Back