TP Charitable Thread - Sponsorship/Donations

Admin #1

Edit My Images
No
We have been having a bit of chinwag over cookies and coffee in the staff room after receiving requests for permission to post charitable donation links and come up with the idea of a thread for these type of links.

Many of our members or their family/friends are taking part in events like Race for Life, Marathons, etc, all in aid of some very worthy causes and whilst we wouldn't necessarily want the OOF flooded with lots of threads asking for the good folk of TP to donate, a single ongoing thread seems like a very good idea, giving members the opportunity to donate if they wish.

There are of course a few guidelines.....
1 - please, only genuine charities, anything that looks suspicious or like a scam will be deleted and the poster may also find they suddenly have their very own private log in page!
2 - If its something where there is a limited time for making donations prior to an event, please edit your post on expiry date to say it is now closed, perhaps replacing the original sponsorship link with a general link to the organisations website for ongoing general donations.
3 - Dont forget to add a little detail in your posts about the charity, especially if its a smaller, less well known one and if you can, the reasons why its so important to you.
4 - please treat this thread with the goodwill with which it was created - you know what I mean! :bat: ;)

So, off you go TP'ers, if you are about to drag your backsides round one of the many Race for Life events, or anything else, get posting - we can't guarantee you will get more donations, but we can give you as much opportunity as possible to get your sponsorpages out there (y)

Just to start the ball rolling.

I'm doing the race with my daughter again in July, in memory of my Dad who I lost 20 years ago and still miss him. This is my third year. It's a very emotional day but well worth it.
http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/carlalucy

Any donations would be gratefully received. :D

I will add the next. My friend from karate lost her husband to cancer towards the end of last year. They have 2 daughers aged 6 and 11 and the older one, Annie, is running Race for Life this month with her mum and a couple of friends. Just to add to Annies loss, she is one of our karate squad and we lost our much loved Sensei Ricky in January this year, so Cancer Research is a charity we all donate to as and when we can.

Annie raised Over £1000 all told, very proud of her, as would her dad have been.

cancer research UK

Ok, I hope this is in the right place *fingers crossed* and it's not a registered charity...but there is a story and it is a good cause...

Once upon a time in 2007, the only UK charity for a specific neurological condition closed.

That condition is Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) also known as Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS). A degenerative neurological illness that can happen to anyone, usually after a minor injury and sometimes for no reason at all. There is absolutely no cure what-so-ever for the condition and it is very poorly understood. Most doctors will come across maybe one case in their entire career.

"Too much hassle", "not enough funding", "too much commitment" and the likes, were what everyone was told, by the charity. This upset alot of people, but since in the UK there is only appoximately 11,500 people with the condition and around half will get better, in the big picture, not many cared and the fate was sealed and once again those people didn't matter. Goodbye support network, welcome back feelings of isolation.

Over a few rants, conversations and girly chats on the telephone, by email and on MSN, a few people decided that it simply wasn't acceptable! They couldn't stop the charity or forum being closed down, so they'd have to do something about it themselves. After reading up about starting a charity, it was decided that there were too many hoops to jump through to get government funding and reconition to become a registered charity and to do that with their health problems would be incredibly difficult to say the least, so decided that the best option would be to start an awareness campaign with a support forum. That way, they could raise awareness around their health and eliminate all of the awkward things like money, that a charity has to involve themselves with.

"So...what's that got to do with anything? How can anyone help with it - and you don't want my money - so what do you want?!" I hear you ask.

Well... what I'd like is for you to look at the website and pass on the URL to at least one friend. If you would like to support the campaign, all we ask is that you promote the website, for example, put a link on your website or a link and short write up of what RSD is and we'll return the favour, promoting your website.

www.fightingrsd.com Raising Awareness of RSD/CRPS

I have a little idea why dont we all try to sell one photo each and donate the proceeds here for the mods to pick a charity out of the bag and donate it to them once a year, then the next year pull another worthy cause out of the bag.
It may be a good thing to do

My girls school is trying to raise funds to buy six cameras to allow the teachers to have a photographic record of activities done.

Firstly, any suggestions - I was thinking a FUji bridge, but then I would.

