Sprint Golspie June 09

Edit My Images
Yes
This is my first attempt at a photo post so bear with me in case it all goes wrong. Anyway, I thought that I would upload some photos taken at the recent Sprint held over the 6/7th June 09. I have not had the camera long and I thought that I would try to get some comment on the results, good or bad. The only way to learn is from those more experienced so here are the photos below.
I have to add that there has been some cropping, some shadow/highlight tweaks and a touch sharpening in Elements. All photos were hand held using a 70-200mm.

Regards

Sprint_Golspie_7_June_09_4_.jpg

Sprint_Golspie_7_June_09_1_.jpg

Sprint_Golspie_7_June_09_2_.jpg

Sprint_Golspie_7_June_09_3_.jpg

Sprint_Golspie_7_June_09_6_.jpg

Sprint_Golspie_6_June_09_4_.jpg

Sprint_Golspie_6_June_09_2_.jpg

Sprint_Golspie_6_June_09_1_.jpg

Well, for technical image quality, i.e. sharpness and focus point etc. I'd say there's nothing to worry about.
There are some strange 'jaggies' going on, it's fairly noticeable in 2&3 particularly but the filesizes are pretty small so it's probably some sort of compression artifacts.
I really like no.6 because you've got water droplets splashing all over the place, always looks good and no.8 is up there as it has the cleanest background.

I think a lot of people on here would like to see some panning work from you, nice blurry wheels and backgrounds. Real good start with your new kit though :D

Apart from being uber over sharpened you have caought some great action in these, well done :)but a very good set for your first time, keep up the good work :)

I am not sure how some posts have photos that look really sharp at the required size. Maybe it's a photo quality thing I am missing and will have to work on.
Anyway as for panning I did try a few at the Sprint with not much success. See Photo 1. Maybe I should use the monopod for more support as the Camera and lens are quite heavy compared to my previous camera. Maybe a bit of perserverence and practice.
I did seem to have what I thought were better results on the panning front with my Olympus E510 and 40-150 kit lens at a Superbike event last year. See Photo 2
Thanks for both your comments, much appreciated and gives me something to work on.

Regards

CAR_71_Golspie_6_June_09_6_800x566.jpg

British_Superbikes_Knockhill_2008_5_.jpg

I do like 7 The sheer look of terror in the drivers eyes is pure Majic,you can just imagine him saying OOPS DAd I got it wrong again!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

Hard to say from 1 comparison taken on different days.
Where does sharpening and resizing fit into your workflow?
Sharpening should be the last thing, after a resize.
And how do you save them? That panned car is 73k which is quite small again, I usually save my photo's at about 150k (for posting to forums) and go up if the quality degrades too much.

I have various bits of software I use from Picasa to Elements which I have been using/learning more recently. I usually zoom to 100% and sharpen as required, then I do any other adjustments. Usually the like of shadows and highlights. I then save the adjustments in say Elements. As for re-sizing, I just use a bit of software that puts a option on the right click menu when you click a photo. I pick the 800 x 600 option and that's it. Maybe I need a bit of help on this one as I thought I had it sussed. When you say you adjust the size, how do you do that and keep the size as required for the upload.?

Regards

If I were you I'd stick to Elements for now. Picasa is fine and so are right click add ons, but you have a better option.
The better way to work would be to do your shadow/highlights, curves, levels etc.
Then go Image>Image size and set the longest side to 800px.
Then do your sharpen, start at say unsharp mask, 100% 0.3px.
Then do your save, either save as... or save for web.

congrats
I love number 6 in the first post but would crop it tighter...the spray action is great.
lovely pan on the bike in the 2nd shots #2, nice and clean

Thank you all for your comments, gives me encouragment.
Thanks to Cyclone for the advice once again. I will have a go at your Elements suggestion

Regards

like already said there are some funny artefacts in a couple of the first ones but not a bad set at all. Is that the gokart track they're running on? Haven't been there for a while.

Dod,
You are correct, it is the kart track. I had passed through Golspie too many times to remember but had never been to the track until I took these photos the other weekend. Great facility and spectating is spot on. Plenty parking right at track side, toilets and food. Even the beach for the kids.

Cheers

Back