Tamron 17-50 images

Name
Allan
Edit My Images
No
I am looking for a few images from a Tamron 17-50 f2.8, preferably a close up of something ( flowerbud etc) around 50mm f2.8 in jpeg format with no PP.
Most people rave over how sharp the Tammy is and that it isnt worth replacing it with a Nikon 17-55 f2.8. I just want to check the quality/sharpness against mine to check mine is performing as it should.

Allan

This is the only one i can find at the moment that was taken on my 17-50 Tammy.

3586599812_c1082dbb6f_o.jpg

What aperture did you use on that one?
Allan

Fairly sure it was wide open as i was testing the lens after getting it back from being calibrated.

If its under warranty its always worth the £7 postage to send it in for calibration - it cant hurt :)

Just taken this now - shiny thing by the window of my hotel room. It's at 50mm and f2.8, saved on camera as jpeg

Have to say I am thinking of the 17-55 Nikon 2.8, but at around a third of the price keen to see what a Tamron 2.8 can do.

I think you should go for the Nikon - otherwise you'll always have doubts! Neither of these images would convince me a Tamron was better than the Nikon!

I think you should go for the Nikon - otherwise you'll always have doubts! Neither of these images would convince me a Tamron was better than the Nikon!

They are not there to convince that its 'better' than the nikon, just that it can offer very similar performance for a fraction of the price.

Well we all have standards - I know what mine are - and they don't include Tamron/Sigma

Well maybe your livelyhood doesn't depend on your pictures?!

I am looking for a few images from a Tamron 17-50 f2.8, preferably a close up of something ( flowerbud etc) around 50mm f2.8 in jpeg format with no PP.

Don't really do flowers but I checked my Lightroom database for 17-50 and I have this.

http://www.odysseus-software.co.uk/LensTests/2007_04210047.jpg

100% crop.

http://www.odysseus-software.co.uk/LensTests/2007_04210047-crop.jpg

Bearing in mind this is on a Fuji S5 Pro is a bit soft due to its strong AA filter. but it might give you an idea?

Well we all have standards - I know what mine are - and they don't include Tamron/Sigma
Does that mean my Sigma 300-800mm is crap!? wish someone had told me before i splashed out on the useless bugger

No it doesn't - and I do have one Sigma - the 150mm macro - probably the best lens they make - but I've had a few others - and sold them again. I know it's not all about equipment - but you must have 100% confidence in your equipment if you depend on it to get the picture.

No it doesn't - and I do have one Sigma - the 150mm macro - probably the best lens they make - but I've had a few others - and sold them again. I know it's not all about equipment - but you must have 100% confidence in your equipment if you depend on it to get the picture.
I do have 100% confidence in the Sigmonster, It comes in handy for beating muggers off! LoL I'm only a snapper so it'll have to do for now.

I think when OEM lenses are blindly recommended over the alternatives, it can sound a lot like brand snobbery. Maybe that's not the case here and you have had bad experiences with non OEM glass :shrug:

Me..... I've had the Nikon 14-24 and 24-70 on my D700 and ended up selling them after trying the Tamron twins (17-35 and 28-75) They NEVER let me down and i have 100% confidence in the fact that they WILL deliver when needed (and have done many many times :))

Each to their own. I'm in the market for a 24-70mm! But only the Nikon!

I must put that on my wish list then!
LoL
It does attract the numpties when out and about and one prat wanted me to hand it over (he did have a stanley knife, so very hard attacking a disabled snapper)? anyway ayoung lad came into the hide just at the right time (phew) gave them a kicking LoL
I'm seriously thinking of selling up and taking up painting LoL

you think a paint brush is a better weapeon than a 300-800? wow!

love your Pigmy Goat shot! got a few myself (goats that is)

thanks - we had five kids this year and I just sold a pic of one to a zoo in California for a very large $$$ :)

Anyway back to the Tamron discussion (sorry guys for drifting), its one I haven't really heard much of but judging by the shots above its pretty good! has anyone got any flower shots using the Tamron?

thanks - we had five kids this year and I just sold a pic of one to a zoo in California for a very large $$$ :)
5 kids in one year! blimey are you after Madonna's record? LoL
They are great escape artists too!

Well you troll the talk, but do you walk the walk :nono:
I'm sorry AWP but you've just trolled this thread, have offered absolutely nothing of value bar one post that shows you will only buy Nikon lenses.

Personally I did have the chance to buy the Nikon 17-55 in the Play offer. ummed and arred about it, told a friend who bought one (and received it) and decided to leave it till the next morning, by which time it was too late. I was going to compare the two and sell the one I least liked.

I like the results from mine, think it's a super little lens. Did I mention it's size ? - comparing to my friend's new toy (see above), it's about 4/5ths of the size, and a hell of a lot lighter. Sure the build quality on the Nikon is exceptional, but it's also very good on the Tamron.

I have heard some scare stories about Tamron quality control, infering that if it's not a 'Made in Japan' lens then you should try them in the shop to find which ones are sharp and which are not.

Well you troll the talk, but do you walk the walk :nono:
I'm sorry AWP but you've just trolled this thread, have offered absolutely nothing of value bar one post that shows you will only buy Nikon lenses.

Personally I did have the chance to buy the Nikon 17-55 in the Play offer. ummed and arred about it, told a friend who bought one (and received it) and decided to leave it till the next morning, by which time it was too late. I was going to compare the two and sell the one I least liked.

I like the results from mine, think it's a super little lens. Did I mention it's size ? - comparing to my friend's new toy (see above), it's about 4/5ths of the size, and a hell of a lot lighter. Sure the build quality on the Nikon is exceptional, but it's also very good on the Tamron.

I have heard some scare stories about Tamron quality control, infering that if it's not a 'Made in Japan' lens then you should try them in the shop to find which ones are sharp and which are not.

:clap: :plus1: :clap:

I agree with the comments following this, but without the snobbish overtones.
If i was shooting weddings, with canon kit, I would have L glass.
unfortunately my budget for my hobby does not include £1000 lens options.

the most expensive I think I have is the 50-150 f2.8 sigma. frankly I would have rather had the 70-200 f2.8 IS...guess why I went for the sigma?

my choice for walk about lens lovliness on my trusty 40D is
16-35L IS 2.8
17-40L
17-55 IS 2.8
Tamron 17-50 2.8
18-55 kit lens
(also I need mid range zoom fast glass for events (ring side fighting) that I shoot)

I can't presently justify the costs vs the rewards.
however, the tamron has been a pretty trusty lens for me, rarely letting me down and price vs performance does a good job. also for touristy papping, which is partly what it's for...the weight is very aggreeable.
i'll upgrade to the 17-55 maybe next year...but for now the tamron will do nicely
same with picking your camera body, ideally I'd have a 1Dn or a D3 with similarly priced glass
have seen some lovely D3 shots at <6000 ISO...wow

Back