Also, we have an Auction night this Friday, and I thought given the quality of lots, someone may want to bid from here.

All the details on here: http://web.me.com/fosmi/home/Welcome.html

Great items from Kylie, Darren CLarke, Lee Westwood, Open golf Tickets, MOnty Panesar signed ball for the cricketers, Etc. Etc.

Take a peak, and mention TP when you email with a bid.

THanks!

Lawrie

Full list of lots as follows:

LOT 1 For golf fans 2 tickets to final day of the Open 19 July

LOT 2 ‘Titleist’ golf glove worn and signed by Lee Westwood

LOT 3 Visor worn and signed by Lee Westwood

LOT 4 Kylie Minogue signed postcard

LOT 5 Signed Darren Clarke limited edition white shirt and
commemorative “Pink Friday” book

LOT 6 Signed Darren Clarke promo card

LOT 7 Signed Rory Mcilroy promo card

LOT 8 Family ticket (2 adults and 2 children) for a one day game
at Lancashire County Cricket Club

LOT 9 Signed Michael Vaughan Promo card

LOT 10 Signed Monty Panesar Practice ball

LOT 11 Signed Gordon Ramsey photograph

LOT 12 Signed Everton football (2006 - 2007 season)

LOT 13 Signed Manchester City football (2006 - 2007 season)

LOT 14 Signed Everton player cards: Elano; Shaeleum Logan
and Micah Richards

LOT 15 Current Everton team photo with signed letter from
Graham Sharp

LOT 16 Signed photograph of Darth Vader

LOT 17 4 Premier gift vouchers for Wolverhampton Racecourse
(valid until end of March 2010, excluding Boxing Day)

LOT 18 Kylie Minogue signed ‘Ulitimate Kylie’ 2 disc CD

Reactions: Col
Ok, I hope this is in the right place *fingers crossed* and it's not a registered charity...but there is a story and it is a good cause...

Once upon a time in 2007, the only UK charity for a specific neurological condition closed.

That condition is Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) also known as Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS). A degenerative neurological illness that can happen to anyone, usually after a minor injury and sometimes for no reason at all. There is absolutely no cure what-so-ever for the condition and it is very poorly understood. Most doctors will come across maybe one case in their entire career.

"Too much hassle", "not enough funding", "too much commitment" and the likes, were what everyone was told, by the charity. This upset alot of people, but since in the UK there is only appoximately 11,500 people with the condition and around half will get better, in the big picture, not many cared and the fate was sealed and once again those people didn't matter. Goodbye support network, welcome back feelings of isolation.

Over a few rants, conversations and girly chats on the telephone, by email and on MSN, a few people decided that it simply wasn't acceptable! They couldn't stop the charity or forum being closed down, so they'd have to do something about it themselves. After reading up about starting a charity, it was decided that there were too many hoops to jump through to get government funding and reconition to become a registered charity and to do that with their health problems would be incredibly difficult to say the least, so decided that the best option would be to start an awareness campaign with a support forum. That way, they could raise awareness around their health and eliminate all of the awkward things like money, that a charity has to involve themselves with.

"So...what's that got to do with anything? How can anyone help with it - and you don't want my money - so what do you want?!" I hear you ask.

Well... what I'd like is for you to look at the website and pass on the URL to at least one friend. If you would like to support the campaign, all we ask is that you promote the website, for example, put a link on your website or a link and short write up of what RSD is and we'll return the favour, promoting your website.

www.fightingrsd.com Raising Awareness of RSD/CRPS

I am aware of this very painful condition but am happy to click on the link as sufferers deserve all the help they can get.
Sue

Not asking for a monetary donation as such but did you know that there's something like only 4% of the eligible population that actually donate and the National Blood Service are running low?

I'm a donor (when I can as I have so many nerve block procedures that I have to leave it a while) but are you?

http://www.blood.co.uk/SessionSearcher/search.aspx

Do something special today, save someone's life. I have

(Mods, please delete this if it's inappropriate)

Guys, I've just had my 2010 London Marathon place confirmed by Oxfam; a great organisation that works hard to find lasting solutions to global poverty and injustice.

