Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 OS

Edit My Images
Yes
I understand there is a loss of quality when magnification is concerned, but at the full focal length of 400mm the quality of my images are quite poor. I think the quality is even worse with the optical stabilizer active. I am certian I read somewhere that zoom lenses suffer with quality from either the top or bottom end, so would I be better off with a fixed tele lens? I have seen so many sharp bird shots, but I dunno ~ am I being too fussy?

Check this un-edited crop and see what you think...

When you follow the link, click the picture for a closer view.

To make this image remotely sharp I have to push the unsharp mask to 200% and at this level of sharpening noise becomes very visable.

Have a look here:-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilmacg/sets/72157613666990694/

Looks to me that the leaf edge just to the right of the sparrow is sharper than the bird so there may be a focussing/depth of field issue.

I have got sharp pics with that lens (cannot post yet), but definately not at it's widest aperture. Zooms usually trade some image quality aspects for the convenience they give and it often shows at the extreme end of their range.

My main gripe with that lens is that I find it a bit of a brute to handle.

How much of a crop is this shot?

If it is 100% then any chance of seeing a scaled down shot of the whole frame?

It is possible that since AF points cover a greater area than the actual viewfinder would suggest that the focus locked onto something else.

I had one of these and sent it back.
It was god awful @ 400mm most of the time. (yes i know i said most of the time) Strange lens that suffers from an identity crisis. Mine showed as a 70-200mm f2.8 in exif data.
Sigmas conclusion.
Oh..must be the wrong chip in it.
On the softness issue. - We are sure its within parameters.

Im still waiting to find out their definition of parameters.

Seemingly the older 170-500mm's are way better than these.

My main gripe with that lens is that I find it a bit of a brute to handle.

It is quite a monster and I can only handle the damn thing when attatched to a monopod or a tripod! And wow, if only I could get the quality out of this lens that you seem to have on your flickr. I am using a Nikon D40x, which only has 3 horizontal AF points, so maybe this is my problem.

That crop is'nt 100%, but I will post a 100% crop tommorow as its a bit late right now and I have work in the morning :(

It is quite a monster and I can only handle the damn thing when attatched to a monopod or a tripod! And wow, if only I could get the quality out of this lens that you seem to have on your flickr. I am using a Nikon D40x, which only has 3 horizontal AF points, so maybe this is my problem.

That crop is'nt 100%, but I will post a 100% crop tommorow as its a bit late right now and I have work in the morning :(

I only use it if I can rest it on a wall etc.

I have a rock solid head height plinth in my garden to rest it on for birds, aircraft and so on.

I have read reports about the AF being erratic, but I find that it depends on the subject.

I tried one fo these last week in LCE.
Mounted on my Canon 30D, I was getting nice crisp images, handheld at 400mm.
It's my current choice for "next lens to get"

I don't intend parting with mine. I think it has great potential.

Here is the 100% crop as promised:

Follow the link, then click the picture for actual size!

Btw, I usually carry this lens on a monopod so it is never completely still so the OS is sometimes used, particularly at 400mm. The problem around here is having birds near enough to take pictures and I have seen people take great shots with 200mm lenses. I can bearly reach the little blighters with my 400mm!!

I've got one and mine is plenty sharp enough. It looks like you have a duff lens, so I would send it back to Sigma for recalibration. Their quality control isn't renowned as the best in the world, so some sub-standard lenses do slip though. I'm more than happy with my example.

Back