Lightweight Tripod

Edit My Images
Yes
Now I know this topic has been done to death but I have a few more specific questions.

At the moment I am using a 055pro and 604RC2 (I think) but for walking it is way to heavy (coming in at around 3.4kg!), as I am going to do a lot of multiday walking photo trips in the near future (and aeroplane travel, where the weight and size of my existing kit is a pain) I want something lighter for this.

Unfortunately (unless second hand prices are good?) I can't afford a Gitzo and preferably don't want to spend more than £70-80. This leaves me with a couple of options as I see it, the Velbon Ultra Luxi F (ironically the tripod I was going to get instead of the 055), but it isn't made any more, or the Manfrotto 785 Modo Maxi.

With regards to the Modo Maxi, having looked at it in Jessops, it is not too stable fully extended, but appears ok when only half extended. Fully extended it appears it's not able to take my kit either (I will be taking the 12-24, 24-70 and 300 f/4), but I was wondering if not fully extended it would hold the weight (around 1.8kg)? If that is the case, is it likely I could remove the bottom 1 or 2 leg sections?

The tripod needs to be light, (around 1-1.5kg max really), smallish folded up, have a bag/weight attachment for extra stability and reasonably cheap (!). On the plus side I can live with a short tripod, in fact as it will only be used for landscape, and long exposure night scenes (need to get a monopod for wildlife, again lightweight) I can live with something less than a metre at maximum extent I think (just so I can kneel down to look at the viewfinder and not have to stick my head on the floor).

Thanks

The original questions still stand, but I have seen a Gitzo G1098 going "cheap" and was wondering it it was any good? The max load is 2kg which seems pecareously close to the weight of the 400D + 300 f/4, having said that it's unlikely I will use that setup on the tripod. Anyone have any opinions?

Thanks

would the redsnapper not fit the bill?
not the carbon one, of course

I did wonder about that, but it again really it's too heavy (and big), it's only a little bit lighter than the 055, unless I look at the carbon one which is too expensive.

I've got the 190XPROB also, but it weighs 2.2kg with the head... not what I'd class as lightweight by any means.

The Manfrotto 785 you mentioned looks like a better bet - and just because they state a max weight I wouldn't think your camera is going to end up in pieces on the ground if you go over it, as long as it's not over by kg's...

Yeah, that's what I assume, and with long exposure shots I will be weighing it down a little anyway. Just stability is the issue.

I'm guessing if I can get the Gitzo G1098 it will be the better bet out of the Modo or it? Any problem with getting carbon fibre tripods used?

Right, well I couldn't get the Gitzo G1098 in th end, it went for slightly more than I was willing to pay. So the question still stands, any suggestions other than the Modo (is it strong enough for my kit) for a light, small tripod?

Thanks

I had a similar quest recently after the velbon I had died... I'd used it a bit but the plastic part of the centre column holder release cracked and it was just impossible to use... Also it did have stability issues and was maybe a tripod just too small for my requirements....

I spent ages looking and went through all the hoops you seem to be going through.

My wory with the manfrotto was always its stability... very similar to the velbon and I wanted a step up in stability!

I finally ended up buying a SILK AM340... It comes with a good pan and tilt head but quite bulky for travel... so went for the manfrotto ball and socket head... I cant remeber the no exactly off the top of my head but sure its an RC 864??? I find it a great travel combination... light but steady... with lots of options...

Since then my fiancee has bought the manfrotto tripod and it is a great wee tripod... not steady enough for my 5d and 24-105 but for a her 450d with 18-55 and 70-300 its perfect! And the joystick head is quite unusial and easy to use!

But the SILK is the one for me... great solid metal construction... I just feel plastic does not work for tripods after the velbon failure!

Could you provide a link to the Slik as I can't seem to find one. How much does it weigh?

Which model? I have had a look at some of them but couldn't really find any that suited my needs for a price I could pay. :)

There seems to be a distinct lack of short reach tripods designed for a reasonable load (discounting Gitzo that has millions! :LOL:), there seems to be the choice between the full size ones or really light ones like the modo and gorilla pod. I guess there isn't a huge market for them?

Just to throw my bit of limited experience into the hat - I have, make that had the 785, and it was not very stable even with my D50, but one of the plastic clips on the legs broke, rendering it useless.
I would'nt complain about it normally, but the tripod had very little use and I wasn't too heavy handed with it.