Although the event isn't for another 8 months, I'd like to reach an ambitious target of £2000 before Christmas; any donations would be hugely appreciated!

http://www.justgiving.com/sponsorsi

I have a friend that is trying to raise £20,000 to bring over 12 children from Chernobyl so they can have medical treatment. If anyone can help our would like info then let me know. Here you can see two children from Chernobyl that have just been over to Scotland.

3859630411_dd0de23997_m.jpg
3860414564_af886f2488_m.jpg

Photos by Rhoddy Stewart

Last edited:
O.K. .... not an appeal, an offer of help. Mods - feel free to delete this if you think it's inappropriate.

As well as photography my other hobby is metal detecting. I run my own forum which has a couple of hundred members from all over the country and we like to get together a few times a year, detect during the day and get drunk at night. We normally camp or cravan near to where we are detecting.

We also pay for the pleasure!

So, if anyone has access to some farmland - either arable or pasture and can arrange for us to invade it for a weekend then we will donate all profits to a charity of your choice. The only expenses that are taken out are for a skip and a couple of portaloo's.

In addition to this, on the Saturday night of a digging weekend we sometimes arrange to take over a local pub and hold a quiz night. The locals are welcome to join in, the quizzes are generally £1 for each entrant, teams of four. It's normal to do this on a winner takes all basis. It's also normal for the winning team to be emotionally blackmailed ino donating their winnings into the charity as well.

The amount of land available dictates how many people we have on a dig, we held one recently that benefitted the local church restoration fund by over £3,000 - that's an aexceptionally high amount though. We'll normally raise between £500 and £1500 in a weekend.

We did one in Cornwall a couple of years ago to the benefit of the Chernobyl children, I think we raised about £1,200 toward a holiday fund for them.

Last edited:
Not asking for a monetary donation as such but did you know that there's something like only 4% of the eligible population that actually donate and the National Blood Service are running low?

I'm a donor (when I can as I have so many nerve block procedures that I have to leave it a while) but are you?

http://www.blood.co.uk/SessionSearcher/search.aspx

Do something special today, save someone's life. I have

(Mods, please delete this if it's inappropriate)

I already donate and so does my hubby as he is an A blood group......rare I know and I'm O+ :)

Hi folks

I am trying to raise some money to be able to pay for at least one Shelterbox Rescue Kit for the Haiti survivors.

The kit contains:

* A ten-person tent with privacy partitions that allow its occupants to divide the space as they see fit
* A range of other survival equipment including thermal blankets and insulated ground sheets, essential in areas where temperatures plummet at nightfall
* Life-saving means of water purification. Water supplies often become contaminated after a major disaster, as infrastructure and sanitation systems are destroyed, this presents a secondary but no less dangerous threat to survivors than the initial disaster itself.
* A basic tool kit containing a hammer, axe, saw, trenching shovel, hoe head, pliers and wire cutters. These items enable people to improve their immediate environment, by chopping firewood or digging a latrine, for example. Then, when it is possible, to start repairing or rebuilding the home they were forced to leave.
* A wood burning or multi-fuel stove that can burn anything from diesel to old paint. This provides the heart of the new home where water is boiled, food is cooked and families congregate. In addition, there are pans, utensils, bowls, mugs and water storage containers.
* Each box can be adapted to the individual needs of the disaster area, for example, following the Javanese earthquake in 2006, when some resources were available locally or could be salvaged from one storey buildings, the overwhelming need was for shelter – so ShelterBox just sent tents, packing two in each box. The box itself is lightweight and waterproof and has been used for a variety of purposes in the past – from water and food storage containers to a cot for a newly born baby.
* And lastly, but I think just as importantly, each box contains a children’s pack containing drawing books, crayons and pens. For children who have lost most, if not all, of their possessions, these small gifts are treasured.

1263728895_1_FT0_shelter_inside_.jpg

Each box costs £490. I have managed to raise £110 today, so only £380 to go for the first box. If you can spare a little bit of money I'd be extremely grateful.

Please go to my JustGiving Donations Page and make your donation.

Huge thanks in advance to anyone that donates. Hopefully we can give a few people a home again in amongst the devastation.

