GND filters

Edit My Images
No
I have been reading a lot on GND filters as of late and I want to give them a try but as I am only trying I don't want to spend the earth.

From what I have read on here the cheap but effective setup seems to be a Cokin P series Wide filter holder (for my 77mm lens) and some Hitech hard/soft filter sets (hitech are true ND and no colour effect).

My questions are:

1. Is this all I need to get going?

- Cokin P series Wide filter holder
- Hitech Filter 85 set hard or soft
- Cokin adapter for my size of lens to holder

2. With the Cokin filter holder once it is attached to the lens and you have your filter in. Can you rotate it?

3. Is there a good reputable UK based online dealer that does both the Cokin holder and the Hitech filters? The only places I have found either stock one or the other and I would rather get both from the same place.

I understand the Lee filter setups are of a much higher standard and if I like what GND has to offer I may go down this path in the future. For the time being I just want a setup that works.

Thanks

1. Yes but if you're shooting wide angle on a full frame, the HiTech filters will intrude into the frame.
2. Yes that's half the fun in experimenting.
3. HiTechs from: http://www.teamworkphoto.com/hitech.html - bought HiTechs and then Lees from them - 10/10. Edit: not sure if you'll find a place that sells both Cokin and HiTech. I found the Cokin P holder a little tight for the HiTechs - might be best to get a HiTech holder?

Do a search or ask your local photo shop for Kood filters. They are cheaper than the Hitech by a couple of quid a shot and a perfect fit in the Cokin holder. I'm using their grads and full ND's and pleased with the results.

Wow love the prices on those Kood filters and holders but arn't they graduated Grey rather than true ND.

Am I being too fussy here?

Sorry - my mistake. Not sure if there is any difference between Graduated Gray or ND Graduated... On the face of it, I wouldn't have said so...

Apparently grey can leave a colour cast, ND are designed not to.....

If I'm going to get myself the Sigma 12-24mm I'm going to need to re-think the question of filters I guess. It's got a stupidly large filter-thread apparently!

82mm on the 12-24mm - not a small one!
Also because of the protrusion of the front element you will probably need to go for a filter system capable of the ultrawides.

Any reason why you choose the sigma 12-24 over the Tokina?

re: filters. I use the lee system now because of the ND grads. Witch described what I saw with the grey grad - there was a colour case / dulling of tones with the grey grad. Now I use an ND :)

I'll be honest - I've not really read up on the Tokina equivalent at all......might go and do so now. I want to end up with a lens which will be a genuine wide angle on the 30D, but will also work on the D30 for the other half, and eventually as a super-wide on a 1DMk2N.......I've decided to go for the L glass on the lens I'll get the most use out of (70-200f2.8) and then the more budget brands on the other lenses I'm after.

Ta for the info.

I want to end up with a lens which will be a genuine wide angle on the 30D, but will also work on the D30 for the other half,/QUOTE]

Might be a stupid question but, a 30D is Canon, isn't a D30 Nikon. Different mounts don't they have :thinking:

The D30 is one of the earlier generation of Canon DSLR's - doesn't accept digital only lenses! ;)

The D30 is one of the earlier generation of Canon DSLR's - doesn't accept digital only lenses! ;)

It does, just no EF-S lenses. Digital only lenses from other manufacturers work fine on all the canon 1.6 crop bodies.
I know of someone who used the Toki on a 1dMkII from 15mm onwards without issue - although unless you plan on buying the 1D in the near future I would get the lenses that are best for you now :)
The Toki I know holds it's price very well...

Back