Lindsey and Jamie - Outdoor Portraits

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Lindsey is my sister and her husband Jamie wanted a couple of portrait shots done of them as they have now been married for coming up to two years. As I am trying to get more and more into portraits and wedding photography, this was a prime opportunity to get some more experience and expand my portfolio.

I thought I would post them and see what people's thoughts of them were so tough comments and critique is most welcome.

Their original wedding was shot by Duncan Kerridge (WeddingHack) and so I have a near impossible job of breaking his photographic dominance around their house!!!!!

Thanks for looking.

Linds_Jamie.jpg

Linds_Jamie_1_.jpg

Linds_Jamie_2_.jpg

Linds_Jamie_3_.jpg

Linds_Jamie_4_.jpg

Linds_Jamie_5_.jpg

Linds_Jamie_6_.jpg

Linds_Jamie_9_.jpg

Linds_Jamie_10_.jpg

This is a great set, my own fave is no3, great natural feel to the set . xxx

Nicely shot & processed - but you really need to watch your backgrounds a bit more as you have branches, pipes and flowers growing out of their heads; shooting a few seconds later/before or moving just a couple of feet to either side would probably have solved those issues

Good luck

DD

Fantastic set of shots.

My only gripe is the out close up (out of focus) foliage in shots 4 & 7.

That's actually a common Wedding/Portrait technique of 'shooting through' things to add effect - not an error as such

WeddingHack, who's been referred to already, uses that technique a lot

Nothing wrong with not liking it though - personal preference n' all

:)

DD

That's actually a common Wedding/Portrait technique of 'shooting through' things to add effect - not an error as such

WeddingHack, who's been referred to already, uses that technique a lot

Nothing wrong with not liking it though - personal preference n' all

:)

DD

As you say Dave it is a proven technique, I wasn't pointing out an error.

Just not my cup of tea. Would be boring if we all liked the same thing!

As you say Dave it is a proven technique, I wasn't pointing out an error.

Just not my cup of tea. Would be boring if we all liked the same thing!

Indeed it would be boring

I appreciate many on here would see it as not being an error, but also many wouldn't know - so my comment was for clarification that I suspect it was an intentional effect the OP looked for; that you don't like it is of course perfectly fine too

(y)

DD

Very impressed with these portraits, I like the use of both the models even on the pics that focus mainly on the individuals.

Great work!

Thanks very much

This is a great set, my own fave is no3, great natural feel to the set . xxx

Thanks

Nicely shot & processed - but you really need to watch your backgrounds a bit more as you have branches, pipes and flowers growing out of their heads; shooting a few seconds later/before or moving just a couple of feet to either side would probably have solved those issues

Good luck

DD

I only noticed the down pipes when I got home and started processing them :bang: and have now noticed the flower on Jamie's head :bang: :bang: Will learn for next time!!!!!

Fantastic set of shots.

I agree, these shots are strong enough without these :clap:

I did wonder about these type of shots, I really like them, but maybe think they would be more suited to wedding day shots, when you are trying to suggest the photojournalistic style, rather than these which are a little bit more staged!

nice set!

i like no.3.

very good and I'd be happy with a set like this. was there much processing done to these?

i think no.9 in b&w would be a good effect?

No. 3 and 9. i'm pretty sure any couple would be happy with those shots.

I like them, though agree with DD that there's a few with pipes/branches/flowers coming out of heads etc.

Having said that, my fav in this set is the last one... very nice indeed and I'd be happy with having taken such a shot.

nice set. But if you're looking for a critique...

The composition on 1 and 2 could be improved.

On 1 the space above them is a bit big and you've cropped them at the knees, whereas mid thigh or mid calf would probably look a bit nicer (general rule - therefore feel free to ignore it - is to not chop off at joints)

On 2 you've just chopped through the hands - otherwise fine.

As I say though, nice set, and like many 3 is my fave

nice set!

i like no.3.

very good and I'd be happy with a set like this. was there much processing done to these?

i think no.9 in b&w would be a good effect?

Not a huge amount to be honest. They have all had a slight exposure and white balance tweak in lightroom and then a high pass sharpen, vignette and levels check in photoshop.

Lovely set of shots here

Thanks

No. 3 and 9. i'm pretty sure any couple would be happy with those shots.

Thank you - I am waiting to hear if they like them

I like them, though agree with DD that there's a few with pipes/branches/flowers coming out of heads etc.

Having said that, my fav in this set is the last one... very nice indeed and I'd be happy with having taken such a shot.

Thanks - another thing to remember - suppose you've just got to stay calm and do your mental checks!!!!

Nice set, esp. 7 & 9

Thanks

nice set. But if you're looking for a critique...

The composition on 1 and 2 could be improved.

On 1 the space above them is a bit big and you've cropped them at the knees, whereas mid thigh or mid calf would probably look a bit nicer (general rule - therefore feel free to ignore it - is to not chop off at joints)

On 2 you've just chopped through the hands - otherwise fine.

As I say though, nice set, and like many 3 is my fave

Thanks for the comments, I have never heard about the rule about chopping off at joints, but they say you learn something new everyday (y) thanks for the critique, it is most welcome.

Good series (apart from No1 with that distracting tree), 2&3 & 9 are my pick.

I have looked at these a few times. and i do like what i see.(y)
You have done very well with the colours and processing. If you had framed a few slightly better and watched a few others for the b/g this would have been a very very good set..
That said if you get the chance to do them again " i mean do some more" then if you put these things into place with all the things you have right . I am sure it will be a belting set ....:clap:

all imho

md(y)

Good natural set of shots - I cant add any further to the points raised above.

I'm sure the couple will be pleased with them.

These are fantastic. I really love them all. Am bookmarking this thread so I can return to it to borrow some of the poses. :)

Good series (apart from No1 with that distracting tree), 2&3 & 9 are my pick.

Thanks

I have looked at these a few times. and i do like what i see.(y)
You have done very well with the colours and processing. If you had framed a few slightly better and watched a few others for the b/g this would have been a very very good set..
That said if you get the chance to do them again " i mean do some more" then if you put these things into place with all the things you have right . I am sure it will be a belting set ....:clap:

all imho

md(y)

Thanks Dave - I have another couple booked in for the weekend if the weather is reasonable, guess what will be top of my composition check list!!! :LOL:

Very nice set of shots night lighting and nice smiles too :)

Thank you

Good natural set of shots - I cant add any further to the points raised above.

I'm sure the couple will be pleased with them.

Still waiting to hear, but hopefully they will be happy, if not, being my sister I'll give her a chinese burn or some other infantile brother to sister punishment!!! :p

These are fantastic. I really love them all. Am bookmarking this thread so I can return to it to borrow some of the poses. :)

Thanks Tom - I've never had anyone bookmark me before :woot: remember to post your shots

LOVE 3! but the branches in 4 don't really work for me. and it was such a nice pose too! :( but a lovely set nevertheless.

Back