I've since brought a Redsnapper - which is much more stable and rugged - but is not ideal for travelling as I recently found out:)

Those Slik tripods look good valve I'd say.

I've been using the velbon ultra maxi L for a wee while now and I can walk around with it all day and I have no complaints about stability.

joe

Markelliot, thanks for the link, but it's still a little too heavy. :)
The modo looks like it is out too.

Chewyuk, I finally found the Giottos, don't know how I missed them the first time... There are a couple that look like they suit the bill nicely. The MT8246B looks good, but at £200 more than I want to pay, however the MT9241B looks cheap enough for my needs, although a little heavier than I wanted. What I did find on ebay though was the GB1060 for only £50 wwith head (and £25 without), although it does only extend to 46cm, I think a little too short.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the models listed?

I've got a Modo Maxi. The weight issue isn't what the tripod will support, but how much weight the grip ball head on it will. The tripod is nice and light, folds up very small, works well at short leg lengths, but the head will just/won't just grip with a 50D plus 24-105 lens. Works OK with a 400D with kit lens or with the 10-22mm.

The head is fixed, which is a shame, so you can't remove it - unless someone knows different.

Having said all that - I took this shot in a local churchyard with my 40D, 24-105, 76 sec exposure

92971190.jpg

What I did find on ebay though was the GB1060 for only £50 wwith head (and £25 without), although it does only extend to 46cm, I think a little too short.

I have a GB1060 and would happily highly recommend it. It's beautifully made and lightweight, yet has a good solid feel to it. I've used it for landscapes and don't personally find it too short, but you can only really make a personal judgement about that. You don't have to buy one on ebay incidentally - see here (with reviews) on Amazon also sell it from a company call Avides, who will deliver within a couple of days, also for 25quid.

Thanks guys :)

Without a removable head the Modo sounds a bit problematic (I was probably going to replace it especially if it wasn't too secure). I'm going to use it for long exposure shots (30+mins) so a loose head would be a problem.

aberal, the only reason I think it may be too short is because for night sky shots it would be tempted to say I would end up having to stick my head to the ground to see up the viewfinder (something I didn't want to do). Having said that your experience sounds promising so i'll definately look into it more, especially as it is just £25, and adding a lightweight ball head I could get a full system at around 1kg.

I was wondering about pairing it with either the Manfrotto 484RC2 Mini Ball Head or the Giottos MH7002-652 Series 1 Ball Head, and interchanging it with a monopod. I assume the Manfrotto 482 Micro Ball Head is probably going to be a bit too small for a 300 f/4?

I'm going to head to jessops, no doubt they won't have it but you never know, they may have something...

It's about 0.5kg lighter when you replace the pan and tilt head with the ball and socket one! Just incase that makes a difference!

Markelliot, thanks for the link, but it's still a little too heavy. :)
The modo looks like it is out too.

Chewyuk, I finally found the Giottos, don't know how I missed them the first time... There are a couple that look like they suit the bill nicely. The MT8246B looks good, but at £200 more than I want to pay, however the MT9241B looks cheap enough for my needs, although a little heavier than I wanted. What I did find on ebay though was the GB1060 for only £50 wwith head (and £25 without), although it does only extend to 46cm, I think a little too short.

I was wondering about pairing it with either the Manfrotto 484RC2 Mini Ball Head or the Giottos MH7002-652 Series 1 Ball Head, and interchanging it with a monopod. I assume the Manfrotto 482 Micro Ball Head is probably going to be a bit too small for a 300 f/4?

I'm going to head to jessops, no doubt they won't have it but you never know, they may have something...

I don't think Jessops sell them, but I could be wrong. I use mine with the Giottos MH7002-652 Series 1 Ball Head which I also use on the full size tripod.

Cheap; Stable; Light.

Pick any two, it's doubtful you will get all three.

Jessops tend to be quite pricey BTW... I've always found Morris Photo good for tripods!

M

Cheap; Stable; Light.

Pick any two, it's doubtful you will get all three.

Thanks for the help, although I would be inclined to disagree with that, it all depends what your definition of cheap is, and how big you want your tripod, as there seems to be quite a selection of all three in this thread.:)

Jessops tend to be quite pricey BTW... I've always found Morris Photo good for tripods!