Last edited:
Hi, just seen this thread, so apologies, as I had posted elsehwere in the Out of Focus forum.

Anyway, a mate and I are cycling from Land's End to John O'Groats in September, raising funds for the Multiple Sclerosis Trust and Macmillan Cancer Support. We will be cycling 1000+ miles in 16 days.

Our website is http://www.fatheadandpinhead.com

Our facebook group is http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=442041665021

Our justgiving pages arehttp://www.justgiving.com/fathead and http://www.justgiving.com/pinhead

Even if you do not wish to donate, please join our facebook group to help raise the profile of this challenge and the charities.

Many Thanks (y)

FightingRSD is arranging a worldwide coffee morning to raise awareness of RSD/CRPS on 28th May. The idea is that on that day, over coffee or whatever, on your coffee break or with friends, wherever you are, you talk about RSD to raise awareness. It's an awareness raiser not a fundraiser. More info can be found on the Facebook page - www.facebook.com/fightingrsd

Something simple that everyone can take part in, that can really make a difference.

Another link is www.shoutaboutrsd.co.uk

Last edited:
I'm running the Race for life next Saturday (1st May) im memory of my Dad who passed away last July after losing his battle to Lung and Throat Cancer :(

I'm doing the 10k and have been working really hard for the last 2 months for this race, it's my first time and deffo not my last :D

Any donations would be gratefully received every penny really does count.

http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/clarebillman

Thank you for looking

Hi guys.

I am currently doing an intern ship at a Newcastle based charity called COCO (comrades of children overseas).

The charity is focused on projects that try to help provide education and healthcare to disadvantaged children in developing countries. Most of our projects are based in Africa, but we also have sites in Asia and Europe.

We are trying to put together a Photography/Film project which entails a high quality photographic project and a documentary about water shortages in Tanzania.

We are looking for donations to help get the ball rolling. If you are interested in donating either money or equipment please email me at darren@coco.org.uk.

For more info on the charity visit www.coco.org.uk

In October 2011 I am taking part in a 10 day Charity Challenge in Peru to Machu Piccu to rasie money for the premature baby charity Bliss. Bliss, is a special care baby charity, providing vital support and care to premature and sick babies across the UK. They also fund ground-breaking research and campaign for babies to receive the best possible level of care regardless of when and where they are born.

For my part the I have to raise a total of £2975.

The trek starts in Cusco after we have flown out to Lima, and passes through many places including Pikillaqta, Cuncani, Huacahuasi, Ollantaytambo and Machu Picchu. It involves trekking for about 6 to 8 hours and day across varied terrian which will provide us with the pyhsical part of the challenge. Accomodation will be a combination of camping and hotels, and I can imaging that after 8 hours of walking there are going to be a few of us that are looking forward to a well earnt shower.

Along the way we will get to see first hand the local people, the lanscape and a very differnt way of life to the one many of us are used to living.

For further info on the charity: http://bliss.org.uk
My Challenge Blog: http://kimscharitychallenge.co.uk
Support me on Facebook: Kim's Charity Trek For Bliss
For donations: JustGiving

I feel a bit cheeky posting this as newbie but I support Hope Rescue in South Wales who do a fantastic job finding rescue places and foster homes for pound dogs and on 29th May one of the very brave volunteers is going start a 177 mile walk the length of the English/Welsh border with her little dog Basil.

This is what Hope do.....

Hope Rescue is not a rescue in the conventional sense. Established in 2005, we are primarily a co-ordinating rescue. Most of our work involves moving dogs from put to sleep or emergency situations. We secure rescue spaces for these dogs with reputable rescues such as the Dogs Trust, Blue Cross and RSPCA, together with a number of excellent smaller rescues and breed rescues. We will also transport them to the rescue and cover many thousands of miles every month.

And this is where you can find out more. You can even join them on their walk if you want.

Offa Dyke 29th May

And even if you can just spread the word and put up a poster (which I'm sure you can down load from the site) then that will help.

Thanks

Hi, Last year i cycled the Trans Penine Trail Bike trail from coast to coast and raised money for the Dogs Trust and Leukemia.

