Lightroom Issue

Name
Doug
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

When I put the memory card in Lightroom automatically imports the pictures and I can browse through them which is fine.

The problem comes from the pictures look good initially but then one by one they almost get processed or have some settings applied to them and they go darker and different. Its almost as though lightroom has some 'default' settings that it applies to all images that it imports. Maybe its down to the histogram readings? It edits the pictures so nothing is over the max in the histogram?

I'm really at a loss as I think "Wow that turned out really well!" untill LR does its magic on it and turns it darker etc :thinking:

I am running Vista 64 and have Photoshop CS4 fully updated including cameraraw 5.3 plugin. Can you download a default Nikon D60 profile for LR and PS?

Any help is much appreciated, I have tried google but could not find out any answers.

Regards,

The 'good' picture that you are initially seeing is one based on the camera's jpg setting. After a few seconds, LR ignores this and reverts to the jpg within the raw itself, which has no settings or processing applied. You can't alter or disable this process.

To illustrate it further, set your camera to monochrome and take a picture - raw + jpg. Import them in to LR. Initially you will see two B&W pictures. Then, after a few seconds, one of them will turn in to colour. This is the raw, now ignoring your camera settings, whilst the jpg remains B&W.

The idea behind raw is to give you unprocessed files with the maximum amount of information available. It's up to you to adjust them to give you the image that you want (within limits of course). You can do them all independently, or apply the same settings to a whole batch. Or learn about presets and use them. I tend to use the copy function, then paste to subsequent photos individually, adjusting as required. You then produce jpgs from them as you wish. So, if you take raw+jpg in camera and you're happy with the jpg result then you don't need to process a raw.

Ahhhhh ok.

Are there ways to 'plugin' the D60's JPEG settings to LR and PS?

With Lightroom2.3 you can now download "Camera Styles".if you don't already have them loaded.

Lightroom will then look at the exif data and determine what camera style was used, and select the apropriate one from the list. You can look at what styles are available, but you will only see those for the camera you are using. Nikon users won't see Canon and vice verse

See here for some more info

http://www.lightroomkillertips.com/2008/video-camera-profiles-for-lightroom/

Back