M

Who buys from Jessops?;)

And no they didn't have it, not that I was expecting them to, in fact all they had was a 190xpro and a couple of cheap velbons and own brand ones. That and they didn't have an 85 f/1.8, 50 f/1.4 or a 35mm prime either. And they wonder why they are struggling...:wacky:

It's about 0.5kg lighter when you replace the pan and tilt head with the ball and socket one! Just incase that makes a difference!

Ah ok, i'll keep that on the list then.:)

I don't think Jessops sell them, but I could be wrong. I use mine with the Giottos MH7002-652 Series 1 Ball Head which I also use on the full size tripod.

Thanks, it's good to know it will stand the weight.:)

As I've said if you get the chance try give the velbon ultra maxi a play with, (think jacobs keep them) you may be impressed and £60 online ain't bad.

joe

Right, I've just ordered the Giottos GB1060 and the Manfrotto 484RC2 from Amazon. I'll let you lot know what I think of it when it arrives in a few days. If it's a little small it may find it's way into the classified section here and i'll have a look at the slightly taller options.

Now all that remains is to find a lightweight monopod for my 300 f/4, any suggestions? :)

Right, well the tripod (and a Giottos monopod) arrived about a week or so ago so i'll just do a mini review of it after a couple of days use.

The tripod is pretty light (obviously) and with the legs at their highest setting at the smallest angle they really aren't that steady at all, however if you fully extend the legs and put them at the medium angle the tripod is rock steady, with no movement at all, and easily capable of holding a DSLR and reasonably large lens (in this case the 24-70 @~800g).

My standard setup is with the legs fully extended at the medium angle, with the centre column fully up, this give a stable base (the centre column doesn't appear to move, due to its shortness) with a reasonable height (although a little taller would have been good, you do still have to kneel down to look through the viewfinder).

I was using it with a Manfrotto 484RC2 ball head, which has just enough grip to hold a 300 f/4 and ball head and tripod weighs in at around the 1kg mark. It's not going to replace my 055pro but for those trips where either I have a long walk or I probably won't need a tripod, but "just in case" it will be used (it fits easily into a normal 20L backpack).

After a little bit more use I'll hopefully stick a longer review in, with some pictures, but at the moment anyone looking for a CHEAP, small lightweight tripod this looks like the way to go. :)

TBH none of them are particularly light, especially not the red snapper or the Slik. What do you want from the tripod? I only got a stupidly light one as I am going to be carrying it for days at a time. Essentially the heavier the tripod the better as they will be more stable, however heavier to carry long distances. I would also have a look at the 190x Manfrotto tripod, probably better than the redsnapper, although slightly more expensive and the same weight.

Also can you deal with a low maximum height, how big/small do you want it folded up (is this very important), what will you be using it for?

Also can you deal with a low maximum height, how big/small do you want it folded up (is this very important), what will you be using it for?
Yes you are right, probbaly my first concern is the weight, I don't want to transform a lovely walk in hard phisical excercise. I know that for stability that is not very good!
What about a monopod?
How many stops can I reduce with a monopod?

james, that is heavy, thanks anyway

Just for semi occasional use? If so the tripod I got may be of some use (as long as you don't mind kneeling to compose photos and realise that shots over walls and the like are impossible :LOL:)? Only £25 for the tripod and £35 for the head, and weighing in at around 1kg?

Monopod wise I think it's about 2 stops, although you have to know how to use it (I've only used mine a couple of times and struggle with one stop at the moment). Have a look on ebay too, you may find a used Gitzo tripod going reasonably cheap, I saw the one in the second post on there and it eventually went for £112.

Just for semi occasional use? If so the tripod I got may be of some use (as long as you don't mind kneeling to compose photos and realise that shots over walls and the like are impossible :LOL:)? Only £25 for the tripod and £35 for the head, and weighing in at around 1kg?

which one is it?

To summarize:
Cullmann 1363g (difference) £103
Velbon 1750g (+ 400g) £75/85
Slik 2030g (+ 280g) £99
Redsnapper 2630 (+600g) £75

I also found the MK1 looks good, weights only 750 grams, max load 3,011 kg, Maximum Operating Height: approx 135cm, Folded Length: 51.5cm (a little long, but is ok), but why costs only £25? which is the downside?

Back