This year i am back on the bike and heading out to do a series of events rather than one, so have lined up the Manchester to Liverpool, Manchester to Chester and the Manchester to Blackpool, approx 130 miles for the 3.

This year i have chosen a differnet charity and if anyone would be kind enough to read the link, regarding the charity i would appreciate it and should you have a few spare quid, your sponsorship would mean a lot to me.

http://www.justgiving.com/carlo-mullen

Thanks

Carlo

I've signed up to the Suffolk Villages 45k Charity Bike Ride on 27th June for the British Heart Foundation.

I'm shamelessly asking for your sponsorship I'd really really really appreciate anything you can spare, it can be your good deed for the day!

http://original.justgiving.com/conwaymx

Any money you can help me raise would be fantastic

Thanks everyone

http://www.justgiving.com/RossyRaysBikeRide2010

If anyone can help with a small donation my cousin has organised a big bike ride to raise funds to keep this swimming club for people with learnng disabilities going.RAYS is based in Rossendale in Lancashire and it gives the members something to look forward to, costs about £5000 a year to fund it...

They set off in a couple of days and they are about 86% of their £5K target so every little helps.

Thank you for looking:)

Kath

http://www.justgiving.com/Robert-Edge

I've signed up for a 50mile sponsored ride in September for the MS Society.
I was diagnosed with Relapsing/Remitting MS in May this year, so by doing this ride i can support the MS society who provide help not only to people with MS but those that provide care and support.

Thanks.

Robb

:help:I am not sure I have done this right or going about it the right way, but I am trying to help someone the way you lot have helped me, a friend of mine is doing a sponsored parachute jump on August 1st and has no knowledge of how to create a sponsorship site. So she mailed me earlier asking for help. The jump is in aid of a 10 year old boy who is severely handicapped due to a brain tumour and Jills(my friend from school) mother who is suffering with breast cancer.

Could I please ask for any help towards the required amount she needs for the sponsorship and anything extra after she has paid for the tandem jump goes between the two worthwhile causes.

100% of whats donated goes to jill to pay for the jump and raise money.
Thanks please visit

Jump For Joy & Joshua

Total as of 30/7/2010 Jill has raised just over £420 ready for her jump on Sunday thanks to the 2 off here that donated
Thank you, just trying to do a little of what I have recieved.

If it looks wrong or any comments please point me in the right direction. (y)

PLUS AN EXCELLENT CHANCE TO GO OUT TOGGING.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right place or not, but I would just like to bring a charitable website to people's attention. The website is www.kiva.org and they enable loans to individuals/groups of people, mainly in the developing world (but also elsewhere). You lend money in blocks of $25 (via paypal etc) which then goes to these people for a specific purpose, eg. tools/things to sell. They increase the profit of their small business, and pay back the loan. You then get updates and also the money back! (you get no interest however). So the same $25 can be lent again and again and again.

Small print: The interest charged on the loans is higher than the average here- due to the fact that they are for small amounts, and the administration cost is high (especially in remote area's). These lenders also need to be profitable in order to survive, and help their customers.

My cousin and best mate will be attempting to climb, walk, run and crawl up every summit over 3000ft (914m) in Cymru within 24 hours. That’s 15 mountains, a distance of about 26 miles (42km) without counting the walks up to and down from the start and finish point, totalling about 11,500ft (3500m) of accent and decent.

We are planning on starting the stopwatch at the top of Foel Fras and finishing on Yr Wyddfa (Snowdon). We hope to complete the challenge at the end of July 2010 weather permitting.

All money raised will go to the Shooting Star Specialist Cancer Unit in Wrecsam Maelor Hospital in memory of our Uncle, Brian Catherall who recently passed away after a long battle with cancer. Also the Unit has treated and cared for other family and friends including my dad Stuart. This is one way of saying thank you to the Shooting Star Unit and all its hardworking and dedicated staff.

I will be taking my camera, so hope to document the whole trip in pictures,

WELSH BIG ONES

Thanks

Antony

It's that time of year again - Race for Life time!

I'm doing the Chesterfield event again but this time on my own, my daughter isn't doing it this year. This will be my 4th year. It's a very addictive and emotive day.

Doing it in memory of my Dad again.

Any donations gratefully received. (y)

http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/carlalucy

My girlfriend Rachel and her mum Karen, doing Race for Life on 4th July 2010

http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/karenandrachelhagan

Its would be great if you sponsor her, just two pound or more is mean alot to us and everyone who got cancer and saved millions of lives.

Rach's step-mum got bowel cancer and at the moment she on chemo, she getting better :) My ex girlfriend Bhavika has died of cancer in 2004, i miss her alot :(

If you already sponsor to race for life, thank you :)

"Many thanks for your support – Together we will beat cancer. Lots of love Karen and Rachel xxx"

Hello Everyone,
I have read some of the other posts in this thread and I am touched by the stories and generosity of those involved in fund raising. I can see that TP’ers are being “tapped up” for many very worthy causes, but in any event here’s my request.

I am raising money for a small charity called African Revival by taking part in a 500KM bike ride across Zambia. African Revival build schools and provide basic education and teacher training in Zambia and other African nations.
Zambia faces a difficult situation since gaining independence some time ago. While it is a peaceful and friendly country average income is falling year on year and life expectancy is just 41 years of age.

Think about that for a moment, if you are over forty you would be dead or dying if you had had the misfortune to be born in Zambia.
As if to add insult to injury the rate of death at birth is over 20% of live births.

Through education people can liver longer better lives than if they did not have that advantage. This lifelong benefit is why African Revival promotes education programs rather than headline grabbing “relief” aid.

There is more information on my just giving page www.justgiving.com/zambiaed

With over 20,000 people on TP you can make a difference with just £1 if we all get involved. Please give that pound
Please bear in mind you can make an even bigger difference with £10 or £100 of course!

In addition to money you can help in two other ways:-

The charity is looking for more people to take part in this challenge, join us. There is a link from my just giving page.

Please distribute this link and information www.justgiving.com/zambiaed to everyone you can.

Never has “every little helps” been so true

:help:I am not sure I have done this right or going about it the right way, but I am trying to help someone the way you lot have helped me, a friend of mine is doing a sponsored parachute jump on August 1st and has no knowledge of how to create a sponsorship site. So she mailed me earlier asking for help. The jump is in aid of a 10 year old boy who is severely handicapped due to a brain tumour and Jills(my friend from school) mother who is suffering with breast cancer.

Could I please ask for any help towards the required amount she needs for the sponsorship and anything extra after she has paid for the tandem jump goes between the two worthwhile causes.

100% of whats donated goes to jill to pay for the jump and raise money.
Thanks please visit

Jump For Joy & Joshua

Facebook Event

Thank you, just trying to do a little of what I have recieved.

Last edited:
I've donated Julian, I'd have liked to have donated more but I've an exhaust to buy for my son's car and a catalytic converter to buy for mine. :9

:help:I am not sure I have done this right or going about it the right way, Just to keep you right Julian, it should be posted in here where there are similar requests.:)

I've donated Julian, I'd have liked to have donated more but I've an exhaust to buy for my son's car and a catalytic converter to buy for mine. :9

Fantastic every penny will go to these two worthy causes

Julian

As Mal has said this is not the forum for charity help. There is a special thread for that which he has given. I suggest this appeal should be moved there (mods?).

If your friend wants to very easily set up a fundraising sponsorship page she can do so, or you could do it for her, at http://www.justgiving.com/

My son used it very successfully when he has done triathlons,runs and bike rides and he said it was very easy to do.

I hope this is useful.

Sue

Hi Guys,
Just wanted to let you all know I have had my first donation at www.justgiving.com/zambiaed thank you to that man who gave £20 (over £25 with gift aid). I just need another 99 people to do the same as just giving says this is 1% of the 3K min target!

The good news is my GP has signed me as fit to take part in spite of the middle age spread! Although he was a bit concerned about anyone doing this 500Km challenge who was not used to the heat of Africa.

I have been reading more about Zambia and the more I read the more I’m glad to be supporting African revival.

If you would like to know more about Zambia take a look at the CIA factbook at https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/za.html

Back